The National Championship Events offer year-round opportunities for high level competition outside of the traditional "Road to Worlds." Find out more about a National Event near you!

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
when i enquiered about running Candain nationals 2011 in feb or March of 2012 i was told that was to late and that nationals season is Feb to Jan, so an june event would fall under 2013 ie you can't be that late, for 2012. I think there is a whole lot of confution and blame on more then one side here, ie why did some one applie for more then one national in a given year and why was it athorized, this is a mess i agree and i hope it can be sorted out to satisfaction of all involved.

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
For those playing at home Admiral G went 4-0 to take todays event. Gary is a fantastic guy, it is awesome he won today. Gary was playing relativity.

Thanks to Mike for organising and hosting things today, and Gary, Ben, Greg and Adam for coming out on an ugly day

Everyone else, travel home safe

Honest

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Ok, while I would have loved to have been down under and both meet and play with the Australian players, I didn't sign up for these events nor was I there. Contrary to what the listing shows/claims. How odd.

I also have to agree with the change being a screwup, just two days before. Maybe if it had been two months notice, ok. But not days.

:( :o :? :thumbsdown:

By Mike2E
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
And that was the weekend that was! Or, should I say, a Dillon Trifecta!

Congrats to winners Greg Dillon (1E Nationals), Ben Dillon (Tribbles Nationals) Garry Dillon (2E I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Nationals).

Hope everyone enjoyed the weekend; many thanks especially to those who travelled interstate to participate.

I've noticed that we've had bizarre (as in, unexpected) recent additions to tourney results as well - no idea how/why this happened - certainly not something I've done and out of my control. Hopefully some kind admin/tech person will be able to resolve this.

As for the debacle regarding the downgrading of the 2E event:

After thinking about it last night, I retract my earlier 'Eh, stuff happens', and put forth a hearty 'Screw this', because yeah I'm pissed off about it.

In the grand scheme of all things TrekCC related, I know I'm pretty low on the totem pole, but I do what I can, as best as I can, for the love of the game and to keep it alive in my city. Imagine how excited I was when I found out that I was going to be hosting/running a weekend of National-ranked events - and then imagine my disappointment at having to explain to all that the most anticipated event of the weekend - that 60% of attendees had travelled considerable distances for - was downgraded.

Rather than type, then delete, snarky comments ad nauseum, I'm just going to sign off and ask that TPTB see *some* way in which this can be resolved - either reversing the decision to downgrade, or pointing out/setting up/clearly clarifying a set calendar for Nationals. This whole debacle has soured not just the weekend, but my desire to continue to be involved with the game.

By RedDwarf (Unjustly Banned)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I can only apologise to everyone involved again. I didn't feel good doing this, but fully expected the pitchforks to be out if we allowed Australia two Nationals events in the same year. I knew I was going to upset people whichever decision I made, and decided to enforce the rules rather than bend them.
AdmiralG wrote:To clarify, maybe someone could tell us what the cycle is for the annual events.
For example, does the annual cycle start at the end of the World Championships or at the end of June or September or some other time on the calendar?
Nationals are meant to be once per calender year. For reasons I don't want to go into, a couple of years ago, January 31st became the "end" of the year.

So...
Nationals held between February 1st 2013 and January 31st 2014 are "2013 Nationals events", and
Nationals held between February 1st 2014 and January 31st 2015 are "2014 Nationals events", and
Nationals held between February 1st 2015 and January 31st 2016 are "2015 Nationals events", etc.

I'd rather have December 31st as the end of the year for Nationals , but that boat has now sailed. We're stuck with the system we have.
chompers wrote:2012 Nationals were not held in 2012, they were held June 2013
No. There were no Australian Nationals held in 2012. The event you describe is the 2013 Nationals. I know that because it happened in the middle of 2013.

We're not going to start allowing old Nationals events to be held now just because somebody spotted theirs wasn't held in a particular year. That would be madness.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Could just designate this as Aussie Nats 2014 and let that play thru and then they cant have one till 2015. Could even "forge" the tournament in the system and just enter everything Jan 1st 2014. I think youd be better off doing that then having a ton of people pissed off on a mistake that happened. Again remember its a volunteer group doing all off this, but I get people are mad cuz real money (for some a lot) was spent.

~D
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Nationals are meant to be once per calender year. For reasons I don't want to go into, a couple of years ago, January 31st became the "end" of the year.
Not good enough, explain the reasons AND have them make sense as to why it's impossible to move a Nationals from the day/week before Continentals to 7-8 months before Continentals and not miss an entire year.

Not only is your explanation idiotic because you say it's calendar year and the start is February 1st but it seems like you think it's complicated or difficult to change it.
I'd rather have December 31st as the end of the year for Nationals , but that boat has now sailed. We're stuck with the system we have.
Why? Nationals = bye for Continentals, any simpleton could tell you the National "year" should be end of Continentals -> start of Continentals, some "years" would be shorter than others, doesn't matter. At the moment we have Nationals from 2013 that are giving a bye to Continentals 2014 and what you want to be the Australian Nationals 2014 will give a bye to Continentals 2014. What the fuck are you's doing other than making 1E terrible and me pissed off?

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
Mike2E wrote:Hope everyone enjoyed the weekend; many thanks especially to those who travelled interstate to participate.
I enjoyed myself a lot. You're a great host and a great credit to the community.

Also, congrats to all of the Dillons. Everyone got a title! :D

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
RedDwarf wrote:Nationals are meant to be once per calender year. For reasons I don't want to go into, a couple of years ago, January 31st became the "end" of the year.

So...
Nationals held between February 1st 2013 and January 31st 2014 are "2013 Nationals events", and
Nationals held between February 1st 2014 and January 31st 2015 are "2014 Nationals events", and
Nationals held between February 1st 2015 and January 31st 2016 are "2015 Nationals events", etc.

So is the National calendar completely unhinged from Worlds?

Since Greg Dillon is now the 2013 AusNat champion, could we then hold another Nationals next May, so there are two AusNat byes created for Continentals and Worlds?

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
[quote="RedDwarf"]I can only apologise to everyone involved again. I didn't feel good doing this, but fully expected the pitchforks to be out if we allowed Australia two Nationals events in the same year. I knew I was going to upset people whichever decision I made, and decided to enforce the rules rather than bend them.[quote="RedDwarf"]

I understand your situation Brother, but the decision is still unacceptable. Regardless of procedures, this is what occurred

#The Brisbane 2E Nationals was sanctioned (and accepted as such) through appropriate CC channels

#The event was then advertised on this site. Stoovie put a well viewed post up maybe start of October on this.

#5 people decided to book airfares, accommodation and (in most cases) take extra time off work to attend the event, based on its sanctioning (ie Nationals). Another player commited to the weekend and organised to stay at a mates house and drive 2ish hours down for the event also

#Friday 15th November 5 interstate players arrive in Brisbane

#Saturday 16th November around 3.19am local Brisbane time (international time zones and forum pages may be a little off) you post up on the events advertising thread that the event had been down graded to a local event. To the best of my knowledge the T.O or the AU OP manager had no private correspondence of the change

#Saturday 16th November dinner with Mike2E, he tells all interstate players of the downgrade.

The event was sanctioned and approved by the CCs own methods months ago as a Nationals, and advertised as a Nationals on the CCs site. A mistake happened somewhere with the process. That's fine, I can understand that. I cannot understand why 5 dedicated players should suffer and play a lesser event because of this, its not their fault. Whoevers fault it is needs to face the "pitchfork" crowd and deal with that, its not our concern. The pitchfork crowd invested nothing in this event, the 5 AU players who made an effort to travel did. You could probably make a fair case for false advertising over this. Is their another community anywhere in the world who would accept having an event downgraded 36 hours beforehand after travel? No, so I don't know why we should accept it either

As the T.O of the Australian Academy Championships (that has somehow morphed into the AU Nats) I can tell you I didn't ask for it to become a Nationals event, as that was not its purpose. However, that it somehow has should now not matter. The mistake from the CC end was made, there should be now 2 Nationals and Gary Dillon should be installed as the Australian 2E Champion. I note your concern of allowing Australia 2 2E National events, I would also note that the US has 2 National events a year. Please explain the difference

Honest

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
At times I have the memory retention of a goldfish but I seem to recall it went something like this .....

2012 Nationals were not held in Oz because the CC decided they would be replaced with something else. The something else never happened and the Nationals magically reappeared for some areas whilst others missed out.

Call it whatever you want -- but Garry Dillon deserves his title and it deserves to be recognised as a major event as was advertised.

* Maybe this is an opportunity to launch the replacement for Nationals.
* Maybe this is an opportunity to launch another reason for players to travel and celebrate the game.

There nothing wrong with giving players reason to travel and celbreate this game. Before this happened, BrisVegas only did good things for the game. Why sabotage that for a silly mistake based on a rule that doesn't even exist.

Two more band-aid solutions above. I can keep offering more if it helps, but all you really need is one band-aid.

The longer this goes on, the more damage is done.

I would appreciate the chairman weighing in here and letting us know that the CC is working to fix this. Preferably before the thread gets locked for damage control. :cheersL:

By Cersan
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Russian National Second Runner-Up 2016
Ouch. It is a mess.
Being a fellow nationals organizer myself i must say that i'm very disappointed in how the matter was "solved". We have very small but committed community here and surely you cannot ever punish the players coming to Nationals like this.
The matter was overseen. Ok, i get it, stuff happens, but you can't tell players especially traveling that they came to play local event. Screw up is totally on CC and Australian organizers, not the players.
This should be resolved somehow.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Cersan wrote:Screw up is totally on CC and Australian organizers, not the players.
What Australian organizers? It's certainly not on anyone in the Brisbane group, I'd think. Maybe it's partly on stoovie, but it's not on anyone lower than him.

By Cersan
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Russian National Second Runner-Up 2016
nobthehobbit wrote:
Cersan wrote:Screw up is totally on CC and Australian organizers, not the players.
What Australian organizers? It's certainly not on anyone in the Brisbane group, I'd think. Maybe it's partly on stoovie, but it's not on anyone lower than him.
I don't really know about how it is organized there, and it is certainly not about pointing fingers. But surely Organized play must pay attention to what happening, no matter who it will be Stoovie or James or even Charlie. All that matters is that players should not be notified one day prior major event like it happened.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]