The National Championship Events offer year-round opportunities for high level competition outside of the traditional "Road to Worlds." Find out more about a National Event near you!

By stoovie (Matthyas Kiraly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Can't wait!

*excited*

Party starts Friday night!

By RedDwarf (Unjustly Banned)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I regret to announce that Sunday's Second Edition National Championships has been downgraded to a local event.

As has been pointed out earlier in this thread (which, unfortunately, I hadn't read until now), The 2013 Australian Second Edition National Championships were already held earlier this year.

Please accept my apologies for the mistake in sanctioning a second Nationals event in the same year, and for my not noticing until two days before it was due to start.

I this announcement doesn't lessen anyone's fun in Brisbane, and I wish good luck to all the competitors.

By AdmiralG
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
This is very disappointing.

To clarify, maybe someone could tell us what the cycle is for the annual events.
For example, does the annual cycle start at the end of the World Championships or at the end of June or September or some other time on the calendar?

From my understanding, our National players are trying to move the National Championships away from the same week as the Continentals.

If our cycle that included the 2012/2013 Nationals ended in June or July when our Continentals were decided, then are we not now in the 2013/2014 cycle and attempting to play the Nationals in a similar cycle to everyone else?

By Mike2E
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
[Shrugs]
Eh, stuff happens. If this is the worst thing that happens this weekend, then we're doing ok :)

We've also got an MtG GP(OMGBSWTF) event to contend with in store as well - I'm more concerned about those guys!

Anyway, we still get to catch up with out-of-towners. Maybe we should look at/discuss confirming the intent of having Nationals in Brisbane and Continentals in Sydney during this weekend?

By AdmiralG
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Still disappointed and more than a little upset as I would doubt the ability of the visiting players to be able to visit again in the next six months due to the high cost and tyranny of distance.

Am happy to see one National per year, but WHEN does the year start?

Since Nationals provide a bye to the Continentals for the winner, should not the cycle start after the completion of the Continental? or maybe at the conclusion of the Worlds since this is the objective of the high level events?
Surely we are not using a calendar year as our cycle, as this would make October/November/December non months for playing since Worlds happens in September or October and then what?

I would especially welcome comment that clarifies the annual cycle.
I am unable to find anything on the site or in any of the regulations/rules/guides.

To all things there is a season, turn, turn.

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
That's one almighty fuck up. Don't change your mind two days before an event that half a dozen guys have travelled 1000km to attend. Disgraceful treatment of the playing community.

:thumbsdown:

I hope processes get put into place to ensure this never happens again.

By Wedge772 (Matthew Ting)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Adventurer
1E Australian National Champion 2015
AdmiralG wrote:Since Nationals provide a bye to the Continentals for the winner, should not the cycle start after the completion of the Continental? or maybe at the conclusion of the Worlds since this is the objective of the high level events?.
That makes sense. As the winner of the earlier 2013 Nationals event, I already used a bye for 2013 Continentals. Now nobody will have a bye for 2014 Continentals from an Australian National, unless it's held early in the year.

Very surprised to see this happen, I even mentioned this in a thread in the Period of Review thread I believe. If given the chance, I'd be more than happy to pass on the title of "2013 Australian Nationals winner" to whoever prevails in Brisbane. The earlier event was not as well promoted, and didn't have any interstate players (plus it was Academy format). The winner in Brisbane will be more deserving.

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
RedDwarf wrote:I regret to announce that Sunday's Second Edition National Championships has been downgraded to a local event.

As has been pointed out earlier in this thread (which, unfortunately, I hadn't read until now), The 2013 Australian Second Edition National Championships were already held earlier this year.

Please accept my apologies for the mistake in sanctioning a second Nationals event in the same year, and for my not noticing until two days before it was due to start.

I this announcement doesn't lessen anyone's fun in Brisbane, and I wish good luck to all the competitors.

As people are arriving in the city of the event, 4 of whom travelled 1000kms and 1 who travelled around 3500kms to be here, the event they travelled for (and spent a substantial amount of money to attend) has been downgraded to a local event, even though it was sanctioned and advertised as a national event months ago.

I love Brisbane, the trek community and road trips. However if you think i am happy to spend $750 to travel here for the weekend to play a local event you are mistaken. Especially when i find out the event has been downgraded over a meal the night before the event has been scheduled.

For all the threads, google hangouts etc the cc host as to how to make the game better, how to give the players a better trek experience, how to get new players into this game, the admin goes backwards and gives us this, a local event in place of a nats.

The cc want to know how to make the game better? Lets start by getting your shit together

This is unacceptable

Honest

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
I just spent two week's salary to fly here for a local tournament. Good for me.
HoodieDM wrote:It looks like one Nationals a year. So the earliest you could do it would be Jan 1st 2014.
But shouldn't that year be based around when Worlds occurs? Otherwise you've locked out some twenty five percent of the year as an off season.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Iron Mike wrote:I just spent two week's salary to fly here for a local tournament. Good for me.
HoodieDM wrote:It looks like one Nationals a year. So the earliest you could do it would be Jan 1st 2014.
But shouldn't that year be based around when Worlds occurs? Otherwise you've locked out some twenty five percent of the year as an off season.
Im not arguing. Theres no clear definition of what a "year" is. Is it fiscal Jan to Dec or is it from Worlds to next Worlds or what? I noticed the US Nationals ran at the beginning of the year are listed as 2012 (according to the badges) and then the Asutralia one ran this July was listed as 2013.

~D

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
Interesting .....

Creative accounting, also known as "If the US can do it so can we":

US Nationals are held in January each year for the previous year.

Oz Nationals vary:

2012 Nationals were not held in 2012, they were held June 2013
https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... entID=5644
There were no Nationals in 2012 for Australia. As has been mentioned before, Australia was out of sync with the rest of the world and we are just catching up.

2013 Nationals were held in November 2013 once this mess is all cleared up.

Is it clear to me that the 2013 June event was the 2012 Nationals (they were just held really late) and the current November event is the 2013 event. The error was in the labelling of the June event.

I hope the CC doesn't brush this issue under the carpet as an insignifcant stuffup -- because it si so much bigger than that. The band-aid solution is above.

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]