Check out the trials and troubles of the first Will of the Collective, where the community designed a card for the first time!

Which version should become the final game text for Consume Me!?

Consume Me! Version 1
21%
Consume Me! Version 2
14%
Consume Me! Version 3
26%
Consume Me! Version 4
5%
Consume Me! Version 5
2%
Consume Me! Version 6
12%
Consume Me! Version 7
12%
Consume Me! Version 8
5%
Consume Me! Version 9
5%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Of course, nothing is really final until it appears in print (or in a virtual expansion file, in this case). But - nits picked aside - this is it for the mechanical game text of our first community designed card. There may be a few minor changes to wording or timing, but there will not be any alterations to the spirit of the winning entry.

If you find that your entry didn't make the cut, you might want to check out this article for reasons why. Now, without further delay, here are the options:
Consume Me! Version 1
Dilemma
Place this dilemma on top of its owner's dilemma pile. When this dilemma is placed beneath a mission by a Consume dilemma, your opponent names a skill. Randomly select a personnel with that skill to be killed.
Consume Me! Version 2
Dilemma
Your opponent names a skill. Randomly select a personnel with that skill to be stopped. When this dilemma is placed beneath a mission by a Consume dilemma, your opponent names a skill. Randomly select a personnel with that skill to be killed.
Consume Me! Version 3
Dilemma
Randomly select a personnel. If that personnel costs 2 or less, he or she is stopped. Place this dilemma on top of its owner's dilemma pile. When this dilemma is placed beneath a mission by a Consume dilemma, your opponent names a skill. Randomly select a personnel with that skill to be killed.
Consume Me! Version 4
Dilemma
Unless you have skill, skill, skill, skill, and skill on different personnel, your opponents chooses a personnel to be returned to your hand. When this dilemma is placed beneath a mission by a Consume dilemma, your opponent names a skill. Randomly select a personnel with that skill to be killed.
Consume Me! Version 5
Dilemma
Your opponent names two different skills. Randomly select two personnel present with either of those skills to be stopped. You may prevent this by discarding the top four cards of your deck. When this dilemma is placed beneath a mission by a Consume dilemma, your opponent names a skill. Randomly select a personnel with that skill to be killed.
Consume Me! Version 6
Dilemma
Unless there are no dilemmas beneath this mission, place this dilemma on top of your dilemma pile. When this dilemma is placed beneath a mission by a Consume dilemma, your opponent names a skill. Randomly select a personnel with that skill to be killed.
Consume Me! Version 7
Dilemma
Randomly select two personnel to be stopped. Unless you command two planet missions and two space missions, those personnel are killed instead. When this dilemma is placed beneath a mission by a Consume dilemma, your opponent names a skill. Randomly select a personnel with that skill to be killed.
Consume Me! Version 8
Dilemma
Choose a personnel who has SKILL or SKILL or SKILL to be stopped. If you cannot, then randomly select a personnel to be killed. When this dilemma is placed beneath a mission by a Consume dilemma, your opponent names a skill. Randomly select a personnel with that skill to be killed.
Consume Me! Version 9
Dilemma
Unless you have 2 skill and skill or skill and attribute>X, your opponent may take a card that costs four or more from his or her discard pile into hand. When this dilemma is placed beneath a mission by a Consume dilemma, your opponent names a skill. Randomly select a personnel with that skill to be killed.
As always, feel free to discuss your choices in this thread.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
For people that have been following this design process, it should come as no surprise that I really want to rally for text that self-places that dilemma on top of the dilemma pile in anticipation of being consumed. For reasons that I go into in Decision 5.1, I think this adds much-needed reliability to Consume Me in order to really make it playable. Personally, I really think this feature is important.

Now, my submission (Version 1) is the simplest and most direct expression of this concept. However, Version 3 and Version 6 both have this feature as well, so really I'd be satisfied with either of those. What I'd hate to see is the vote between Versions 1, 3, and 6 get split such that the self-placing text doesn't end up on the dilemma at all.

So, if I may be so bold, I'd like to ask if the submiters of Version 3 and Version 6 might respond to explain the particular advantages of his/her iteration.

Also I want it to be clear that I am not trying to disparage in any way the other submissions; it's just that I feel rather strongly that the self-placing text will be an important feature of Consume Me.
Ambassador
By Linkan (Torbjörn Lindquist)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Architect
CFHollister wrote:For people that have been following this design process, it should come as no surprise that I really want to rally for text that self-places that dilemma on top of the dilemma pile in anticipation of being consumed. For reasons that I go into in Decision 5.1, I think this adds much-needed reliability to Consume Me in order to really make it playable. Personally, I really think this feature is important.
I agree to this.
CFHollister wrote:Now, my submission (Version 1) is the simplest and most direct expression of this concept. However, Version 3 and Version 6 both have this feature as well, so really I'd be satisfied with either of those. What I'd hate to see is the vote between Versions 1, 3, and 6 get split such that the self-placing text doesn't end up on the dilemma at all.
I submitted Version 3, and I think it would be the more useful one (explanation bellow).
  • Version 1 is the simplest, but it doesn't do anything more either.
  • Version 3 is allmost the same, except it can stop a personel if you are lucky. Nice against those wheenie decks. And, the place on top is ment to happen no matter the cost of the personel, so it should be nice even if I miss the selection
  • Version 6 makes it just a tad harder to get it on top, but there is only a very slight difference to version 1.
CFHollister wrote:Also I want it to be clear that I am not trying to disparage in any way the other submissions; it's just that I feel rather strongly that the self-placing text will be an important feature of Consume Me.
I fully agree. But I want Consume Me to do, or at least have the possibility to do, something beside being placed on top when played. And my suggestion shouldn't make the card to expensive to play, since it isn't a garantueed stop.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
grandnagusmorn wrote:Could we get a breakdown on about how much freedom we will have with lore on each of these cards?
Users will be able to submit their choices for lore, which will be filtered down and then voted upon.

-crp

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Versions 1 and 6 simply grant 1 kill.
Version 3 seems the best in representing CFHollister's idea, and it will have Consume Me work directly, without dilemma manipulation.
Version 2 could be helpful in track one particular skill. If properly costed, it could make a good dilemma.
Version 4 seems to incorporate the twist on Urgency. The "your opponent chooses" could be used to target high cost personnel and slow down your opponent. Coupled with Plasma Energy Weapon, it could prove veeery fine :thumbsup:
Version 5 has affinity to n. 4, but the "prevent it through discarding" would fit in a Cardassian or Romulan discard deck.
Version 7 is very original: it has an effect on your mission selection and can be really punishing for [Voy] The Long Journey Home decks. :thumbsup:
Version 8 is quite simple: a basic stop-and(maybe)-kill. Bah
Version 9 interacts with your discard pile, and is the only version not to interfere with opponents' cards. It can help rescue some high cost personnel you accidentally lost by killer dilemmas or discarding from hand/deck.

I like in particular #2,4,5,7,9 it's a hard choice. Suggestions?

By Altoid
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Consume Me! Version 2
Dilemma
Your opponent names a skill. Randomly select a personnel with that skill to be stopped. When this dilemma is placed beneath a mission by a Consume dilemma, your opponent names a skill. Randomly select a personnel with that skill to be killed.
This version is nice and simple. Play it normally, name a skill you get a stop. Let it be consumed, name a skill you get a kill.
I can Imagine this puppy being dual, costing 0 or 1, and being a solid dilemma like Triage.

Also, go set it up so this dilemma gets consumed, there is The Trial Never Ended, so it can help bring TTNE more out of the binder
:thumbsup:

By wweist
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I must agree with the #1,3,6 camp. This is a "consume" focused dilemma after all. We should choose the best text to get it to be used in a "consume" method. That said, I would still like to option for a second use. So I'll step out now and vote for #3. My apologies if I am contributing to a vote split.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
CFHollister wrote:So, if I may be so bold, I'd like to ask if the submiters of Version 3 and Version 6 might respond to explain the particular advantages of his/her iteration.
I wrote Version 6. The idea was that the requirement of a card underneath already prevents it from getting too far out of control. I thought that it might become a staple of Tragic Turn piles and nothing else if left as the simpler Version 1. Mine just makes it a little less cost effective and hopefully makes one want to put other Consume dilemmas in their pile. It's about not pigeon-holing the card.

By RedDwarf (Unjustly Banned)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I really like the "Place this dilemma on top of its owner's dilemma pile" idea, but I also like some of the other options.

I'd like to suggest another vote: to include "Place this dilemma on top of its owner's dilemma pile" on whichever option gets picked. It seems to me that it fits the original Consume Me! concept, but the vote could also potentially allow another effect as well.

By Mugato
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Runner-Up 2023
Consume Me! Version 6
Dilemma
Unless there are no dilemmas beneath this mission, place this dilemma on top of your dilemma pile. When this dilemma is placed beneath a mission by a Consume dilemma, your opponent names a skill. Randomly select a personnel with that skill to be killed.

Shouldn't this say "place this dilemma on top of your Opponents dilemma pile?

By wweist
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Mugato wrote:
Consume Me! Version 6
Dilemma

yes! good catch!
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Mugato wrote:
Consume Me! Version 6
Dilemma
Oops. I thought so hard about wording the double-negative type thing for the requirement right that I missed that.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Mugato wrote:Shouldn't this say "place this dilemma on top of your Opponents dilemma pile?
It should also reference the dilemma pile as belonging to the player on your left.
1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more of[…]

Thermokinetic explosion

Then why do we specify unused on outclassed? […]

Klingon Neelix ponderings

I am collecting data at this point. Someone aske[…]

Keep in mind that it doesn't stop anyone itself, m[…]