Check out the trials and troubles of the first Will of the Collective, where the community designed a card for the first time!
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
(Yes, I know we skipped the number between 12 and 14. It's traditional.)

Well, we had a lot of people come out to vote for the image that would appear on Consume Me! and there was a lot of good discussion about imagery and story. That is one of the best things about this process, is getting to share some of the process with the community, and then getting to hear what the community thinks.

This is the image that won the popular vote:

Though we'll probably ask our fabulous Art Department to take a look at cleaning this up, this will be the final image that will appear on Consume Me! (more or less) when it is released in August 2008. But now, as we head down the home stretch, it's time to pick one of the most important aspects of the card: the title.

I know a little something about titles, because it was one of the first things I got to work on when I started helping out the Design Team in the Decipher Era. Mike Girard was behind on Captain's Log, and I volunteered to help; he asked me to suggest some images, titles and lore for some of the cards in that set. I was able to learn a lot about what makes a good title.

Personnel and ships are easy - the title is simply who they are - but you do get to be somewhat artistic in the choice of the subtitle. For dilemmas and verbs, there is a lot of room to be creative. Of course, one can always use a simple, basic, descriptive title - something like Trabe Grenade or Subterranean Barrier. These titles simply reflect the exact nature of the threat - basic and very effective.

My favorite titles are the ones that are more poetic in nature. For example, Personal Duty is a great choice for describing something simple going on: Captain Picard sends his crew away to accept a terrible responsibility. In this case, there is great synergy between the title and the lore - which is always something to think about.

In a lot of cases, the title is a paraphrase of a quote immediately proceeding or succeeding the scene/story on the card - Nothing That Happens is Truly Random is a good example. And last but not least - an episode title can make for a good card title, too. Many of the episode titles are poetic in nature and are already describe the situation well, which means they translate well into cards.

Now it's your turn. There are a lot of good titles out there for this card, and we're eager to see what you guys think would fit the excellent story and game text on Consume Me!. Besides, it's time to finally replace that (well-chosen) play test title with something sufficiently dramatic and exciting.

So this is what we're looking for: your ideas for the final title that will go on Consume Me!. And we want you to send your ideas in. Here's how it will work:

- Any registered user can participate.

- You can send up to three (3) different titles, but all three must be sent at the same time.

- They must be sent as a private message on these forums to Administrator and must be received before MIDNIGHT (server time) on Sunday, May 25th, 2008.

- Your PM must also include your real name.

- Should multiple people submit the same (or nearly identical) idea, only the first person to submit the idea will get credit for the submission.

- Your title must be related to the storyline or game text depicted on the card.

Once we get all your ideas, the design team will review them and decide on a subset of the best to be presented to you, the community, who will vote on the title we'll go with. Be patient, though - it will probably take us some time to go through all the submissions!

Anyone is eligible to submit their ideas, unless they're a member of a current design team (you know who you are). Feel free to use this thread to refine ideas, ask for help, and speculate on what would be fun.

Best of luck!
 -  
Prophet
Because I anticipate a number of titles to be suggested quite frequently, I will update this post once a title is suggested a certain number of times. That way, you don't have to use up a submission on and idea that's already been submitted. So stay tuned.

-crp

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Just one question. I was wondering if Consume Me! is a valid title entry, as I actually really like the title and think it works with the card. (I've already entered, so can't use it. But I thought I would throw that idea out there and see what the response was.)

By JamesValEson (Barry Windschitl)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus- Show of Sadism

Alternately, we could have another Armus dilemma form when he kills Tasha called Armus- Show of Force ( a nod to Kelvan Show of Force).
 -  
Prophet
You have just over 24 hours to submit a title (or two, or three) if you're interested in doing so. We have about 30 titles so far.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Bulliebuddy wrote:Any idea when they will be posting the choices for the card title? :roll:
Submissions are due by Midnight tonight (so send one in if you're holding off). Once we have all the submissions, the design team will narrow them down and we'll get the poll up - it usually just takes us a day or two to do so.

-crp
Thermokinetic explosion

The question is: if I fly to a 3 span space missio[…]

1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more of[…]

Klingon Neelix ponderings

I am collecting data at this point. Someone aske[…]

Keep in mind that it doesn't stop anyone itself, m[…]