Check out the trials and troubles of the first Will of the Collective, where the community designed a card for the first time!
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Well, this has been a lot of fun to moderate, and I hope that all of you that participated enjoyed doing so. I'd like to open up this thread to get your thoughts, opinions, and ideas - not only about this iteration of this contest, but things we can take and learn from for next year's.

But first, without further delay, here is the first Will of the Collective card:

This card - pending art adjustment and play testing - will appear in Expansion #16 which will be released on Friday, August 15th, 2008. Even if it is adjusted, it will be in that expansion as the first Will of the Collective card ever desiged!

So, please tell us what you liked and what you didn't about this process. What worked for you and what didn't. If you didn't participate, why not? If you stopped participating, why? How can we make this process better next time around?

-crp

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I liked the fact that everyone got to have a voice in the entire design process. The various polls and such were usually populated with good choices. I would like to see the concept branched out into other card types as well.

Thanks for the hard work!

Chris

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
phoenixhawk wrote:I would like to see the concept branched out into other card types as well.
Do you mean the concept of the card, or the concept of creating the card by consensus?

Because if you remember, the very first choice was for what card type. So you can't really 'branch out' this idea to other card types, when it was the community that decided what card type to make. ;-) It could've just as easily been a personnel, ship, or anything else.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I guess what I meant was, it would be interesting for the designers to say, "we need a Klingon Personnel" or "we want to add a Starfleet ship" and have the members of the site vote on constructing the card for that upcoming expansion. Not tell us WHAT personnel or ship or Interrupt or whatnot to make, but just one type and see how people respond to making that card. Same, but different. :)

Chris

By Mugato
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Runner-Up 2023
phoenixhawk wrote:I guess what I meant was, it would be interesting for the designers to say, "we need a Klingon Personnel" or "we want to add a Starfleet ship" and have the members of the site vote on constructing the card for that upcoming expansion. Not tell us WHAT personnel or ship or Interrupt or whatnot to make, but just one type and see how people respond to making that card. Same, but different. :)

Chris
Maybe the next time this is done, dilemma should be taken off the list, at least. That way more card types get exposed to this process. I totally understand why a dilemma was selected for this first time though. Its something that can be used by anybody, regardless of what affiliations are being played.

Jared

By charlie
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
What was participation like? How many people submitted ideas along the way? How many people dropped out and how many joined? How many ideas (approximately) were submitted? I thought the concept very good in allowing the players to create a card. It also gave us a chance to see how the process of creation plays out. I also think that for futre cards, you eliminate any choices that have already been turned into cards. After creating the 7 card types, you then limit the choices of type of dilemma, personnel affilitation and ship affiliation. That would give us plenty to choose from down the road. I thought that the process seemed to take a long time, but maybe that was my own desire to see the project finished. I can't wait for the next round to begin. :thumbsup:

By Mogh
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I think the process worked pretty well. I wish more participated throughout the process, but perhaps people lost interest after their favorite ideas were removed.

I agree with other posts here about the Continuing Committee proposing a particular card type, card type with affiliation, or card type with keyword for the second Will of the Collective card. Two easy examples that spring to mind are a Non-Aligned personnel and an Artifact equipment or event.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Here's a participation summary:
Code: Select all
Decision #1: What Type of Card?                         26 / 84 (30%)
Decision #2: Card Concept                               79 Submissions
Decision #3: Vote for the Concept!                      19 / 67 (28%)
Decision #4: Gametext                                   20 Submissions
Decision #5: Vote for the Gametext!                     16 / 49 (32%)
Decision #5.1: Regular Effect                           30 / 43 (69%)
Decision #6: Gametext Runoff                            23 / 51 (45%)
Decision #7: The Regular Effect						
Decision #8: The Final Gametext                         -- / 43
Decision #9: Final Runoff                               32 / 56 (57%)
Decision #10: Storyline Summary	                        31 Submissions
Decision #11: Choose Your Own Adventure!                21 / 59 (35%)
Decision #12: Image Vote!                               34 / 73 (46%)
Decision #14: The Matter of the Title                   32 Submissions
Decision #15: Pick The Title                            16 / 50 (32%)
Decision #16: Lore Time (No, Not the Evil Android)      22 / 39 (56%)
Decision #17: The Final Choice                          34 / 51 (66%)
So there were at least 40 people voting in almost every poll, but not so many people submitting ideas most of the time. Still, not too bad for our first effort...

(the numbers btw are the number of people voting for the winning entry, and the percentage of total participants that represents)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Personally I think the idea of involving the community in such a way was brilliant, to say the least. I wonder if sales for a CCG would increase if Decipher, Wizkids and other companies had the same idea. That makes (or could make) players way more interested in CCGs.
So, in the future of the CC I hope there will be more opportunities for the Community to design a card.
In that case, I'd like to see other card types explored, and new ideas. Maybe one could narrow card type selection to exclude from the next contests card types that were already designed. Just to be assured each and every card type gets its new card.
Just my :twocents:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Foreman wrote:I just love that the card made by the will of the collective has a picture of Will on it. :P
I would suggest that every future WOTC card should have a Will Riker image, but it somehow would be difficult to illustrate Dominion ships or Borg drones with his mugshot...

Maybe Will Hoskins could be an alternative used in these cases 8)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Borgified Tribble wrote: I would suggest that every future WOTC card should have a Will Riker image, but it somehow would be difficult to illustrate Dominion ships or Borg drones with his mugshot...
No no no...that's a privilege only Kira(s) must have :)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I just discovered this whole design-a-card section of the site. Good work, everyone!

Although I think the lore should have included the "touch him and he dies" line.

But then, sometimes, less is more! :mrgreen:

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
deciusmaurus wrote:
Borgified Tribble wrote: I would suggest that every future WOTC card should have a Will Riker image, but it somehow would be difficult to illustrate Dominion ships or Borg drones with his mugshot...
No no no...that's a privilege only Kira(s) must have :)
I can see borg drones and riker together, just have will running from the drones. :P especially that hoss-drone

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Mogor wrote:
I can see borg drones and riker together, just have will running from the drones. :P especially that hoss-drone
Beards and male Pheromones are Irrelevant - he will be assimilated.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation