Check out the trials and troubles of the first Will of the Collective, where the community designed a card for the first time!

<t>What kind of card should we make?</t>

Dilemma
31%
Equipment
8%
Event
12%
Interrupt
2%
Mission
13%
Personnel
20%
Ship
13%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Will of the Collective: You Make the Card!
"Resistance is futile."

How many of you have wanted to "peer through the temple gates" and see what goes on behind the scenes of our beloved game? Haven't you wondered how a card goes from concept to story to finished product? Well, The Continuing Committee is giving you - the community - the chance to join the design team with our first ever Will of the Collective: You Make the Card!

Today we take the first step into uncharted waters. The Will of the Collective is a chance for the community (everyone who has registered on these forums) to design a card - from top to bottom - that will appear in an upcoming Virtual Expansion.

You've got questions? Well, here are some answers.

Where do I send my ideas in?
Well, let's back up a second. Will of the Collective is a community project, where everyone that's registered will have a chance to influence the direction the card will take. This means that we won't just be reading card ideas from people and picking one. Every few weeks or so, we'll be asking you to make a key decision. Then, we'll have you vote on the choices and the majority wins.

If we need more creative input (for example, ideas for titles, subtitles, lore), we'll have one of the members of the Continuing Committee give you some tips and suggestions, then we'll collect all your ideas. PLEASE, don't send anything in until we've asked for it. Once we've collected all your brilliant ideas, we'll go through them, select a few of the best entries, and once again you'll get to vote on the one that gets used.

Are we just doing things like title and lore?
No! You will be making the entire card. Every decision that isn't dictated by the game's design is up to you. The title, the subtitle, the affiliation (if it's a ship or a personnel), the game text, the lore, the attributes, all of it. You'll even have a chance to pick the image for the card.

What's a decision dictated by the game's design?
Let's say that the community votes to make a version of James T. Kirk from the beginning of The Wrath of Khan. Well, that version of Kirk was a Starfleet Admiral: he'd get the Admiral keyword. This is just dictated by the story. But there are other decisions, too. Cost, for example. Based on the ability and the feedback from the play testing team, the card's cost will be determined by the design matrix. But you'll be able to influence everything else.

When will the card come out?
Hopefully in either Expansion #16 or Expansion #17, both due later in 2008. But we really won't know until the card is finished, and we won't know how long that takes until we get into it. After all, this is uncharted waters.

How long will this process take?
Like the previous question, there isn't a way to tell until we really get into the process. You'll be suprised at how many decisions there are to be made!

When do we start?
I know the design team is excited about this process, and we hope you are, too. Since there's no time like the present, let's get started. The first - and arguably most important - decision is that of the card type. This decision will drive the entire rest of the process. Every card type has lots of different decision points and chances for input, and will shape the game in a different way.

[D] [Equ] [Evt] [Int] [P] [Baj] [Bor] [Car] [Dom] [Fed] [Fer] [Kli] [NA] [Rom] [SF]

So, are we going to make a dilemma to punish a hated deck type? A new piece of equipment? A game-changing event or interrupt? A mission with a new twist? Your favorite character? Or a sweet new starship? It's up to you! Cast your votes - you have a week to decide! In the mean time, feel free to debate the pros and cons of each choice.

You can't resist the Will of the Collective as You Make the Card!
Last edited by MidnightLich on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
We've got ten (10) days to figure this out: start talking, let's get the ball rolling!

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By warpaw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I voted for a ship card.

I love the ships of Star Trek, it was one of the things that drew me to the franchise. The idea that humans will progress to a point to travel the stars. I just love ship cards, and I think there are some cards that could be made in 2e that have been made. Stargazer, Rogue Borg Ship, Equinox...
Last edited by warpaw on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I voted for a personnel card, and I'm hoping for a Non-Aligned personnel. Let's face it, skills and attributes are necessary and sometimes boring... it's the game text that makes personnel interesting. And since the game text we'll be deciding upon as a community will be on a personnel (if mine is the popular vote), that ability will be very difficult to negate... unlike the game text of an Event or Interrupt, for example). So, let's give this great game of ours another Kamala, or Zefram Cochrane, or... :P
Last edited by Andreas Colter on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By charlie
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
There are not cards that punish for playing a single homeworld. There are good cards that take advantage of those who play dual homeworlds (or even 3). But I have yet to see a card that says something like "If you do not command a second headquarters mission...." I also like cards that don't rely on skill tracking. I am not the greatest at remembering how many and which skills are in play. I have to build dilemma piles that either target a skill (and if not skill, then kill) or go after attributes. It's more challenging, but usually works well against more decks than not. So I voted for [S] [D] [P] .
Last edited by charlie on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
dlacoste wrote:I voted for a personnel card, and I'm hoping for a Non-Aligned personnel. Let's face it, skills and attributes are necessary and sometimes boring... it's the game text that makes personnel interesting. And since the game text we'll be deciding upon as a community will be on a personnel (if mine is the popular vote), that ability will be very difficult to negate... unlike the game text of an Event or Interrupt, for example). So, let's give this great game of ours another Kamala, or Zefram Cochrane, or... :P
I agree. The characters are the part I find the most exciting about any story. The introduction implies that there will be more of these in the future, so why not start out with the most obvious choice? Although, given the questions of the designer chats, ships might seem to some to be the obvious choice. I just think with personnel we can more easily pick one. Even one that was already done in another form, like the Kirk suggestion.
Last edited by The Guardian on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Altoid
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I voted for Dilemma so that "our" card will show up in the beginning part of that set's card list. Also to that end, I recommend we make the card start with "A" so this card will be near the front, if not the Very First Card of the set, showing what we as a community can come up with.

Perhaps "Acamarian <something>" or "Abberation" or "Acceleration of Duty" (or make it start with a number "11001001" anyone?) ;)
Last edited by Altoid on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
I voted for Equipment because Equipment is fun, and people should play with equipment more, so hopefully we could come up with something worth playing with. And nobody else was going to vote for it, so I like supporting the little guy... ;-)
Last edited by Maelwys on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Mogh
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
While I'd love to see more Equipment, I'd prefer another Dilemma that promotes deck-pile synergy (e.g., Back to Basics). I voted Dilemma.
Last edited by Mogh on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By YeahToast
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Here's another vote for equipment. I want to see some fun equipment from 1E like the 45' Dom Perignon, Satan's Robot, Kukalaka etc.

As a second choice, I have no clue what card type they should be, but I want animals back in STCCG!
Last edited by YeahToast on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I voted dilemma as well. A good dilemma is the card that will be the most universally used (although a non-aligned personnel or Unexpected Difficulties/Energize type event would fit this as well), and also the card type that I think will most benefit from a community. I'm sure all of us have an idea for a killer dilemma that we just think needs to be in this game, but community input will help us to find the one that fits best without being overpowered. One disadvantage with dilemma though is that I don't think they are as fun to develop story-line wise. It seems like its a bit too easy to just say "this gametext is sweet" and slap it on some card that doesn't really fit very well. But there are still a lot of killer qualms from the series that the game hasn't even touched yet.

What's beautiful is that because of the depth of the series, whatever we choose there are still hundreds of options available to us.
Last edited by grandnagusmorn on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Jaybird
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I went with a personnel. While designing an Event or Interrupt with some snazzy gameplay would be fun, why not take a character or version of a character we have yet to see and translate them into 2E? For me, the characters are the best part of Star Trek and if I'm designing a card, I want to make a memorable character. Memorable how? Snazzy gameplay (see what I did there... eh... eh...).
Last edited by Jaybird on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Keller
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Designing a character will lock in too many things. Ditto for a ship. Dilemmas, however, can be powerful and you can do anything you want with them. There is even a planet-only dilemma that is a Damage card! Dilemmas provide ultimate flexibility.
Last edited by Keller on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
there just isn't enough room on a personnel for too may words. I choose event. That way, we can write a nice long card that will have the ifs and buts to make everyone happy.
Last edited by JanewaysToy on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Both these ideas have elements that interest me as[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]