Check out the trials and troubles of the first Will of the Collective, where the community designed a card for the first time!

By tksolway (Thomas Solway)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I would like to see a good stopper dilemma in Dual.

Something like

Dual (cost 3)
All your personel are stopped unless you have 3 Medical or 3 Science present. Return this dilemma to your opponents dilemma pile unless you discard a Medical or Science personel present.

We could find a suitable plague or infection to name the dilemma after. I just believe that we need a skill based stopper dilemma like this because there hasn't been one made since the early sets.
Last edited by tksolway on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Here's what I jsut submited.

Concept #1
A dilemma that affects (kills/stops/returns to hand etc) personnel at a different location if it is failed.
(I see this as a possible counter to Brunt or other characters that "hide" at a headquarters, but it could have impact on seperated ships, infiltrators etc.)

Concept #2
A dilemma that has an extra penalty on a player if they are ahead in points

Concept#3
A space dilemma that is more effective if opponent has a ship there.
Last edited by Foreman on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador
By Linkan (Torbjörn Lindquist)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Architect
I would like to know how many concepts people sent in. It would be intresting to get a feeling on "how likely one is to get a concept in the next round".
Last edited by Linkan on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
The design team has been given all of the submissions. In total, seventy-nine (79) unique ideas were submitted. But quite a few of you submitted similar ideas (proving great minds think alike). If not for that, the number would have been considerably higher.

Give the design team a week or two to pair down the entries to ten (10), then we'll be back so you can vote. Thank you for the great response! In the mean time, why not discuss other ideas you might have?
Last edited by Administrator on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

By wweist
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Well, now that the submissions are closed, here were my three:

1. Planet Dilemma that relocates the orbiting ship

A.K.A.: When The Bough Breaks - TNG 1x17

2. Dual Dilemma requiring Intelligence & Telepathy or "Total Stop"

Ok, I know the "rules" said "no specific skills" but this is one skill combo that has been overlooked and has the potential to be particularly nasty.

3. Dual Dilemma that allows a swap "one for one" the skill requirement of subsequent "unless you have <set A skills> or <set B skills>" Dilemmas.

For Example: Alien Abduction; "unless you have 2 Engineer and Physics, or Medical and Transporters" -> "unless you have Engineer, Medical, and Physics, or Engineer and Transporters"

This one I submitted to address the "binder banished/fodder" dilemmas.
Last edited by wweist on Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I suggested a dilemma that reduces the cost of the attempting personnel during a mission attempt. Should read somehow like this: "Place this dilemma
on this mission. While facing a dilemma each personnel is cost -1".
Last edited by Caretaker's Guest on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Caretaker's Guest wrote:I suggested a dilemma that reduces the cost of the attempting personnel during a mission attempt. Should read somehow like this: "Place this dilemma
on this mission. While facing a dilemma each personnel is cost -1".
Haha. I don't know why that idea didn't cross my mind for this. It certainly has often enough while I've been playing games.
Last edited by CFHollister on Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

By whampiri
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
i went with a back to basics idea using your opponents discard pile and a dilema that removed your opponents discard pile from the game.i cant think of the 3rd one i submitted! :?
Last edited by whampiri on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Mogh
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Here were mine...

NOTE: These dilemma concepts are expressed from the point of view of the player facing the dilemma.

1) A dilemma that sits in your core and adds "Consume: 1" or "Consume +1" to each of your dilemmas (or a type of dilemma)

This is basically my dream card of a re-imagined Accelerated Aging -- a card I don't like on principle.

2) A dilemma that sits in your core and "grabs" any of your opponent's dilemmas you would normally consume

3) A dilemma that conditionally allows your opponent to mulligan.
Last edited by Mogh on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Mine were admittedly not as creative as I have seen others post:

1. A dilemma that is affected by the number of dilemmas in your core.
2. A dilemma that changes the mission requirements.
3. A dilemma that is affected by a keyword on an event.
Last edited by The Guardian on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
My three were:

1) Heightened Perception on a dilemma.
I love the concept of Heightened Perception and think it's a pitty the event doesn't get used more (I suspect because of the cost).

2) A space Vault of Tomorrow.
Eh, not very original, but I think it would still be nice to have. I know we were just supposed to submit concepts, but I think Birth of "Junior" would fit this perfectly.

3) Has the effect "... lose 5 points"
I know we already have this on Molecular Mishap but I think it's Consume 3 is a bit prohibitive. Yes, again not that original but this happens to be a concept a feel pretty strongly about. I've demonstrated the game recently to few friends and I've been getting the same comments that I have when I tried to demo the game before: "This seems kinda like solitaire"..."I wish there was more interaction between players, etc." Round-the-corner strategies have certainly come a long way as far as playability as the game has developed, but a sleak, well-geased, solver still seems to be a able to glide past them more times than not. I think dilemmas like this do a lot to make decks that don't include harder, higher-point missions, or an interactive round-the corner strategy much more risky and will drive decks to being generally more interactive. I'm sure the concern on the "design team" is that such dilemmas run the risk of creating lock-outs and NPEs, but I think a combination of careful design and making sure that each HQ has playable round-the-corner strategies will prevent those. I think the game could use this kind of influence, on not on a dilemmas, then on other cards.
Last edited by CFHollister on Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
The first round of cuts (from 79 to 27) was really hard...

Going from 27 to 10 is going to be harder, I think.

I hope to have this done and up for voting by Monday, but please be patient. It's not easy!

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By charlie
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
If it was easy Charlie, anybody could be running this show. But it takes perseverance, dedication and a genuine love of the game. I don't imbibe, but here's one for you. :cheersL:
Last edited by charlie on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
The Guardian wrote:Mine were admittedly not as creative as I have seen others post:

1. A dilemma that is affected by the number of dilemmas in your core.
2. A dilemma that changes the mission requirements.
3. A dilemma that is affected by a keyword on an event.
Seems pretty good to me. I especially like #2. And #1 sounds good, but how many dillemas are there that go in your core?
Last edited by Foreman on Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Foreman wrote:And #1 sounds good, but how many dillemas are there that go in your core?
There's actually a bit of humor in that one that I thought Charlie might like. It was really just a joke for him, but we talked about a whole strategy based around core dilemmas once or twice.

Both these ideas have elements that interest me as[…]

Done.

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]

Thermokinetic explosion

It would hit because your total attibutes at the t[…]