Check out the trials and troubles of the first Will of the Collective, where the community designed a card for the first time!
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Well, the polls have closed, the results are in, and the Will of the Collective has spoken! It was a heck of a race:

Dilemma 30%
Personnel 20%
Mission 13%
Ship 13%
Event 11%
Equipment 8%
Interrupt 2%

We're going to make a dilemma!

So what's the next step? Well, we could take a vote to decide if we're going to do a planet, space or dual dilemma. Or we could look for storyline moments we want to capture and vote on those. But we're going to use a "function over form" approach to this card; in other words, we're going to figure out what it does before we decide what the story behind it is.

So what we're looking for this time is a card concept. A card concept is a brief (think one sentence or less) description of what the card we're making is going to do. A good card concept is clear, concise, and doesn't have anything to do with story.

For example, take a look at the card Sympathetic Magic. A good concept for this card might have been "a planet dilemma that damages a ship." It defines what the dilemma is going to do without worrying about how it's going to do it.

A bad concept would be "From the episode Catspaw, when Sylvia uses her power to threaten the Enterprise, either the ship is damaged or the crew is stopped." This is way too tied to the storyline and too specific about how it will work; there needs to be room to evolve as the card is tested.

Now look at Inferiority. I first pitched this card to Brad as "Endangered on a dilemma." Sometimes it's good to take an old card and give it a new spin. This is a good concept because it does just that - gives a frame of reference and a way to make it new.

So this is what we're looking for: a concept for our new dilemma. And we want you to send your concepts in. Here's how it will work:

- Any registered user can participate.

- You can send up to three (3) different concepts in, but all three must be sent at the same time.

- They must be sent as a private message on these forums to Administrator and must be received before MIDNIGHT (server time) on Sunday, February 24th, 2008.

- Your PM must also include your real name.

- Should multiple people submit the same (or nearly identical) concepts, only the first person to submit the concept will get credit for the submission.

Once we get all your concepts, the design team will review them and decide on ten (10) of the best to be presented to you, the community, who will vote on the concept we'll go with. Be patient, though - it will probably take us some time to go through all the ideas!

Well, enough from me. It's time to get cracking on this! Anyone is eligible to submit their ideas, unless they're a member of a current design team (you know who you are). Feel free to use this thread to refine ideas, ask for help, and speculate on what would be fun. (It's okay if you go off topic and talk about cool storyline or other things like that - just don't include them in your concepts!)

Best of luck!
Last edited by MidnightLich on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Altoid
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I've seen a dilemma that makes the person facing the dilemma lose points.

Have we seen a dilemma that gives points to the person feeding the dilemma :?:

Example 1 of gametext on dilemma:
Choose one: Each opponent scores 10 points or all personnel everywhere are stopped until the end of this turn.
(pseudo combo of Up the Ante and Timescape)

Example 2 of gametext on dilemma:
Your opponent names a personnel. Randomly select three personnel. If the named personnel is selected, your opponent scores 10 points and all your personnel are stopped.

Also, here's a question on dilemma costing.. How much does Consume: 1 take off of the cost of a dilemma :?:
Example: If a dilemma costs 3 with no Consume, how much would the same dilemma cost with Consume: 1 :?:
Last edited by Altoid on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Altoid wrote:Also, here's a question on dilemma costing.. How much does Consume: 1 take off of the cost of a dilemma :?:
Example: If a dilemma costs 3 with no Consume, how much would the same dilemma cost with Consume: 1 :?:
When it originally came out I could have swore one of the designers said the main formula was: Original Cost - Consume = New Cost. I wonder if that is true or if the concept has changed with play.
Last edited by The Guardian on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Brad
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Guardian wrote:
Altoid wrote:Also, here's a question on dilemma costing.. How much does Consume: 1 take off of the cost of a dilemma :?:
When it originally came out I could have swore one of the designers said the main formula was: Original Cost - Consume = New Cost. I wonder if that is true or if the concept has changed with play.
That was a very rough rule of thumb that was put in a web article. Consume 1 - which probably shouldn't be talked about at this point in the process reduces a dilemmas cost by more than 1.
Last edited by Brad on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
 -  
Prophet
At this point in the game, we shouldn't really be thinking about details. (It's arguable we shouldn't think about Consume yet, but if your concept relies on it, you can include it.) But the numbers involved (cost, Consume: X, etc.) should be left out. That will all be decided later.

This step is all about concept. "Everyone scores points or everyone is stopped" is a good concept; "A dilemma that consumes 3 to score points" isn't because it's too specific.

But keep up the questions, they're good.

-crp

PS: There is one dilemma that scores points.
Last edited by MidnightLich on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Teroknor
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Hi,
I have an idea for the dilemma and I need, if possible, of the fonts to write the texts.

Thanks for your help.

[TN] TEROKNOR [TN]
Last edited by Teroknor on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 -  
Prophet
Teroknor wrote:Hi,
I have an idea for the dilemma and I need, if possible, of the fonts to write the texts.

Thanks for your help.

[TN] TEROKNOR [TN]
Don't worry about that. Just send your card concept in a PM to Administrator in plain text. We're not even close to turning it into game text yet.

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 -  
Prophet
Kaiser wrote:Is there any rule or guideline among the design team about what dilemmas should never do?
Never say never. :)

Seriously, feel free to think outside the box. Anything impossible will be filtered out. But the design team has been in a very "think outside the box" mood lately.

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:So what we're looking for this time is a card concept. A card concept is a brief (think one sentence or less) description of what the card we're making is going to do. A good card concept is clear, concise, and doesn't have anything to do with story.
Given the nature of the questions appearing in this thread right now, I feel that this paragraph should be reiterated. Please, read it everybody. You're not sending in card text, or keywords, or a graphical dream card. You're just sending in a very brief concept about what the dilemma should 'do' (in general terms).

If you want to suggest a space dilemma that will stop a ship that doesn't have the right skills, you say "A space dilemma that will stop a ship if it doesn't have enough skills". Don't say "A cost 3 space dilemma that says: Consume: 1. Unless you have Diplomacy, Honour, and Integrity>34 your crew is stopped." That's way too much. That part will come in a later step, don't worry. We just have to start broad here.
Last edited by Maelwys on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Altoid
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'd like to see a dilemma that helps bring out the "binder fodder" dilemmas.

Maybe a "helper dilemma" that:
a) gives the "binder fodder" dilemma more bite and
b) "downloads" that dilemma and puts it in the dilemma stack

maybe even add some crazy text like on
Tuvok, Coldly Logical Soldier that when one of the "binder fodder" dilemmas is revealed, this "helper dilemma" can download itself and put itself in front of the "binder fodder" dilemma

because it doesn't help to draw one part of the combo and not the other

Examples of binder fodder dilemmas:
Alien Abduction
Console Overload
Contamination
Debris Field
Invidium Leak
Last edited by Altoid on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador
By Linkan (Torbjörn Lindquist)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Architect
Now I have submitted my concepts to the allmighty.
  1. A damage dilemma that might let your opponent download an extra damage card.
  2. A damage dilemma that requires more than one turn to "repair".
  3. A dilemma that aborts a mission attempt without stopping it.
Concept number 1:
Might be a bit harsh, but I think it may work. I like damage dilemmas and battle decks.

Concept number 2:
Might not be a big damage, but with other ways of getting damaged, it can be an extra time sink, or you have to gamble.

Concept number 3:
My personal favourite. It probably has to do something more than just this. Perhaps make it have a nice synergy with Skeleton Crew (next attempt at this mission this turn with at least 6 personel, if Skeleton Crew in play at least 9 or something like that)? I think this concept has alot of promise.
Last edited by Linkan on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By charlie
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I like the idea of aborting the attempt but not stopping the crew. And then adding that they cannot complete this mission until they attempt another mission.
Last edited by charlie on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 -  
Prophet
Keep the ideas coming, and make sure you're sending them to Administrator in a PM.

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Your submissions are due by MIDNIGHT (server time) tonight! Please send your ideas in a private message (PM) to Administrator before then!
Last edited by Administrator on Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wird erledigt : ). Es war übrigens wirklich[…]

I suspect that’s the usual forum badges you […]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]