Check out the trials and troubles of the first Will of the Collective, where the community designed a card for the first time!

By wweist
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I go away for three days and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!

So, I'm thinking of other games where this mechanic is used and I came up with a couple of MtG Red cards that do more damage when forced to be discarded than when merely played. Each of these had lesser effects when played normally.

Are we prevented from writing in a normal effect in addition to the effect triggered by being consumed? (sorry, "when placed beneath a mission by another dilemma" :-))
Last edited by wweist on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
wweist wrote:I go away for three days and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!

So, I'm thinking of other games where this mechanic is used and I came up with a couple of MtG Red cards that do more damage when forced to be discarded than when merely played. Each of these had lesser effects when played normally.

Are we prevented from writing in a normal effect in addition to the effect triggered by being consumed? (sorry, "when placed beneath a mission by another dilemma" :-))
That is the idea right now. The concept was "A dilemma whose effect occurs only when the dilemma is consumed." (emphasis added)
Last edited by The Guardian on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By whampiri
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
the problem with this is that it's very situational. sure i know alot of other cards are too but its very rare that you draw a useless card that you cant do somethin with(duplicates excepted) and because dilemas are central to the game i'd hate to draw a useless card insted of one that could be used. if you work out a 30 card dilema deck with 3 of this mystery card, then 12 are dual and 5 each are either planet or space.what this translates into is that 8 in 30 cards are absolutely pointless at any given time rather than 5 in 30.

sure it's stats and people can say that stats can be used to prove anything but it's just something to keep in mind.
Last edited by whampiri on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Wasn't a card added in WYLB that let you turn a useless [P] or [S] dilemma into something useful? If so, then it makes the choice about the type of dilemma relevant.

Who knows what kinds of cards out there manipulate off a dilemma's cost? That makes the choice about cost relevant. (Although the cost will be derived from the card and the costing matrix.)

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I agree with the people that have mentioned that this dilemma should do something when it is played normally and I would love to see a vote on this.

I would say that it should be something simple like a random stop, but it shouldn't be entirely useless if it is not "consumed"

Also, how do people feel about adding a keyword to this dilemma? An unloaded one of course, but I could see a few dilemmas being made in the future with this ability, and having an easy way to reference them could be useful.
Last edited by Foreman on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:Wasn't a card added in WYLB that let you turn a useless [P] or [S] dilemma into something useful?
-crp
Not really, if you use it with useless dilemmas it just lets you get some useless dilemmas back into your dilemma pile.

Although it would be sweet if this new dilemma could be used with Ghost Stories. (Especially if it only works when consumed)
Last edited by Foreman on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Moderator's Note:
The off-shoot conversation on whether or not Consume is a loaded keyword has been relocated here. If you've like to continue it, please do so there. This thread is only to be used for the discussion about this stage of the dilemma design. Thanks.
Last edited by Maelwys on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

By charlie
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
This new dilemma would work with TTNE. You could play this one, since it does nothing it is consumed. You use TTNE and switch it with the top card of your dilemma pile. Then you play the consume dilemma you drew and consume this card. Simple right?
Last edited by charlie on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I am a little bit confused with the way the timing will work on this card with certain dilemmas. Does the effect of a consume dilemma happen before or after its consume has been met? Will it make a difference if this is the last consumed dilemma, the dilemma that fulfills the consume cost? It seems to me that either way could be relevant:

For example, if "Consume Me" is consumed by No Kill I, will all of the personnel at the mission be stopped by No Kill I before "Consume Me" hits? Does it matter if Consume Me is the third dilemma consumed, fulfilling the dilemma's cost and thus stopping all of the personnel at the mission before Consume Me's effect occurs?

Tragic Turn would be the other example- is it possible for Consume Me's effect to be doubled by Tragic Turn if it is consumed by Tragic Turn itself? Again, what if it is the second dilemma consumed to fulfill Tragic Turn's requirements?

My guess is that it suspends the effect of the Consume dilemma- the No Kill I example would work but the Tragic Turn would not (which is unfortunate)- unless Consume is an effect of a dilemma, not a cost, in which case the opposite would be true.

I guess all I'm asking for is a clarification on the way this timing would work, because it could make a big difference as to what gametext would be effective and what would not.
Last edited by grandnagusmorn on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Keller
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
It will occur after all consumption is done, but before the rest of the consuming dilemma.
Last edited by Keller on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By charlie
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
You could make this dilemma Persistent and that would allow you to pull it back if you want. I made my submission, but I have come up with other ideas. Can I join the board a second time and make another submission? :wink:
Last edited by charlie on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
charlie wrote:You could make this dilemma Persistent and that would allow you to pull it back if you want. I made my submission, but I have come up with other ideas. Can I join the board a second time and make another submission? :wink:
You could send your ideas to someone who hasn't submited one yet and let them steal credit for it. :wink:

I thought about making the dilemma persistant too, but I had a feeling it could be abused somehow, I haven't had time to think it out properly yet.

(Note that my second comment indicates that I have not submited an idea yet and therefore would be a good candidate for my first comment :P )
Last edited by Foreman on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Just to be clear before I submit my idea (or someone else's that I am taking credit for) - Are we allowed to add a regular effect that can be used without "consuming" the dilemma, or will that be an automatic disqualification?
Last edited by Foreman on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Foreman wrote:Just to be clear before I submit my idea (or someone else's that I am taking credit for) - Are we allowed to add a regular effect that can be used without "consuming" the dilemma, or will that be an automatic disqualification?
You would not be the only one to do so.
At this time, no entries are disqualified.

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:
Foreman wrote:Just to be clear before I submit my idea (or someone else's that I am taking credit for) - Are we allowed to add a regular effect that can be used without "consuming" the dilemma, or will that be an automatic disqualification?
You would not be the only one to do so.
-crp
Not the only one to add extra game text or not the only one to submit someone else's idea :D

On another note. Anyone have opinions about making the dilemma persistant?
Last edited by Foreman on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thermokinetic explosion

It would hit because your total attibutes at the t[…]

1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more of[…]

Klingon Neelix ponderings

I am collecting data at this point. Someone aske[…]

Keep in mind that it doesn't stop anyone itself, m[…]