A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Cersan
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Russian National Second Runner-Up 2016
I found today that some fan group is bringing back Lotr tcg and making second edition. As a Lotr tcg fan I'm excited with stuff I see so far. Sure they're far away from CC standards and organization level, but maybe something good will came out of this. Check them out if you're Lotr tcg fan http://lotrtcg.org/ .

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Cersan wrote:I found today that some fan group is bringing back Lotr tcg and making second edition. As a Lotr tcg fan I'm excited with stuff I see so far. Sure they're far away from CC standards and organization level, but maybe something good will came out of this. Check them out if you're Lotr tcg fan http://lotrtcg.org/ .
Anyone or any group that takes the initiative to keep something going that theyre passionate about. :thumbsup:

~D

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
As a former Decipher-version Lord of the Rings player, I'll be following this with interest, thanks for posting it!

I know some other groups tried to keep the Decipher version going, but a lot of the problem was the complexity/expense for anybody new trying to get in... and of course the strong/overpowered nature of the Hunters block set.

Fingers crossed for this to keep going well!

-Amber

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
Foreman wrote:Doesn't LOTR have a living card game? Is it not good?
The LCG is quite good but plays more like a role paying game ... It is cooperative and you work together to beat story based minion decks. I don't think there is any comparison between the decipher game and the LCG other than the subject material.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I can't get the link to work? Anyone else have the problem? A good friend of mine has been pushing hard to try and reform/rebuild LotR TCG over at the "main" LotR site: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/

Seems to be an even more stubborn player base than ours though! :P

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
Iron Prime wrote:Seems to be an even more stubborn player base than ours though! :P
Tell me about it. When I had to organize European Continentals for LOTR TCG (with Decipher's blessing and backing, we had thousands of $ worth of prize support) in 2007, I tried to reach out to playgroups all over Europe, and all of them said they would only come on the condition that their very own house rules be used as the official tournament format. At the time I followed the discussions on various message boards about how to deal with the game after it had been discontinued by Decipher, but these guys were so far away from getting their act together, it made me sad. Whenever a serious attempt at trying to set up something similar to TCC was suggested, the threads derailed into fanboy dream card territory within a page.
After almost six years, I have to say I have given up on ever seeing a continuation of LOTR TCG in a similarly professional and widely accepted way like we have here.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Kaiser wrote:
Iron Prime wrote:Seems to be an even more stubborn player base than ours though! :P
Tell me about it. When I had to organize European Continentals for LOTR TCG (with Decipher's blessing and backing, we had thousands of $ worth of prize support) in 2007, I tried to reach out to playgroups all over Europe, and all of them said they would only come on the condition that their very own house rules be used as the official tournament format. At the time I followed the discussions on various message boards about how to deal with the game after it had been discontinued by Decipher, but these guys were so far away from getting their act together, it made me sad. Whenever a serious attempt at trying to set up something similar to TCC was suggested, the threads derailed into fanboy dream card territory within a page.
After almost six years, I have to say I have given up on ever seeing a continuation of LOTR TCG in a similarly professional and widely accepted way like we have here.
I suspect this may be because, unlike STCCG and SWCCG, Decipher wouldn't release the templates and mechanics to a player-run development group shortly after their discontinuation.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Kaiser wrote:After almost six years, I have to say I have given up on ever seeing a continuation of LOTR TCG in a similarly professional and widely accepted way like we have here.
Sadly I am forced to agree...

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
I got the impression that Decipher didn't want to give up on this product and hoped to get it up and going again when Hobbit was released. Guess not.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
If this is run by the same people involved with the Star Wars Player's Committee... I'll pass. No offense to them, but the organization did not start off well there and it hurt the overall effort to continue the game.

I think Star Trek players overall through the years have been much nicer players and I believe that is due directly to the Trek property and its optimistic view of the future.

I had great times with LotR TCG but I think they're in the past along with many other TCGs/CCGs. I'm stay with Trek 1E, 2E and Tribbles... and of course Austin Powers.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
For LotR, I don't think there was any particular group that received Decipher's support to inherit the mantle. I stopped collecting after the culture reboot and didn't keep track of things too closely, but there was an online card store that had an active community on its forums until after the last set was released. When that site closed, someone was kind enough to create a new forum (TLHH) to keep that community together.

Some attempts were made there to continue the game in some more organized capacity, but maybe a similar scenario played out in other forums as well. There was the desire and need to keep enough people invested in the project, but I think issues such as the lack of authority, inevitable disagreements (something as "simple" as fixing the game as it stood could generate enough heat to warm the toes on a winter evening), and real life getting in the way of the rudimentary organization in place all led to eventual disinterest, and possibly eventual disillusionment at the entire idea. People just went back to the rules and house rules they liked. And when people stop participating, it's really easy to kill a project.

A LotR Second Edition on a site specifically meant for that might just be the clean break that's needed, and I hope it takes off. As for the Continuing Committee, all I can say is don't take these folks for granted. :cheersL:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Data's Socks wrote:As for the Continuing Committee, all I can say is don't take these folks for granted. :cheersL:
I think this is a point that gets overlooked every time there's a forum dustup. Sure, Charlie & co. sometimes make decisions we don't necessarily like or agree with, but the fact that this game doesn't only still exist, but is arguably thriving almost a decade after Decipher last published a Star Trek card (and a decade and a half since they published a full first edition set) speaks volumes about the hard work, dedication, and leadership of the Chairman and the CC volunteers (not to mention the local TDs and Ambassadors) who support him. As a player and lover of this game for over 20 years, I continue to be grateful for these efforts.

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the d[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]