A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Many of our threads lately seem to be wandering far off-topic. Could we have a forum to allow people to discuss things besides Trek?

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Something like "All things non-Trek"?

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
charlie wrote:We could call it "Road for the Trek-less".
Or "Off the beaten Trek". :)

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
The problem with a forum like that is that it will create lots of clashes. Religion and politics threads will appear. Since these are sensitive topics, animosities will begin, and it could really hurt the community.

But if it is to be done, I have some ideas.

Have a firm "back it up or go away" policy. It prevents a lot of dumb ideas from gaining a foothold.

A tough mod staff that can recognise logical fallacies and flawed reasoning.

I might add more later.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Darth Manveru wrote:The problem with a forum like that is that it will create lots of clashes. Religion and politics threads will appear. Since these are sensitive topics, animosities will begin, and it could really hurt the community.

But if it is to be done, I have some ideas.

Have a firm "back it up or go away" policy. It prevents a lot of dumb ideas from gaining a foothold.

A tough mod staff that can recognise logical fallacies and flawed reasoning.

I might add more later.
Who would decide what are valid sources though? Who would be in charge of defining fallacies? It can be a rocky slope. Perhaps it would be best to simply leave things uncensored and allow mild flames to go their course and die out on their own.

By Boon of Bolian (Rem Boon)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote:There's two kinds of people I hate. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures......and the Dutch.
I think this remark is intolerant.

But who am I to object the mighty Austin Powers.

:cheersL: :cheersR:

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
Ferengi Captain wrote:Who would decide what are valid sources though?
It's not hard. For political news, an actual news article would trump a blog. For science things, a peer reviewed publication would be a "standard" requirement, unless it's of an ongoing thing like the LHC.

Who would be in charge of defining fallacies?
Just have a list created. Here's an example.
It can be a rocky slope. Perhaps it would be best to simply leave things uncensored and allow mild flames to go their course and die out on their own.
I have no problem with flaming itself. My favourite approach to debating on forums is to allow anything, as long as it can be backed up with evidence.

My concern was that if you go down this path, people will start to get pissed off at one another and it will hurt the community.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
As you can see by now, it's been done. ;-)

Just keep things civil. If you don't want to get into political arguments, avoid the political argument threads (or the board altogether). The same rules apply here as everywhere else, this isn't a free for all. Just a place to talk non-Trek stuff, and hopefully help build community spirit by allowing everybody to get to know each other better as more than just fellow Trek players, but well-rounded people.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Maelwys wrote:As you can see by now, it's been done. ;-)

Just keep things civil. If you don't want to get into political arguments, avoid the political argument threads (or the board altogether). The same rules apply here as everywhere else, this isn't a free for all. Just a place to talk non-Trek stuff, and hopefully help build community spirit by allowing everybody to get to know each other better as more than just fellow Trek players, but well-rounded people.
Thanks Chris! I do appreciate it. Maybe you should put up a disclaimer of "Don't like the heat? Stay out of the kitchen?" Or "What happens in The Buzz stays in The Buzz."?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Thanks Chris! I do appreciate it. Maybe you should put up a disclaimer of "Don't like the heat? Stay out of the kitchen?"
Considering this is a Trek-board, wouldn't "If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the warp core!" work better? :wink:

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]