A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By whampiri
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Do not read if you don't like rants: :evil: Ok, got back from my g/fs place last night to find that some scut had tried to break into my car by crowbarring the passanger door. The previous night we had drunken and abusive students ringing doorbells and urinating on the doorstep. In the past I've also had my motorbike stolen and joy-ridden costing me in excess of $500 to repair. Recently I saw what could only be described as an assault on a young woman by her boyfriend. It only lasted a few seconds but I couldn't believe that people just looked and stood around. It's like what's good for society has become whatevers good for your own well being. Now in each of the above cases the law has been called in and only in the case of my motorbike did they manage to retrieve it, the damage done to it was horrendous and they failed to catch the thugs involved. In the rest of the cases they showed up too late for anything to be done.

I just feel that the law favors the criminal. Its only time I feel that people start resorting to their own tactics to get justice. Even if the cops do catch the people involved, these 'petty' criminals do damage, do a small bit of time and are out again before you can even blink. what happens to the victim? they're out of pocket, their premiums go up, they spend time tidying up the damage caused.

Just looking to get others opinions and storys of the bad guys getting away with 'murder'(and no OJ jokes please)

By stoovie (Matthyas Kiraly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm very knowledgeable and passionate on this topic, however I am in the middle of something now and haven't got time to type what would eventually become an essay.

Also, a great many of my points involve Australia law and order, one of the most totalitarian, backwards governments in the world. Particularly Western Australia, run by political lobbyists and power brokers.

Puppet government anyone?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Guardian wrote:I'm going to start by getting a mask and a spandex uniform. Any ideas for themes?

Just remember, one size DOES NOT fit all.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I think the problem with vigalantiasm is that in a case of mistaken identity an inoccent person can get hurt. The point of the the whole legal system is to try and prevent innocent people from being persecuted.

I'm not sure of any good alternative to the legal sytem though. (Little things are obviously different in each country, and some things work better than others I'm sure.)

Also, vigilantiasm is dangerous. Remember what happened to the Batman Wannabe's in Dark Knight. (I know it's just a movie, but it just illustrates the dangers).

I think the problem is not so much with the legal system as with peoples inability to do what they know is right even though they might get hurt. (Sometimes known as survival insticts). Its become a little bit like terrorism. If people consistantly keep giving into the demands of criminals, criminals will realise that it works.

I guess it boils down to personnal responsability. If you see someone in trouble do what you can to help. (Even if that is just calling the people who are trained to take on dangerous situations) But, if there are a group of people around. Be a leader. Get everyone to help. One of the reasons people won't help is that they see that no one else is helping and use that as an excuse. Maybe if one person steps and helps others will follow.

Well, that certainly was a lot of babbling off the top of my head, and I'm sure I contradicted myself a few times. I'm looking foreward to Stoovies essay on the topic.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Foreman wrote:I think the problem with vigalantiasm is that in a case of mistaken identity an inoccent person can get hurt. The point of the the whole legal system is to try and prevent innocent people from being persecuted.
I like how Dexter says he has a higher standard of proof than the legal system. I would count him as a vigilanty.
Foreman wrote:I'm not sure of any good alternative to the legal sytem though. (Little things are obviously different in each country, and some things work better than others I'm sure.)
That's true. I think we should learn from the past and and other countries and study what works better. Run experiments.

On the other hand, if someone wants to sell drugs, no law is going to stop them. What has historically stopped people from committing crime more than anything else is societal norms. I'm not saying we have to go all Quaker, but unified societies of the past would shun members that didn't fall in line. This is not a government thing. It's people deciding that certain behavior is not okay. In such a system, the law should protect the individual from persecution for non-harmful behavior and have the bare minimum in place to keep people from physically harming each other and stealing or damaging property. If the people in your community sell drugs, that's the community's problem. Is it an overnight thing? Not at all. I think it's what Star Trek is all about. Making people want to do what's right.
Foreman wrote:I guess it boils down to personnal responsability. If you see someone in trouble do what you can to help. (Even if that is just calling the people who are trained to take on dangerous situations) But, if there are a group of people around. Be a leader. Get everyone to help. One of the reasons people won't help is that they see that no one else is helping and use that as an excuse. Maybe if one person steps and helps others will follow.
This is exactly what my thoughts have always come to. Be an example. Don't even ask people to follow suit. Just do it. It works for 90% of the people out there. Be a rebel. Drive the speed limit. Open doors for people. Say, "please," "thank you," "sir," and "ma'am." I might not always control myself on this site (I thank the friends I have here. Sometimes I do need an outlet.), but when I teach my students, it is always with that in mind. If I falter (and as a human, I do), I tell them where I messed up and make an obvious effort to correct it. Just like I expect them to do. I call them all "sir" and "ma'am" when correcting them and by the names that they want me to (I have a kid that wants to be called Mr. Insert-Last-Name-Here, but most choose their first names) otherwise. And in the end, after the first few weeks of learning my behaviors, which anyone would interpret as expectations, they have followed suit. This is a Title I school, 97% minorities, gang members and criminals. They show respect. Imagine if parents and the rest of the community did the same. They would have no idea that there was another way to act (until the day when they could understand why we make that choice to be respectful in lieu of selfish).

Am I a vigilanty? Because I will totally go out and get a cape.

Oh, and by the way:
stoovie wrote:Just remember, one size DOES NOT fit all.
Dude!
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
stoovie wrote:
The Guardian wrote:I'm going to start by getting a mask and a spandex uniform. Any ideas for themes?
Just remember, one size DOES NOT fit all.
Not Tron.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
My eyes are soiled...

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]