A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Darth Manveru wrote:
Remember that when you're studying at uni, the government gives you money. Also, I can be part of experiments at uni to make a $20 here and there.

Can't get paid to be a wizard unless you start stealing stuff.
Wait, the government pays you to go to university. If I lived there I would be a permanent student.

By TBT (Robert Dawson)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian National Champion 2015
Foreman wrote:
Darth Manveru wrote:
Remember that when you're studying at uni, the government gives you money. Also, I can be part of experiments at uni to make a $20 here and there.

Can't get paid to be a wizard unless you start stealing stuff.
Wait, the government pays you to go to university. If I lived there I would be a permanent student.
I get free money off the government too (The welfare money that I was talking about).

They cut you off after you've reached the minimum time to complete your degree, and your not allowed to keep changing from course to course. You have to study full time, you can't earn too much or they reduce your pay, you have to have poor parents or earn enough to declare financial independence (about $18000 in 18 months, harder than it sounds when you have too be at uni 5 days a week), and you only get about $230 every fortnight if you live with your parents, a bit more if you don't (a friend of mine worked around that by moving in with her grandmother).

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I sell a complete Necessary Evil set on Ebay once per week...

Just kidding, I don't have very many NE extras :x , but WildThingsGames probably has made thousands of dollars by doing that. Does anyone know the story behind how they got so many sets?

By wweist
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Escape Artist wrote:I sell a complete Necessary Evil set on Ebay once per week...

Just kidding, I don't have very many NE extras :x , but WildThingsGames probably has made thousands of dollars by doing that. Does anyone know the story behind how they got so many sets?
They make them in their basement...

Electronic Messaging Architect here. You'd be surprised how much you can make ensuring email gets delivered to 100+ countries...

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
The Ninja Scot wrote:
KillerB wrote:
Foreman wrote:Hey, I was jsut wondering what the average startrek CCG player did to make money.
Hustling. Gotta make moves.
Somehow, while I don't think that's New Jersey, the song just comes to mind... ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SUtW3rOkz4

Michael
That's a pretty acurate description of New Jersey. :)

By FutureGuy
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Waaaay back when I was at University, I really don't know how I managed to afford boosters. I used to buy 5 boosters at the end of every week. I wasn't really a collector so I was able to sell cards to 2 guys who had plenty of money that they didn't know what to do with it!

I actually never bought a full box of boosters until First Contact came out :D

Nowadays, I work at a company who have just outsourced alot of their operations abroad which means alot of work for the few or us who were kept on board over here in Ireland. We provide medical literature content for pharmaceutical companies around the world. So I'm responsible for a team on the other side of the world who I'd love to smack around sometimes. :roll: Pays the bills :)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I started playing before I had a job. I always had a very small collection, but I'd occasionally pick up a pack and trade for all TNG stuff so I'd stand a fighting chance.

Now I work for Motorola part time while I attend the U of C. I'm trying to minimize student debt, so most of that money goes to school. Most of my spending money comes from selling random junk on Ebay like:
Board game I picked up at garage sale for $0.50 -> $155.00
2x Rasputin trading card I won in an online contest -> $150.00, $50.00

By ntimmons (Neil Timmons)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Foreman wrote:Hey, I was jsut wondering what the average startrek CCG player did to make money.
I work for a finance firm in downtown Washington DC. (http://www.cornerstone.com) and I make the computers go. I also married a doctor who is trying to make a million dollars.

Sometimes the best solutions are the easiest.

I wish that was the real answer, it isn't... I got into the game while it was having issues (before TBG came out) and I bought most of my collection online by the box for very cheap. Boxes of 2nd Ed. for 8 dollars, boxes of Reflections 2.0 for 32 dollars, boxes of Call to Arms for 11 dollars, I remember that day, when the 'big' box came, cost me like 120 dollars, I had 6 boxes of cards to open... it took like 4 hours...

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
ntimmons wrote: I also married a doctor who is trying to make a million dollars.
I actually did do this. Although she is more like the kind of doctor who works overseas and doesn't make money. (Although she already makes more than me and she's only a 2nd year resident.)

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Escape Artist wrote:
Just kidding, I don't have very many NE extras , but WildThingsGames probably has made thousands of dollars by doing that. Does anyone know the story behind how they got so many sets?
I remember this discussion coming up a few years ago whenever they started selling all the 1E promo cards on eBay. From what I recall in those forum discussions, it was something about Decipher giving them the cards as a settlement for what they owed them from some tournaments.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I work for the US Postal Service as a postmaster.

By RemoDav
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I'm a student loan deferment professional.

I also moonlight as a night auditor.

But mostly I let my wife make twice as much as me and float my habit (which is the equivalent of about 4 Kirks a month plus a trip to a Seattle tourney once or twice a year).

I'll be a teacher eventually. :cheersL: to all the teachers.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]