A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By stoovie (Matthyas Kiraly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Psychological advanage? We don't need no stinkin' psychological advanage. ;)

On-field, we are going to steam-roll you blokes, then, because of the deal with your GAA execs, we'll all go out, hand in hand, and have some Energy drinks to celebrate. :roll:

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
stoovie wrote:Psychological advanage? We don't need no stinkin' psychological advanage. ;)

On-field, we are going to steam-roll you blokes, then, because of the deal with your GAA execs, we'll all go out, hand in hand, and have some Energy drinks to celebrate. :roll:
What about this energy drink?
Menergy!

There's actually a small following for the GAA game here in Canada. I have played a bit in Toronto and Edmonton. Man, I miss playing.
Last edited by Foreman on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By TBT (Robert Dawson)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian National Champion 2015
Maelwys wrote:
McKennsy wrote:It should be Orange / Gold. Bloody Aussies, trying to steal the Pyschological advantage. Are ye going to use God Save the Queen as our National Anthem :evil:
C'mon now, be nice. We're all Commonwealth members here, we should be able to get along!

Yes, I know that Ireland is no longer part of the Commonwealth. That's what makes it funny. Get it? ;-)
While Australia is a part of the commonwealth, let me make my opinions on that topic very, very clear.

Some say the devil is dead,
The devil is dead,
The devil is dead,
Some say the devil is dead and buried in Killarney.
More say he rose again,
More say he rose again,
More say he rose again,
...and joined the British army.

By whampiri
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
well, match 1 over and we trounced ye! yip the amatures hammered the ozzies in their own back yard. I knew they couldn't win with skill. :lol: (it was a 1 point game) :shock:

roll on game 2 :wink:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I have yet to watch the game (I have it taped, so to speak - on dvd), but someone at the game texted me the result. As I said before, there is a huge difference switching from an elliptical ball to a round ball in a matter of a few weeks. And I'm sure that while we've been told to tone down our aggression, your GAA blokes probably exacted revenge for 2006.

I hear my boy Selwood didn't break any noses this time either and indeed had a far better game last night.

One point? Pfft, I'd hardly call that a trouncing. But I'm disappointed in our mob for not lifting, especially at my home ground, Subi, a.k.a. The House of Pain.

I don't think you're gonna get it that easy in Melbourne though. The home of footy, they're gonna rip you to shreds before you even make it onto the field... :twisted:

By McKennsy
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
As I said before, there is a huge difference switching from an elliptical ball to a round ball
I would have though that it would be an easy switch. With a round ball you know where the ball will bounce to, as opposed to the elliptical ball where the bounce can sometimes be a bit random. Although kicking from distance would take a bit of getting used to.
C'mon now, be nice. We're all Commonwealth members here, we should be able to get along!
You and the Aussie's might be, but we left that club quite a while ago. :wink:
There's actually a small following for the GAA game here in Canada. I have played a bit in Toronto and Edmonton. Man, I miss playing.
Football or Hurling?. I'm assuming football, but if you get a chance try Hurling. It is the greatest game ever!!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
McKennsy wrote:
As I said before, there is a huge difference switching from an elliptical ball to a round ball
I would have though that it would be an easy switch. With a round ball you know where the ball will bounce to, as opposed to the elliptical ball where the bounce can sometimes be a bit random.
No, it isn't. Take it from me. I played footy in school as a reasonably accurate forward player (I was a reasonable height in primary school, which meant I was always a target). A good player can kick an accurate low pass directly to a player 25-35m away. I could snap-kick (kicking the ball perpendicular to you) them even more accurately. You just can't learn to do that with a round ball in the 2-3 weeks our boys had to prepare if you've grown up with an Aussie-Rules footy in your hands.

Why do you think a limit on hand-passes had to be placed on the game? We would have convincingly trounced you if we let loose our running possession game. As I said before, our team are all small running types. Not to mention the leeway the Irish got on what's classified as a "hand-pass". Damn.

I have yet to watch the game, but I'll hand it to you guys, you did alright. But I will be *really* surprised if you get over us in Melbourne. I'd put money on that too. 8)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm watching the game now. Shhessh, I can think of a dozen AFL players who'd be better goalies than Nathan Bock. You guys definitely got lucky this game.

Full credit to the Irish, Cavanagh (above) punished us with his goal and two overs. Fairly dominant on-field presence too.

My boy Selwood (above) has been awesome. But then again, I already knew how good he was. ;)

Bit disappointed with Campbell Brown, expected a lot better from the 2008 Premiership player for Hawthorn, especially back in his home town. Mal Brown, hard man, WA footy legend and his Dad, will've probably had a word or two with him, then smack some sense into him.

Some pretty pathetic Aussie boys (Collingwood's Pendlebury and Thomas in particular). Lots of kicks falling short. Brennan's got the x-factor in the AFL, but I've felt that he's the type of player that fires one week, then goes cold for next three.

But our tackles have been top notch. Defensively, we were all over you guys. Next week, I think if we maintain our zoned defence strategy, I think we can hold you guys up, tire you out, then just go for overs for the win.

By whampiri
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
well stovie,thats pretty big talk so maybe a small friendly wager would be in order.il name the card i'd like off you and if you have it spare you name a card off me and if i have it spare it's a wager. i'll even give you the 1point head start that we beat you by last game. :lol:
I say a brutal experiments and you can name your card

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
McKennsy wrote:
You and the Aussie's might be, but we left that club quite a while ago. :wink:
Highlight the last part of my message. ;-)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
whampiri wrote:well stovie,thats pretty big talk so maybe a small friendly wager would be in order.il name the card i'd like off you and if you have it spare you name a card off me and if i have it spare it's a wager. i'll even give you the 1point head start that we beat you by last game. :lol:
I say a brutal experiments and you can name your card
Done.

Stripped Down. And the joy of hearing you and the rest of the Irish team cry when we beat you by two points this Friday night. :twisted:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Maelwys wrote:Highlight the last part of my message. ;-)
Chris, mate, this is beyond any fellowship. This is both national pride and the pride of our footy codes at stake here!

Sure, it's over a convoluted, hybrid game that does neither Gaelic or Aussie-Rules football any justice whatsoever, but that's besides the point. ;)

Off-field, we're all buddies (I think the Irish are some of the most sporting STCCG players in the world), but on the footy field, our two nations mean business. The gloves are off. The Guinness warmed, and the Leprechauns accosted for pot's o' gold.

By TBT (Robert Dawson)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian National Champion 2015
This is gold. Much like the games themselves, I don't care who wins, I want to see good competition.

Btw, Stoovie, Guinness is served COLD. To do otherwise is BLASPHEMY.

~Rob, who is getting increasing annoyed at his friends referring to Guinness as 'That black stuff you keep drinking'.
Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]