A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
It's a parody of political campaign signs.

I actually would vote Dukat/Weyoun if that was an option in November. Since this is reality, I'll be voting for the next best thing... Donald Trump. :D
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
The only upside of a Trump victory would be if Boris Johnson also gets the PM job in England, so we can see US-English summits where all the reporters studious avoid commenting on the fact that every strand of hair at the podium looks like it's desperately trying to escape.

By pschrader
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E American National Runner-Up 2023
AllenGould wrote:The only upside of a Trump victory would be if Boris Johnson also gets the PM job in England, so we can see US-English summits where all the reporters studious avoid commenting on the fact that every strand of hair at the podium looks like it's desperately trying to escape.
Doesn't look like part of that will happen... http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... CMP=twt_gu

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Legate_Damar wrote:It's a parody of political campaign signs.

I actually would vote Dukat/Weyoun if that was an option in November. Since this is reality, I'll be voting for the next best thing... Donald Trump. :D
Why does no one in the U.S. seem to think about the third way: voting for a third party candidate - there are about a dozen as far as I know.

That way, the vote counts and it does not do so for either Clinton or Trump.

Imagine 50 or so percent of the population voting for a third party ... having a third party candidate as president for the first time in U.S. history (or not?).

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Dukat wrote:

Why does no one in the U.S. seem to think about the third way: voting for a third party candidate - there are about a dozen as far as I know.

Imagine 50 or so percent of the population voting for a third party ... having a third party candidate as president for the first time in U.S. history (or not?).
Duverger's Law.

By pschrader
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E American National Runner-Up 2023
Dukat wrote:

This is a multifaceted problem:
1. Major party candidates get the majority of the funding. Since we don't have purely publically-financed elections here it's easy for major party candidates to destroy third party candidates in the funding race.

2. People want their vote to count. Most voters have an aversion to third party candidates since they feel that it's inevitable that a major party candidate will win. This leads them to vote for the "lesser of two evils" in most situations instead of voting their hearts.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Why does no one in the U.S. seem to think about the third way: voting for a third party candidate - there are about a dozen as far as I know.
Because of how the vote is structured. Look at Gary Johnson. He's polling around 8%, and is forecast to get 0 electoral votes, because it's not all in one place. If you look at the state-by-state polling, most states are solidly one way or the other (the "blue states" / "red states" problem). Everyone's fighting over the handful that could reasonably go either way. The president isn't one vote - it's a whole bunch of little votes, with a grand total at the end. (Really, you guys should get around to fixing that one of these days.)

Honestly, if someone managed to get 50% of the vote, they almost certainly wouldn't be a third-party. (It could be argued that Trump is effectively a third-party, since he is textbook RINO.)

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]