A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
  • 280 posts

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
So I swung by the local card store last night to take a look at Star Wars: Destiny as it was their weekly league? night. Got there and saw that a couple of the guys I know well from magic were playing so I talked to them and got a one hour learning the game tutoring session from them. I have to say that I definitely enjoyed it and so I bought the two starter decks and a box of the latest expansion. The "box" was really two halves of the two boxes the store had remaining. The players said I was taking a risk not getting an average number of legendaries. I pulled 6 legendaries including a Force Speed (yay!) and two copies of Blackmail (which looks really fun). I got Maz for a rare, 2 copies of Jyn, a Rocket Launcher (which also looks fun), and a vibroknife which I'm told is good for enhancing the Rey deck out of the box.

So the base set is sold out? Cant find it anywhere?

Where can I go to get singles from the base set then?

I found the FFG community boards. Any other community boards I should go to?

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Every time I look at this game I get turned off by all the dice involved. :thumbsdown:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
CaptMDKirk wrote:Every time I look at this game I get turned off by all the dice involved. :thumbsdown:
This is why I miss SWCCG: The Destiny draw mechanic is one of the most elegant I've seen for randomization, and the inverse relationship between the power of a card and its destiny number really made for some interesting deck building choices.

Also a shame that WARS never panned out. From what little I played of it, the core mechanics held up well despite the lack of lightsabers and X-Wings.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
CaptMDKirk wrote:Every time I look at this game I get turned off by all the dice involved. :thumbsdown:

As an old Anachronism player, I love all the dice involved. More than that, the discard to re-roll mechanic is a huge plus in Destiny's favor not to mention all the card and ability based re-rolls and side setting. I felt like I was playing some anachronism last night.

But the locals are just gonna have to get used to me using craps dice to mark damage. 8)

By ikeya (David Kuck)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote: I felt like I was playing some anachronism last night.
Statements like this are NOT helping me resist getting into SW:Destiny! :cheersL:

By kingmj4891 (Matthew King)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:How many star wars games are they going to make....
As many as they can sell.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Star Wars Destiny CCG is by far one of the most fun games you will ever play. Lots of strategy in the game, but also luck. Sure you can have the most powerful or expensive cards in game, but if you roll lousy, anyone can win. So many funky combinations out there it is crazy.

There are lots of us here playing the game. Plenty of FB pages to join. Lots of youtube videos and podcasts as well.

Spend $30 and just buy the 2 starters. You will have lots of fun just playing with those 2 decks alone (well balanced) with friends and family just for some fun game nights. Once you learn the mechanics, most games last 20 minutes or so.

~D
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
So Nasty Nate and I have been considering playing Star Wars: Destiny lately.

Is anyone else playing this? I've heard it's fun, but it seems like there is a real shortage of actual product and the secondary market is pretty crazy. What do you think?

TK

Mod Note (Armus): This post was merged into the existing thread on this topic.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Bosskamiura wrote:So Nasty Nate and I have been considering playing Star Wars: Destiny lately.

Is anyone else playing this? I've heard it's fun, but it seems like there is a real shortage of actual product and the secondary market is pretty crazy. What do you think?

TK

Mod Note (Armus): This post was merged into the existing thread on this topic.

Its a lot of fun and there's more product available now as FFG just put out another print run of the base set. FFG had many boxes available for purchase in house even though they don't have any showing available on their website. Online retailers are your best bet for getting boxes though right now. That said, it is true that the secondary market and trading market right now is rough but there are people selling on ebay and through the Star wars Destiny trading group facebook group.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm looking to buy a couple boxes tonight, and it seems both expansions are available. Any suggestions what I should go with? So far I've bought both starters and 10 Awakenings boosters, pulling a Poe.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:I'm looking to buy a couple boxes tonight, and it seems both expansions are available. Any suggestions what I should go with? So far I've bought both starters and 10 Awakenings boosters, pulling a Poe.
I heard Poe is pretty good!

TK

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Naetor wrote:I'm looking to buy a couple boxes tonight, and it seems both expansions are available. Any suggestions what I should go with? So far I've bought both starters and 10 Awakenings boosters, pulling a Poe.

The base set has a lot of the staple cards you'll need (which is to be expected) but spirit of rebellion has a lot of the highly used, high value cards right now. Bottom line is neither is a strictly better purchase over the other but I personally lean towards SOR for boxes right now since SOR has a better legendary rarity grouping.

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]

I know that, when this was ruled, it was intended[…]

Deck Design Strategy

I agree with @stressedoutatumc . The way I like[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]