A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
  • 140 posts

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote:Does anyone here know the general pattern of Magic releases? I'm trying to time my local Regionals, and would like to avoid hitting a prerelease date again.
Unfortunately for people who want to schedule stuff around prereleases and releases, they're being really coy about the next set (after Ravnica Allegiance) since it's highly relevant to the current ongoing plot.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:Does anyone here know the general pattern of Magic releases? I'm trying to time my local Regionals, and would like to avoid hitting a prerelease date again.
They're ballpark every 3 months for the major set releases, and then they sneak in the supplementary products in between.

As nob pointed out though - they're in the middle of rearranging a lot of the schedule (both release and tournament), so they're being cagy as to dates.

-  
AllenGould wrote:
They're ballpark every 3 months for the major set releases, and then they sneak in the supplementary products in between.

As nob pointed out though - they're in the middle of rearranging a lot of the schedule (both release and tournament), so they're being cagy as to dates.
Not just rearranging the schedule, it's pretty specific to the next set--they're playing really cagey with it, even more than you'd expect with all they're going with the new eSports model and putting some of their big events on Arena and such.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Since they are releasing 3 to 4 new sets (plus other stuff) per year, there is never a time that's not before a release.
The schedule is very dense.
 -  
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote:
Since they are releasing 3 to 4 new sets (plus other stuff) per year, there is never a time that's not before a release.
The schedule is very dense.
Mind, if we're just wanting to avoid double-booking against store events, it's pretty much just pre-releases that you want to dodge - the Big Events (whatever Pro Tours and Grand Prix are turning into) take place at convention halls and the like, so our events aren't really competing unless your local players are into that sorta thing.

-  
So I dunno if this was announced already or if someone at Wizards slipped up in the editing process, but, from Mark Rosewater's column today, as of 8:05 AM PST (so about 5 minutes after it went up)...
...but as War of the Spark (the May expansion also set on Ravnica)...
With a May release, those looking to schedule around its prerelease can probably figure on that falling anywhere between mid-April and mid-May.

EDIT: Oh, someone noticed this 18 days ago on the Coming Soon page on Wizards' site.

Though they say "Coming April 2019". So who knows exactly when the prereleases will be.
 -  
Community Contributor
Adjusting for Rosewater's known fiddly-memory, I'm thinking late-April is probably the safe bet. (Set might release first weekend of May, but that puts the pre-release back in April.)
 -  
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Did any of you jump on the Mythic Edition train?
Nope, too rich for my blood. Although the folks getting a free $200 foil sheet definitely came out ahead.
 -  
Community Contributor
Pazuzu wrote:No risk included But i am not interested in these Planeswalkers or making money out of Magic.
The Japanese 'walkers look real pretty, though. And WAR as a set is really nice - kid and I did the pre-release and enjoyed ourselves (got our arses handed to us, but our store's prize policy was "stay four rounds, get four packs" so yay.)

And I'd take another look at some of those Planeswalkers - a lot of them are really good, even among the rare/uncommons.

By Pazuzu
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
WAR is definitely good, no question! I did some Drafts and all were fun. Also most of the planeswalker in WAR are good, but of course it depends on the format you play. I like The Wanderer (on uncommon) in my EDH deck and it seems the new Karn (on Rare) is hot in Modern.

But I really cannot justify to either buy eight altered arts for 500+ or even more for the Japanese altered arts.
 -  
Community Contributor
Pazuzu wrote: But I really cannot justify to either buy eight altered arts for 500+ or even more for the Japanese altered arts.
Fair enough - I *might* get one as a single depending on the price bump (if I need one for a commander deck), but buying packs/boxes is a sucker bet in Magic (unless you're planning to draft 'em.)

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Pazuzu wrote:No risk included But i am not interested in these Planeswalkers or making money out of Magic.
Actually, there are many ways to make money with Magic.

However, most people only invest short-term, which is their first mistake.

With something like Magic, you have to think long-term.
Kinda like the Dominion, when they wanted that star systems where they could make one of the ingredients of Ketracel-White :D.

Meanwhile, I have a feeling that after all of this modern cards hype, old stuff, including the RL, will be back in focus anytime soon.
Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]