A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
  • 140 posts

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
I'll start with this ...
The Masters 25 spoiler is out:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... masters-25

I think that this is quite a nice set. The idea of using those watermarks on each card (!) is quite beautiful.
I think I will buy some of those cards just for the looks. I mean ... each card is a piece of art!
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Fritzinger wrote:How do the masters sets work, it looks like cards from many different sets. And in relation to standard? Can you play all of them?
They're not Standard-legal, and they're all reprints. The "Masters" sets tend to be targeted to folks who didn't get the cards on the original printing, and to increase supply (which lowers the cost of expensive staples.)

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Basically, they have cards from and for all formats. Just like Iconic Masters, it is a reprint set of well-known cards.

The booster packs can be used for draft events, but I am not sure what format such an event belongs to.
The set definitely has no relation to standard format, although some cards belong to the current standard format editions.
They're not Standard-legal, and they're all reprints. The "Masters" sets tend to be targeted to folks who didn't get the cards on the original printing, and to increase supply (which lowers the cost of expensive staples.)
Also, some cards will be available as foil cards for the first time ever. So it's also about cool cards :D.
 -  
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote:The booster packs can be used for draft events, but I am not sure what format such an event belongs to.
Draft events don't have a format beyond "draft". :)

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
They really knocked it out of the park with this set. Looks like it's chock full of popular cards, some of which have needed reprinting to increase their available supply, thus dropping the average price and helping budget players stretch their legs into the Modern format.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I buy a box every other year or so to play pack wars casually. I jumped at a pre-order of A25 for $160. You are right, the set icon watermarks are really nice. I'm looking forward to seeing them in foil.

I have some questions about some of their mythic choices - many of them will be a disappointment to open (watch me get a foil of that damn tree). But there are a lot of cards I'll be pleased to see.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Yeah ... people are really pissed because of the tree. Nonetheless, all in all, the set is really well constituted.

What I really love about this set is that even many Commons and Uncommons in foil will be very cool to open in a pack!

Savannah Lions for example looks stunningly good, as well as Ghost Ship, Ancient Craving and Fallen Angel.

Oh and don't forget ...

I think it's the only card from Arabian Nights. The watermark is cool.

What I also find quite interesting is Ihsan’s Shade. An uncommon legendary creature that is also a knight. 5 mana for a 5/5 creature is not great, but it's not bad either.

The picture however is marvelous! Looks like a design draft from Diablo 3!

At the moment however, I am not sure if open booster packs will be a good idea. I want a few of those cards, in foil, but the chance of actually picking them is relatively low. Most of the cards I want are Commons and Uncommons and some rares, ironically.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I played Magic from 1994-1998. But only casual. All-blue. Control Magic, Counterspell, Steal Artefact, High Tide... :) My favourite cards back then: Counterspell, Giant Tortoise, Unstable Mutation, Unsummon and, my all-time favourite: Boomerang :) , so versatile . Unfortunately I sold all my cards... Too early... They'd be worth a fortune now :( . @Andreas: When you're next time in Berlin, we might check im Laden if I can get something similar together cheap.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I was pleasantly surprised to see Rishadan Port reprinted. At long last, and they even kept the awesome lore.
Dukat wrote:I think it's the only card from Arabian Nights. The watermark is cool.
Dave Howell wrote a neat piece on the production of Arabian Nights ("The Arabian Nightmare"). The part about faxing over a blown-up copy of the scimitar to make the deadline is pretty cool.
 -  
Community Contributor
SirDan wrote:I buy a box every other year or so to play pack wars casually.
Have you tried Winston Draft? That's our household's followup to pack wars - buy nine packs, play three rounds of Pack Wars to open them up, then shuffle them together for a Winston draft.

By JamesValEson (Barry Windschitl)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Dukat wrote:I'll start with this ...
The Masters 25 spoiler is out:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... masters-25

I think that this is quite a nice set. The idea of using those watermarks on each card (!) is quite beautiful.
I think I will buy some of those cards just for the looks. I mean ... each card is a piece of art!
Hey, Brah, I've been dabbling in MTG lately (thanks Schedule).

As far as M25 is concerned, I am Definitely going to look at this as a chance to get any needed singles for modern (Chalice, a couple Blood Moons, a playset of Bridges, Bolts, etc). As a lot of people have said, this is good for getting those high-priced singles, but paying $10 per pack with the rare/ Mythic spread just looks Painful.

I Was hoping for Karn. Liberated to get a reprint as I just scored a playset of 'Tron Lands.

Here's looking to Dominaria!

BDubs

By JamesValEson (Barry Windschitl)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
SirDan wrote:(watch me get a foil of that damn tree).
HAHAHA.... That Is a very popular sentiment with this set.
Last edited by JamesValEson on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]