A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
(Note: I have not seen Solo, nor am I sure that I want to see it, so for the sake of fairness, I will leave it out of this list.)

1. The Empire Strikes Back: I know, such a bold controversial choice. This does what a great sequel should do: Tell a great story that doesn't just copy the first but really delves into our characters now that we don't have to spend time exploring how they got here. Also it's pretty bold in that it means its title. The characters don't win by any stretch of the imagination, they just survive. But still, we leave off with hope. Also, points for arguably the biggest reveal ever in pre-Internet cinema.

2. A New Hope (aka the first movie): On its own, this movie is almost a fairy tale. The characters basically come from nothing (except Leia) and deal a devastating blow to this Galactic Empire out of nowhere. The rest of the franchise doesn't exist without this coming together so perfectly.

3. Rogue One: Here's my first controversy, but I thought this movie was great. Like Empire, it basically makes clear that one does not fight a Galactic Empire because they think they can WIN, but because they must even if it's ultimately suicidal (and perhaps even moreso than in Empire.) Alan Tudyk's portrayal of K-2SO was just plain perfect, but there was a lot to like besides that.

Though I will say that in an effort to explain a "plot hole" that was just fine before, this movie made it worse. So having the exhaust port WAS an avoidable error? And no one caught it? I presume the "analysis" mentioned in the first movie was Galen Erso just TELLING them about the port, otherwise it makes it even sillier.

Also, this widened another plot hole. Does a galaxy far, far away have data transmission? The scene in Empire where the Emperor contacted Vader (aka the scene no one minded being changed for the Special Editions) implies that they do, but if so, why not transmit the plans to the entire galaxy and thus leave no clue where the Rebels ultimately receiving them are? Except that that kills the whole franchise.

Also, the CGI characters couldn't quite get out of the Uncanny Valley and that was a little distracting.

4. Return of the Jedi: I was actually torn on whether to rank it above Revenge of the Sith or not, but on further contemplation, I just couldn't. Maybe I'm the sci fi fan equivalent of a homer, but the original cast is the best cast. It might have ranked higher without all the Ewok nonsense (that I still eventually blame for Jar Jar), but it was definitely a satisfying wrap up to the story had we never received anything else outside of the original Expanded Universe.

5. Revenge of the Sith: Most would agree that this is best of the prequel films, though that isn't saying much. The Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman stuff isn't anywhere near as bad as it was last time, but there are still some head scratching moments there. But I did like the opening space battle stuff, and Ian McDiarmid is great as the Emperor. I did feel that the movie continued a lot longer than it needed to just to wrap up all the loose ends to go into the classic trilogy.

6. The Force Awakens: There was a lot to like here, but it was ultimately hurt by how much they grabbed A New Hope in a bear hug and never let go. It was only slightly better than what Star Trek Into Darkness did to Wrath of Khan. I was intrigued by all the story lines set up, but...

7. The Last Jedi: ....Rian Johnson happened. I could go into a whole diatribe, but it's mostly all of the story lines Abrams set up being basically answered by "Eh, it doesn't matter" and the betrayal of Luke's character (a great video I watched basically made a premise that the "New Hope" in A New Hope was Luke, and that hope was the entire basis of his character. Also, between the two movies, it really sucked that we didn't (and never will) get a shot of Luke, Leia and Han all simultaneously on screen ever again.

I've heard the theory floating around that the studio was considering apologizing, officially de-canonizing it and remaking it from scratch with a whole new story, and frankly that wouldn't be a bad idea.

8. Attack of the Clones: These two are the dregs and AotC basically gets the benefit of being less awful than TPM. Anakin's and Padme's awful romance is at its nadir here (And once we start our Star Wars conspiracy thread, we can put in that perhaps Anakin was, consciously or not, influencing Padme to fall in "love" with him and that's why that happened despite the awkwardness. And that makes the entire franchise kind of icky.) Lucas didn't get the idea quite yet that no one liked Jar Jar (as opposed to RotS only having a 2 second non-speaking cameo for the guy) and had him be the one responsible for giving Palpatine emergency power. Some nice bits, but not enough to save anything.

9. The Phantom Menace: And we're back to total non-controversy. To be fair, there was so much hype for this that there was no way this was going to be well received. But the plot relied on everyone accepting a lot of backstory and that there was political maneuvering going on. Jar Jar was incredibly stupid. I get the complaints of those who say he came off as racist, but I felt Watto and the Trade Federation were much more problematic there.

There were massive plot holes, like how Quigon and Obi-Wan rode to the surface in Trade Federation vehicles landing invasion troops, but had to ultimately go through the planet's (apparently completely inactive) core to reach the city where the Queen was, so why were invasion forces being landed so far away? Also Quigon's decision making regarding obtaining the parts that were needed left some head scratching too. Even if Watto was immune to Jedi mind tricks, he could certainly find someone who wasn't who would take the Republic Credits in exchange for local currency. And how could he think leaving Shmi there was a good idea? And why the virgin birth? Argh.

Add to this the pod racing scene that came off as a commercial for the admittedly very good game, Jake Lloyd NOT being up to a challenge like this role (or having good material to work from) and having four separate plots going at the end (Jar Jar and the Gungans fighting Droids, Padme and her group trying to capture the Trade Federation's chancellor, Quigon and Obi-Wan fighting Darth Maul and Anakin and the Naboo pilots fighting the Droid Control Ship and it was a mess)

These are my beliefs, and as such are beyond contestation!

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
All I'll say is that Matthew Stover's novelization of Revenge of the Sith is actually really good. His approach was that he had a bad plot but reasonably interesting characters, so the novel's actually a character study.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
From best to worst:

Return of the Jedi - quit whining about the Ewoks; Vader's redemption is really really good and the Battle of Endor is incredible

A New Hope - Best pulp space adventure flick... ever?

Empire Strikes Back - Excellent filmmaking mildly hobbled by middle-of-trilogy syndrome and reliance on its famous twist

Revenge of the Sith - Vader's descent into evil isn't nearly as well-done but is the most interesting story Star Wars ever told or even attempted to tell

Solo - its flaws are obvious, but the sheer joy of it overpowers everything else

Rogue One - yes, I too loved The Guns Of Navarone, and this is the only post-Sith movie that tries to return to the roots of Star Wars (1940s action movies and serials) and expand the vocabulary of Star Wars. All other post-Sith movies have been engaged primarily in weird, incestuous meta-commentary on Star Wars instead of in filmmaking. (Yes, even my beloved Solo.)

The Last Jedi - like I said yesterday, half the movie is good (Luke/Rey/Kylo) and half the movie just... doesn't quite add up.

The Phantom Menace - this movie is awful, but is trying to do something completely different.

The Force Awakens - this movie is awful, but is trying to do something others have already done much better

Attack of the Clones - just a long, painful, constantly awkward slog whose only selling point is an overlong, flashy, directionless battle at the very end

The Clone Wars - the CGI movie is a real contender for worst movie I ever saw in a theatre. I've heard the series eventually got good, but MAN was this awful

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Empire as the worst of the classic trilogy?

-  
Community Contributor
EHCCGPP wrote:Empire as the worst of the classic trilogy?
Call it "least best." Because it really is an excellent movie and one of the best sequels (to anything) ever. If Empire were a Star Trek movie, the only serious competition it would face is from TWOK, and I think Empire is ultimately even better constructed than TWOK.

But it's the middle child in a trilogy with an even better sequel (because it has the ending, and the ending is good) and the most groundbreaking science-fiction blockbuster of all time. The competition is fierce.

You've got good gif game, though.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
ROG1
ESB
ANH
RotJ
RotS
Solo
PM
AotC
TLJ
TFA

- to me, the battle scene in rogue one is the absolute best and the scene with Vader is just rad. There are just a lot of great scenes in this movie. I enjoy it from start to finish.

- I liked solo and don't understand the hate. I think it shows Hans development well, in particular that his core attribute is optimism.

- I don't know where to put the clone wars so I left it off. I don't like the show much.

- sorry, but tfa is still the most garbage movie ever and as long as the scene with everyone looking into the sky watching a star system LIGHT YEARS AWAY BLOW UP IN REAL TIME is still in the official cut, it will always be total garbage. F you jar jar abrams.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
HoodieDM wrote:Yep, TLJ is the worst SW movie out there!!
TLJ is the worst SW movie out there!!

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I’m in a very awkward place here, because I really did not like The Last Jedi very much, but a lot of very unpleasant people have been very vocal on the Internet about hating that it for very wrong reasons.

It was a bad movie, but the reasons everyone else didn’t like it are wrong; it was bad because it didn’t steer hard enough into the things fanboys didn’t like about it. (Luke should have been even more of an asshole, for example.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 -  
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote:I’m in a very awkward place here, because I really did not like The Last Jedi very much, but a lot of very unpleasant people have been very vocal on the Internet about hating that it for very wrong reasons.
I think we just gotta roll with that nowadays, because it's happening with everything. Like, there was stuff about New Ghostbusters I liked and other stuff that I didn't. I'm not going to shut up about it because a certain very vocal contingent hated it -- that's letting the trolls control the conversation. So I give my opinion and try to make it clear that I'm not coming at it from a trolling perspective. So! Go for it! Tell us what you thought of TLJ and why!

(Of course, there's more to be said about the culture-war implications of The Last Jedi and cinema generally... but, if we want to talk about that, we can take it over to Quark's Bar and leave these kindly citizens to peaceably argue about Jar-Jar, who was fine and made me laugh quite a lot when I was little.)

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
  1. Return of the Jedi
  2. A New Hope
  3. Empire Strikes Back
  4. Rogue One
  5. Revenge of the Sith
  6. The Phantom Menace
  7. Attack of the Clones
  8. The Force Awakens
  9. The Last Jedi
I put the original trilogy on top for nostalgic purposes because I loved these movies when I was little and they introduced me to SciFi. From a pure cinematic experience I'd put Rogue One as my #1! R1 was the Star Wars movie I wanted from TFA but JJ decided to rip the heart out of SW and replace it with something artificial to create an abomination.

The Last Jedi only made it to #20 because I was too lazy to copy and paste to #99
I can only feel rage, fury and eternal hatred for that stinking piece of garbage.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
One bit of enlightening I've gotten here... I thought for sure nearly everyone would have Empire and New Hope at the top and Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace at the bottom.

Yeah, TFA and TLJ were bad, but but not to anywhere near the levels of AotC and TPM I thought...
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]

@Brad are you Brad Snyder?

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its ef[…]

Capturing Related

Thank you for the explanation. It's speculative, b[…]