A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
  • 159 posts

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I've been enjoying Two Point Hospital, bringing back all kinds of Theme Hospital memories from back in the day.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
If you also liked the game Theme Park back in the day, I highly recommend Planet Coaster with the following warnings:

1. It's a LITTLE DLC happy. Hopefully in the near future, they'll come out with a Game of the Year Edition.

2. This game will suck you into trying to make your park look absolutely perfect.

And if you like that, there's a very similar Zoo Tycoon-esque game called Planet Zoo. Same issues apply as well as it takes itself too seriously to let you block the exits, then open the cages up and watch all the people run away.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
It'll probably be a while before I pick up a next gen console, both because I just got a new gaming computer and because I like to wait until they come out with thin or slim models of new consoles because then the bugs are worked out and it's cheaper.

That said, looking at what we've seen so far, it's looking like digital only consoles are the wave of the future, and I have mixed feelings. On one hand, the vast majority of my collections on modern consoles are digital anyway. It's just more convenient than storing and swapping physical media. On the other, this puts the console makers in monopolistic control of the market. You won't be able to buy or sell used games, and never find good deals due to overstock of physical media. Also, outside of buying someone's game account with their console, games can be removed from purchase forever with just a press of a button.

So it might ultimately be better for me, but I don't like having the choice taken away.

On a side note, really liking the new computer. Especially the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. It plays like a dream. I think I squeed a bit when, after customizing my plane's callsign, I rolled out to the runaway with a fully (and correctly) voiced call of "Tower, this is Cessna Boffo Niner Seven..." from the simulated ATC.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
I was mildly tempted by the PS4, for Horizon Zero Dawn and Spiderman, but the price point never worked out. We have a Switch (and it's a great machine), but I think we're opting out of consoles for a while.

By Spock with a Goatee (Stephen R Sanders)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:33 pm I was mildly tempted by the PS4, for Horizon Zero Dawn and Spiderman, but the price point never worked out. We have a Switch (and it's a great machine), but I think we're opting out of consoles for a while.
Horizon Zero Dawn surprisingly just got ported to PC. Its way overpriced right now at $50 on Steam (considering it is $20 on PS4, and often $15), but that price should drop soon. I finished it earlier this year. It is a good game. Beautiful graphics, very intriguing main story line and fun combat system. Its drawbacks are very flat characters and mostly pointless side quests. Can't quite compete with the open world experience of Breath of the Wild or Witcher III, but still worth playing.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I need to get to Horizon Zero Dawn myself. Got the Complete version for $10 for PS4 a while back. Played a little. Looked neat.

And I should get Witcher 3 one of these days, particularly since I have a PC that can play it now and the PC GotY edition is commonly $15.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Yes, Witcher 3 is very much worth it- especially for that price, when you can easily get 100's of hour of enjoyment.

We like it enough that it's the one game we have 2 copies of, one for each PS4- for a while we were playing at the same time :D

I've restarted Dragon age Inquisition for now
 -  
Community Contributor
I'm waiting for the bug fixes on the PC Horizon (I hear it's got some crashing issues).

I tried Civ VI, but I apparently do not build civs in the "proper" way, so... yeah.

Debating between doing another playthrough of Disco Elysium right away or switching to Yakuza Kiwami 1 for a while in my "RPG run around" space.

In the simsy space, I got Rimworld for my birthday, and am in the middle of trying out Dead in Vinland, which is OK - bit too much uninterruptable dialogue for my taste, and I have questions about the dev's decision to make building a tavern for your household to be one of the first required buildings for your family of 4. ;)

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
How many of you have tried Guild Wars 2?
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
AllenGould wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:04 pmI tried Civ VI, but I apparently do not build civs in the "proper" way, so... yeah.
I'm the same way in V & VI. I don't enjoy the way the game forces the economy, either the pace or the specialization.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Nerdopolis Prime wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:54 pm How many of you have tried Guild Wars 2?
I love GW2. It replaced WoW for me. I haven't played much since I moved to Salem, sadly, but I still pop in from time to time and remember why I love the game.

-crp

By MrVorlon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I've been trying to play Marvel's Avengers, but I am at an Iron Man level I cannot get through on easy.

I also bought the DLC for The Outer Worlds, but apparently I have to replay the whole game to get to the new content.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
So I ended up, by complete accident, earning an Achievement in Civilization V. And when I saw what it was, I had to laugh:

Raiders of the Lost Ark: Have your American Archaeologist extract an Artifact from Egypt with a German Archaeologist within 2 tiles.
 -  
Community Contributor
I missed out on original Myst, but I have the Masterpiece Edition. And realMyst, where everything was re-rendered and the interface changed from point-and-click to FPS movement. And I even have realMyst: Masterpiece Edition, when all the graphics got another upgrade.

So, when I saw that there was another release of Myst, I figured hey, I'm good. I own three copies.

And then I watched the trailer.

Damn it.

:D

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I've probably mentioned Epic Gaming Store on PC a few times in here. As part of their quest to become a competitor for Steam, they've been giving away a free game (or games) every Thursday, and it's yours to keep in your library if you register it during that week.

This week's games? Stick it to the Man, Football Manager 2020 and Watch Dogs 2.

Which isn't bad for free.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation