A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
  • 159 posts
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: I got sidetracked into Outer Wilds (I fell in love with it during their demo and then had to wait for it to get off Epic Exclusive), but holy cow that game is not afraid to kill you or otherwise punish you for doing something careless, dangerous, or just stupid. (Example: I am currently 1-for-3 on successfully deorbiting without my spaceship. )
Finished this one, and can highly recommend it up through the final puzzle, which does a pretty solid job of making sure you actually understand how all the mechanics work and didn't just blunder through it. The finale itself is... a bit meta for my taste? Your mileage may vary, and it's not nearly enough to make me not recommend the game, because everything else is so good.
 -  
Community Contributor
Wow, no-one else has played video games lately? ;)

Just finished Disco Elysium, and I can *highly* recommend it. Like, in the "I'm going to be circumspect about the plot because you deserve to experience it cold because it's *that* good".

So, I'm gonna tell you two things about the game to hype it, and then just add "it's really really good, honest!"

1. It's a walk-around Detective RPG, with one of the best skill systems I've ever hit. You have 4 attributes, and 24 skills, and all the skills are double-edged swords. Too low a stat, and you can't do those things. Too *high* a stat, and you start taking it to extremes. (e.g. one skill is Authority. Too low, and you can't make the rolls to get people to take you seriously. But at higher levels it starts piping up everytime someone doesn't Respect Your Authoritah and adding dialogue options to make you get all puffed up.)

1a. Oh yeah - your skills actually *talk* to you, like little party members in your head. They'll even argue with each other. And as you make (or don't make) those rolls, it adds dialogue options or even forces them.

2. Because you will not remotely get enough skill points (even using stat items) to get all those checks, there are multiple paths through the story and multiple endings. That's in addition to the side-quests - and in all honestly I couldn't tell you which chunks of the plot I played were main and which were side, because weird threads come back to hook into the main plot. (And stuff that looked important end up being nothingburgers.)
edit: And I'm *positive* I missed a whole chunk of content, but it doesn't feel like it (beyond the meta-gaming "well, I didn't drink or use any of those drugs..." sense. ;) )

So... yeah - it's REALLY good, and definitely worth grabbing next time it's on sale. (Or right now, if you're into CRPGs and detective noir style settings.)
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Can't talk, obsessively checking turnip prices...

(That game sounds awesome Allen, is it just on console?)

-crp

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I've been playing some, but I forgot the thread was here, oops...

Had a craving for some old favorite PS3 games, so currently working on Dragon Age 2 between other projects.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Right now:

Main PC game I'm playing is World of Warcraft, which is about to have its newest expansion in a couple of months. I'm actually a little weird in the game in that I don't really do dungeons or raids much, but just like solo questing with people to chat with and interact with for the most part.

I'm expecting a new computer to come in in the near future. I just did get a new one a few years ago, but it's really starting to be held back by its CPU, an Intel i3-7100. New rig has an Intel i9-9900 so that's a pretty major upgrade and some other nice features, including an SSD which is really supposed to increase WoW's performance when installed there. After the upgrade, I want to get Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, which looks amazing and other than cost and DLC plans, I haven't heard much of anything bad about it.

Main console game I'm playing is Madden 21 (which I got on Xbone this year after a long stretch of getting it on PS4), which just came out. Might end up the only NFL football played this year.

Main VR game I play is Pokerstars VR, a free to play Poker game with all sorts of props you can buy to play around with. It's best played late at night though as during the day, it's infested with screaming little kids, horrible racists, or little kids screaming horrible racist slurs. It's also the platform I'll likely play Star Trek Bridge Crew on if we ever get a game of that going again.

And just for completeness, main mobile game I play is WWE Supercard, though it's hard to call that a video game. ;)

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ghost of Tsushima had completely sucked me in. But its hard to hold a PS4 controller with a cast so I'm taking a break...
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:Can't talk, obsessively checking turnip prices...

(That game sounds awesome Allen, is it just on console?)

-crp
Nope, I played on PC. Looks like it's on All The Major Platforms.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Here's what I've been playing lately:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons. This is a fun game, but going to work full time has cut into my daily play time. Fortunately, there are small children in my house that I can bribe to check turnip prices for me. I'm close to paying off the final loan for my house, then I can sink a ton of money into my island's improvements.

Diablo III. I used to play this on my PC before it died, and it was recently on sale on the Switch. Oh boy is this game amazing on the console. It's clean and streamlined and it's insanely fun. If you played it when it first came out, it wasn't very good, but the expansion and the changes since has made this a great and worthy follow up to D2. Check it out - especially on console.

Civilization VI. This is my go-to, "lose yourself for hours and hours" game. It runs nicely on my laptop, which doesn't run much else. I've been working on achievement hunting and trying to work my way up the difficulty levels. I am, admittedly, not very good, but I really love playing.

Star Realms. The app is pretty good, the expansions are pretty cheap, and I've been playing quite a bit again lately.

-crp

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:
Here's what I've been playing lately:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons. This is a fun game, but going to work full time has cut into my daily play time. Fortunately, there are small children in my house that I can bribe to check turnip prices for me. I'm close to paying off the final loan for my house, then I can sink a ton of money into my island's improvements.
Diablo III. I used to play this on my PC before it died, and it was recently on sale on the Switch. Oh boy is this game amazing on the console. It's clean and streamlined and it's insanely fun. If you played it when it first came out, it wasn't very good, but the expansion and the changes since has made this a great and worthy follow up to D2. Check it out - especially on console.
Civilization VI. This is my go-to, "lose yourself for hours and hours" game. It runs nicely on my laptop, which doesn't run much else. I've been working on achievement hunting and trying to work my way up the difficulty levels. I am, admittedly, not very good, but I really love playing.

Star Realms. The app is pretty good, the expansions are pretty cheap, and I've been playing quite a bit again lately.

-crp
I love DIII on the Switch. Great for car/plane rides. :thumbsup:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I love Choice and Consequence adventures. Besides Life is strange there is Detroit become Human. Tons of choices and different endings.

By MrVorlon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Caretaker's Guest wrote:I love Choice and Consequence adventures. Besides Life is strange there is Detroit become Human. Tons of choices and different endings.
I love Detroit: Become Human. I have spent way too much free time this past month watching people play it on YouTube. I love seeing people's reactions to that game.

By MrVorlon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
A few months ago I played The Other Worlds which was awesome. I am excited to see some DLC coming for it next week.

I also played The Council recently. Has anyone else played this game?

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I need to get to Detroit: Become Human and Beyond: Two Souls. I really liked Heavy Rain, and all 3 are on my PS4 right now.

Also, since Heavy Rain has been mentioned, SHAUN!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I also played The Council recently. Has anyone else played this game?
Yes. I liked the RPG elements and was for the first three chapters intrigued by the story. But I found the resolution of the story quite unsatisfactory.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
On my phone:

The new Roll for the Galaxy app. (I think I finally get this game.)

On my console:

Batman: Arkham Knight. (But only when the 5-year-old is almost dead and needs me to finish a fight.)

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]