A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
  • 256 posts

Should Trekcc.org have a code of conduct?

No. Let people speak their minds and police themselves.
16%
Yes, but it needs to be more restrictive than the current CoC.
37%
Yes, but it needs to be less restrictive than the current CoC.
16%
Yes, and the current CoC is well suited to the task.
32%

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
pfti wrote:we may also want data of how many reports get ignored (and depending on how the mods feel about sharing this) against whom?
Years ago they shut any kind of talk about this down. They didn't want it known that one or two people were making 95% of the reports. And 95% of the reports being made against me.
Last edited by KillerB on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: * "I just got suspended and I'm using the report button to continue arguing with the mods instead of the PM system for some reason?"
That one’s Fake News; you can’t report while you’re banned.
I'm not buying most of that. James has shown he's prone to mod fan fiction.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
KillerB wrote: Accusing people of committing crimes on the boards is slander. It doesn't matter if you don't use names. These are the rules of the CoC. I implore the Mods to stop making excuses EVERY time somebody on the 'good side' violates the CoC.
FYI... “slander” is spoken word, “libel” is written word (taking communications law you need to know the difference).

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
Jono wrote:
KillerB wrote: Accusing people of committing crimes on the boards is slander. It doesn't matter if you don't use names. These are the rules of the CoC. I implore the Mods to stop making excuses EVERY time somebody on the 'good side' violates the CoC.
FYI... “slander” is spoken word, “libel” is written word (taking communications law you need to know the difference).
I meant the 'action', not the crime. As a verb, not a noun. I'm not calling a lawyer. :wink:

This is how people have to show their aggression now, much like young girls in school, with reputation damage. You can't be forthright and honest (tell somebody how you really feel) or it's viewed as violence of some sorts. People must to be "protected" from that. :?
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
KillerB wrote:
Jono wrote:
I meant the 'action', not the crime. As a verb, not a noun. I'm not calling a lawyer. :wink:
That's what he meant - you libel someone in written word, you slander someone in spoken. They're both nouns and verbs.

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
That's what he meant - you libel someone in written word, you slander someone in spoken. They're both nouns and verbs.
*sigh* (My brother was right after TCM, the nerd game is everyone thinking they're the smartest guy in the room).

I know what Sean was saying. The boards are 'written word', not a spoken statement. But it's really virtual conversation, so that's why I used slander. Libel is also 'published' word.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
I seem to be fairly late to the discussion, but my two pence is that this community absolutely needs a Code of Conduct at least as strong as it is currently, and perhaps stronger. And one that is just as importantly enforced.

I'm in or have been in a variety of online communities on a variety of subjects for many years, and above all else what will drive people away from a community is a lack of conduct rules and a lack of reasonable enforcement of those rules. I've seen it happen before, and I'll likely see it happen again at some point.

For example, it's taken me and a few others several years of positive and helpful posting to get the average player to start using the official forums for one game I play, as well as a certain amount of prodding of the developers to be more active in that part of their community and enforce the rules they set, because it had got that bad.

The TrekCC forums aren't in that state thankfully, but they could be if we allow them to become so. And to be frank, we're still a relatively small community and we cannot afford that. It's astounding that Star Trek CCG is still going today some 12 years after Decipher stopped making cards, and that's in large part because of the passion and commitment of the players, including the Continuing Committee. But sometimes passion can overflow and when that happens we need rules to fall back on. That's what the COC does, and it exists for everyone's benefit.

In conclusion, a lawless wild west may sound like fun to some, but it really, really isn't. Having a general set of standards of conduct which are enforced when necessary, especially when it comes to how we treat each other, is necessary for this (or any) community to be a fun and friendly place where players want to come and talk.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
MattgomeryScott wrote:
In conclusion, a lawless wild west may sound like fun to some, but it really, really isn't.

Mattgomery Scott.
You were making reasonable points, but when you conclude with this it means you didn't listen to the other side. Once again, nobody is advocating for abolishing the CoC.

Please people, listen to the other side.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:
MattgomeryScott wrote:
In conclusion, a lawless wild west may sound like fun to some, but it really, really isn't.

Mattgomery Scott.
You were making reasonable points, but when you conclude with this it means you didn't listen to the other side. Once again, nobody is advocating for abolishing the CoC.

Please people, listen to the other side.
Except that the other side has repeatedly made demands in the past to abolish it and has hitched their horse to that post, so yah folks are listening too the "real demands"

-- Back on topic, it's clear that the majority consensus is at a minimal for the CoC remaining as is if not getting more strict

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
Mogor wrote:
Except that the other side has repeatedly made demands in the past to abolish it and has hitched their horse to that post, so yah folks are listening too the "real demands"

-- Back on topic, it's clear that the majority consensus is at a minimal for the CoC remaining as is if not getting more strict
*sigh* once again, you're using the strawman of arguments people made 3+ years ago before the COC was implemented.

--on topic, I concede that the 'combined majority' is for as is/stricter, but what % of people wanting change are you comfortable telling to 'go someplace else' (this is arguments your side is making now)?

I *think* it kinda breaks down 1/3 make changes, 1/3 leave as/is, 1/3 stricter. I can only speak for myself, but I don't want to be part of any community to tells 1/3 of it's people who feel a system is unfair to 'go someplace else'.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:
Mogh, Son Of Worf wrote:
KillerB wrote: but I don't want to be part of any community to tells 1/3 of it's people who feel a system is unfair to 'go someplace else'.
What planet will you emigrate to?
For a star trek message board we should have higher aspirations.
Sorry, thats a negative.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]