A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hey all,

After quite some time of being on these boards, I love seeing all the different handles people use on here. Some are trek themed, some not.

I got curious to know where some of you got your names and why you chose them.

For me, seems rather obvious. I had a bit of a thing for Jeri Ryan. So the name is just a play on words of her Voy character. Pretty simple .. and juvenile, really :)

What about you folks? :)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
EHCCGPP:

After my friend introduced me to this game, we were the only two we knew of who were really into it, and particularly after he went into the Army, I had no one to play against for the most part.

So after Voyager debuted, I thought "It'd be handy to have some kind of Emergency Holographic CCG Playing Program to play against!" and started using that handle on the Decipher boards, not realizing until later I wasn't even close to the acronym of the EMH.

Boffo97 (pretty much my main Internet handle):

One day in church, they mentioned that anyone who didn't have a name tag yet should request one via the comment cards and to "put what you would like it to say on it.". Being random, I commented "You can put Dave Hines or Boffo the Squiggle King on it. Your choice." with the latter totally random at the spur of the moment.

That happened to stick in my brain so I started using Boffo as a handle. In 1997 or thereabouts, Boffo was starting to become more and more unavailable, so I appended 97. It had a nice ring to it, so I kept it.

My liegeship over squiggles has unfortunately been ignored over the years.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
It’s a contraction of my given name, and the nickname used by friends.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Back in the BBS (dial-in) days, I used to go by either Tas (from Tasslehoff Burrfoot of the Dragonlance Chronicles), or Lightning (no clue why, I was a kid and just thought it sounded cool I guess).

When I started on the internet I decided that I needed something a little more obscure and unique because the Internet had a lot more users than my local BBSs, so I figured there'd a thousand people using those names. At the time I was reading the Pendragon Cycle, so I flipped through it to find a random obscure name that others were unlikely to choose. Maelwys ap Baeddan is one of the Knights of the Round Table from Welsh lore, and I thought it was a cool name. So I went with it.

(my first Geocities website featured the image from the Gatherers card, because it was the closest I could find on a trek card to a picture of a group of medieval welsh knights)
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I picked jadziadax8 because I wanted a [Fed] personnel who reflected many of my skills and interests. The first Jadzia Dax card from DS9 fit the bill. At the time I started playing I hadn't seen much DS9, but became a Dax fan as I watched more of the show. I'm a physicist, space nerd and NASA fangirl, so I'm cool adding the astro to the physics. I grew up near Cahokia Mounds World Heritage site, so dabbled in archaeology and anthropology as a kid. I give myself Nav x2 because if I've driven myself somewhere before, I can usually find it again without using a map and I always know where north is no matter where I'm located. I didn't know this was an unusual skill until I was well into my 20s.

Oh, and the 8 is because Jadzia was the 8th host of the Dax symbiont.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
The first affiliation I ever won a Trek game with was Romulan. I took the "T" prefix that some of the personnel had and added my first name to it with an 's' at the end. This was also partially because I have always liked dinosaurs and T-Ricks sounded kind of like T-Rex. Now you also know why I have the little avatar I use.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
The first thing I ever wrote for the general Internet was the parody Five-Minute Star Trek: Armada. I was... 13? (You can tell.) At any rate, when my parody was accepted, I was told I needed to pick a handle.

I was very, very into the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at the time, and another contributor at the same site went by the handle Wonko the Sane. So I flipped through some of the more obscure passages of Life, The Universe, And Everything until I found an inspiration I liked: Wowbagger, the Infinitely Prolonged. I used this for a while on a few different Trek boards.

A few years later, I started finding services and message boards where the username Wowbagger was already in use. This annoyed me, because (1) I wanted my username, and (2) I didn't want to be confused with one of the Internet's other Wowbaggers. What if one of them said something racist and awful and some future employer pinned it on me?

At the time, I was a member of a modding group, Bridge Commander Scripters: The Next Generation. We made scripts for Star Trek: Bridge Commander. (Our finest work, BCS: The Beginning, was eventually incorporated into the definitive Kobayashi Maru mod, so if you play BC you've probably seen some of my stuff. But, also, we were children, so none of our work was really good.) So I figured, eh, I'll just add "BCS" to my name, so everyone knows I'm the Bridge Commander Scripter Wowbagger and not one of those other Wowbaggers.

Of course, BCS:TNG is long dead, but it did launch me into a programming career, and I've stuck with the username ever since. People keep asking me my opinion on college football (which apparently also has something to do with a BCS), though.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Mine comes from one of my other hobbies, horse racing. When I got to college and was looking for a good email address/internet handle, I went back to horse names from the early 90's and found one that sounded right.
Attachments:
Marquetry3_1_thumb.jpg
Marquetry3_1_thumb.jpg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 1866 times

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
From the time I was 12 until I graduated from college I bowled in weekly leagues. The local bowling alley at one point had a fighting game called BloodStorm that I got hooked on, and Razor was my favorite character. The F and L are initials of my home town, Forest Lake. Though I usually have it in all lower case and it runs together, if you asked me to pronounce it I say "F L Razor"

I used it as a nickname/gamertag for a while and eventually my first e-mail account. Since it was short but unique enough that it wasn't already used whenever I've had to sign up for new accounts as I got older it was just simpler to keep it consistent. Razor is also still my callsign for work with Virtual World Entertainment, like a fighter pilot's callsign in the military.
Attachments:
Razor-BS Select Screen
Razor-BS Select Screen
BloodStorm(Ver222)-04.png (56.16 KiB) Viewed 1842 times

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I was in my angsty early teen years when I started watching TNG and picked up STCCG. Armus seemed to fit my personality at the time (angry and alone), and It's stuck ( :roll: ) ever since.

If I were creating a brand new handle today I'd probably base it on a different Trek character, but since I've had it ever since I first created my account on the old Decipher boards 23 years ago, it's a part of me that I wouldn't want to change.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I have always been a fan of the TOS growing up, and when TNG came along, I was like wow! Never could get into DS9 but Voyager really blew me away. But it wasn't until Enterprise came along, that I really wanted to know how the federation came about and when I saw them using grappling hooks, not tracker beams, I was like "what?!"

I was a big fan of Subcommander T'Pol, because she was always part of the crew, but was not. I felt as playing the game, I was in, but not all the way in as I never had many people around who wanted to play.

But I liked her title so I made it mine! :)

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm so glad I started this thread. I'm really enjoying hearing the stories, even the simple ones (looking at you, Johnny :p).

Its very interesting to see how they formed based on different things from both inside and outside trek.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]