A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

What action should be taken on Rule #11 of the CoC.

None. It's is fine as worded.
53%
Actions should be taken to clarify it.
22%
Actions should be taken to make it stricter.
25%

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:
KillerB wrote:At the risk of making BenHosp feel dirty, I'd like to respond to the gentleman who watched the Hosp Report and kept making weird 'sharks in the water' remarks. I'll let somebody smarter then me explain what humor does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyWwuv1UkRg&t=29s
Since you're bragging about your intelligence again I'd like you opinion on it.
BLOODY HELL ! ! !

1) You clearly want me to believe that everything on the Hosp Show was ment as a cabaret.
2) Then you want me tutored so I understand what you see as humor in that link to Jordan Peterson.
3) And the first things he explained to me in the video is:

"There is some weak evidence that animals have a sense of humor. ... (struggles to find the right words) ... But the evidence isn´t great!"

I laughed my arse off!!! Hahaha, that was just so incredible.

I mean, come on! You must have had a reason why you linked a video in which "animals and their understanding of humor" was a big part of it AND exactly in the second he mentions animals. If the reason was to make me think you ment me being the animal (in a futile attempt to insult me in an elegant way) ... that one backfired in the first few seconds. Oh man, it backfired SO HARD ! ! !

Thank you John, that made my day.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote:I don’t think you’re actually laughing. You still seem kinda mad, tbh.
He clearly watched the first 30 seconds of the video. Shame.

Seriously, the Head Mod asked me to be part of a discussion about the CoC. The response from the other side, that feel strongly enough to participate, only replies in bad faith like Nerdo, or start claiming "YOU'RE A LIAR!".

I tried. They are angry for some reason and I don't fully understand why.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:He clearly watched the first 30 seconds of the video. Shame.
No worries, I watched the whole video. What you don´t get regarding "throwing jokes at their expense" is that people can take only a certain amount of those.
KillerB wrote:They are angry for some reason and I don't fully understand why.
A joke here and there is fine, but after a joke you shouldn´t be committed to play the joker all the time. That gets annoying and in some cases it even gets taken as an offense. People are very individual when it comes down to the amount of humor they can bear on their costs.

A clever person always considers that and tries to prevent the situation in which the other person starts to feel uncomfortable. Keep that in mind when you try to be funny.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Nerdopolis Prime wrote: A clever person always considers that and tries to prevent the situation in which the other person starts to feel uncomfortable. Keep that in mind when you try to be funny.
That is way too much of a generalization about "clever" people. Not all clever people are benevolent, and some would use their cleverness to actually elicit that discomfort.

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:
A joke here and there is fine, but after a joke you shouldn´t be committed to play the joker all the time. That gets annoying and in some cases it even gets taken as an offense. People are very individual when it comes down to the amount of humor they can bear on their costs.

A clever person always considers that and tries to prevent the situation in which the other person starts to feel uncomfortable. Keep that in mind when you try to be funny.
If I recall, on the Discard Pile Christmas Special, Ben mentioned you indirectly, so I can understand getting heated. However, you knew (and hoped, if you're honest with yourself) going into it there would talk about nerd drama. Ratings of the old Discard Pile were always up when there was drama.

Any Discard Pile or Hosp Report has an open invitation to anyone who wants to participate. I would always prefer to insult someone to their own face. And I promise, I never say anything behind somebody's back that I wouldn't say to their face. Now I understand people aren't like me, and wouldn't want to participate in an frank discussion where insults might get tossed around. To that I can only say, don't watch. Then maybe you won't hold grudges and take your anger on on message boards.
Last edited by KillerB on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
prylardurden wrote: That is way too much of a generalization about "clever" people. Not all clever people are benevolent, and some would use their cleverness to actually elicit that discomfort.
This goes to my theory that when most of these people watch movies they see themselves in the role of the hero. When in reality we would all most likely be the villain, or apologists for the villain.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
KillerB wrote:
bhosp wrote:I don’t think you’re actually laughing. You still seem kinda mad, tbh.
He clearly watched the first 30 seconds of the video. Shame.

Seriously, the Head Mod asked me to be part of a discussion about the CoC. The response from the other side, that feel strongly enough to participate, only replies in bad faith like Nerdo, or start claiming "YOU'RE A LIAR!".

I tried. They are angry for some reason and I don't fully understand why.
Well for you one you didn't actually try to participate in a discussion about the CoC.

You constantly lying, might be a factor....
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
KillerB wrote:
Latok wrote:
You constantly lying, might be a factor....
You must really be all out of CoC ammo. You usually present a better argument then this.
See my other response but you can change that usually to 'used to'. You've said when you go on 'nerd rampages' you always have an agenda. I see what you're agenda is and it isn't to change the CoC, if you do succeed I'm out again.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Latok wrote:You've said when you go on 'nerd rampages' you always have an agenda. I see what you're agenda is and it isn't to change the CoC, if you do succeed I'm out again.
The agenda is pretty obvious. Just stay and enjoy.
prylardurden wrote:
Nerdopolis Prime wrote: A clever person always considers that and tries to prevent the situation in which the other person starts to feel uncomfortable. Keep that in mind when you try to be funny.
That is way too much of a generalization about "clever" people. Not all clever people are benevolent, and some would use their cleverness to actually elicit that discomfort.
Yes, cruelness and intelligence are a dangerous combination.
KillerB wrote:If I recall, on the Discard Pile Christmas Special, Ben mentioned you indirectly, so I can understand getting heated.
To that I can only say, don't watch. Then maybe you won't hold grudges and take your anger on on message boards.
Yes I know Ben ment me, that was quite funny. Especially his facial expression after he realised I could take that as an insult.

As for the videos, I will watch them if I want and I will ignore them if I want. Also its funny how you try to put grudges and anger in my persona. Very sweet. Try again.

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
Latok wrote: See my other response but you can change that usually to 'used to'. You've said when you go on 'nerd rampages' you always have an agenda. I see what you're agenda is and it isn't to change the CoC, if you do succeed I'm out again.
I'm not the one nerd rampaging this time. Y'all are. I was trying to have discussion like Sykes' wanted.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
There aren´t many left to believe in that.

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
Mogor wrote:
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:There aren´t many left to believe in that.
:thumbsup:
The mistake you guys always make is thinking the 8-10 people who really hate my guts represent the entire community. You forget to account 10x of that number are people who actually play this game and know me.

I think I've successfully proven the past 48 hours that the 'stricter' CoC people don't have substantial arguments and are only fueled by personal vendettas.
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0