A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

What action should be taken on Rule #11 of the CoC.

None. It's is fine as worded.
53%
Actions should be taken to clarify it.
22%
Actions should be taken to make it stricter.
25%

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:
Mogor wrote:
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:There aren´t many left to believe in that.
:thumbsup:
The mistake you guys always make is thinking the 8-10 people who really hate my guts represent the entire community. You forget to account 10x of that number are people who actually play this game and know me.

I think I've successfully proven the past 48 hours that the 'stricter' CoC people don't have substantial arguments and are only fueled by personal vendettas.
Eh, some of the folks most clamoring for you to be gone, know you and actually think you are fine in person. You online on the other hand is a totally different story. The fact that you are claiming to have shown that shows me that you are out of touch with reality online and somehow think that you are some kind of white knight

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
Mogor wrote:
Eh, some of the folks most clamoring for you to be gone, know you and actually think you are fine in person. You online on the other hand is a totally different story. The fact that you are claiming to have shown that shows me that you are out of touch with reality online and somehow think that you are some kind of white knight
It is my desire to never be in touch with "reality online".

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:The mistake you guys always make is thinking the 8-10 people who really hate my guts represent the entire community. You forget to account 10x of that number are people who actually play this game and know me.
Wrong. Actually its you making the mistakes.
A) there are 8 OUT OF 10 people thinking your´re annoying, but DO NOT hate you. Thats only your own defense mechanism.
B) you think being nice offline gives you the right to behave completely differently online. I´ve heard that nice little excuse so often.
KillerB wrote:I think I've successfully proven the past 48 hours that the 'stricter' CoC people don't have substantial arguments and are only fueled by personal vendettas.
Yeah, only to yourself. There are lots of people who know its vice versa.
KillerB wrote:It is my desire to never be in touch with "reality online".
Discard the word online and I agree. You seem to be in a little cosy world where you are the only one who is innocent and every other person is after you. Enjoy your rainbow and unicorn party.

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
Nerdopolis Prime wrote: A) there are 8 OUT OF 10 people thinking your´re annoying, but DO NOT hate you. Thats only your own defense mechanism.
B) you think being nice offline gives you the right to behave completely differently online. I´ve heard that nice little excuse so often.
A) I'll concede even the people who like me find me annoying sometimes. You dudes have some old school nerd grudges going.
B) No, no, no more Jeykill/Hyde. In fact, TCM2 showed that under enough nerd pressure I can lose my cool and act like a fool.

I submit, I'm not the one different in person. I think people don't say the things in person they would say to me online. The few times (over the course of almost 20 years is super rare) people have stepped out of line IRL I've certainly haven't been a 'nice person'.

There's no CoC to shield people in real life. Yesterday, I was called a liar, drug addict and a pedophile. Let's not pretend those people would have the courage to say that to my face.
Last edited by KillerB on Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:I think people don't say the things in person they would say to me online.
Someone should have done that years ago. Unfortunately most people don´t want confrontations face to face. I don´t suffer that kind of dilemma.

I would have liked to offer you a drink and a talk in Vienna, but I know its senseless. What a shame.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:Will you actually talk about the CoC there or you still want to make this about me? I'll buy.
Everything that can be said about the CoC has been said.

Now its time for the people running this place to step up and make some decisions.

So wake up from your slumber and act accordingly to the information the community gave you ladies and gents.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:Hines, unlock the Fairness Poll. You're locking threads on the off-topic board for going off-topic. It looks like you're trying to shutdown discussion. Or, at the very least, seem overzealous again. Which you've banned people for calling you out on.
No, thats ok. The fight against spamming is a good thing.

:D :D :D

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
KillerB watched a video about Inappropriate Conduct yesterday at orientation.

After a fair number of comparisons to workplaces from people I have to say workplaces wouldn't tolerate any CoC nonsense. They lay down a general set of rules. Then, according to the video, if there's something in the workplace you think is inappropriate they tell you to:

1) talk to the person. Most time people will stop the behavior if simply asked.

2) If you're not comfortable with confrontation, go to a supervisor or HR person.

Then, from the examples of the video, that person handles the situation quietly. Or a team meeting addressing everyone in the office.

There's no callout culture that rewards the reporter (because normal people wouldn't enjoy having to go to a supervisor). There's no announcement to everyone, like there is on the Mod Notice board, calling out employees.

So this is my solution:

1. Everyone be professional.

2. Abolishing the CoC. Well, all the bullshit parts about the mods. The rest of it is a serviceable set of guidelines.

3. Fire every Mod. You don't need them.

4. Hire a Human Resource Manager. A board level position that is voted on every year.

5. How to handle problems: 1. PM that person you have a problem with. (And I'll concede that even a 'bystander' can take issue with inappropriate posts) 2. If you don't want to do that, PM the HR manager.

6. The HR manager deals with issues. They have the sole power to ban people who are unreasonable. They can handle things quietly. No need for nerd drama and Mod Court nonsense.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Just one suggested change: rather than making someone wade through PMs, we could get Mael to add some sort of automated way for issues to be tracked. Maybe a button on posts, so the "HR Manager" doesn't have to try and figure out which post the person is talking about, and there's a clean way to see which complaints have been dealt with already?

And rather than "HR Manager", we could use the terminology most websites (and thus, most web users) are already familiar with. Like, "moderator". And the person in charge of it could be.. I dunno, the "head moderator"?
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
KillerB wrote:KillerB watched a video about Inappropriate Conduct yesterday at orientation.

After a fair number of comparisons to workplaces from people I have to say workplaces wouldn't tolerate any CoC nonsense. They lay down a general set of rules. Then, according to the video, if there's something in the workplace you think is inappropriate they tell you to:

1) talk to the person. Most time people will stop the behavior if simply asked.

2) If you're not comfortable with confrontation, go to a supervisor or HR person.

Then, from the examples of the video, that person handles the situation quietly. Or a team meeting addressing everyone in the office.

There's no callout culture that rewards the reporter (because normal people wouldn't enjoy having to go to a supervisor). There's no announcement to everyone, like there is on the Mod Notice board, calling out employees.

So this is my solution:

1. Everyone be professional.

2. Abolishing the CoC. Well, all the bullshit parts about the mods. The rest of it is a serviceable set of guidelines.

3. Fire every Mod. You don't need them.

4. Hire a Human Resource Manager. A board level position that is voted on every year.

5. How to handle problems: 1. PM that person you have a problem with. (And I'll concede that even a 'bystander' can take issue with inappropriate posts) 2. If you don't want to do that, PM the HR manager.

6. The HR manager deals with issues. They have the sole power to ban people who are unreasonable. They can handle things quietly. No need for nerd drama and Mod Court nonsense.
This might not be the solution some are hoping for. No more appeals, just simple ban.
Anyone volunteering for a test ban?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
What this proposes is, like Allen said, essentially a head moderator with unlimited power and none of the protections of the appeals process or any other moderators to check him. It's what moderation looks like in Quark's Bar, only moreso.

I'm fine with that, but I think KillerB and his pals would find the results exceedingly unfavorable. Especially since my expectation would be that the first "HR Manager" would be Boffo97 (and rightly so).
NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]