A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
diver.jpg
diver.jpg (8.61 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
The use of self contained underwater breathing apparatus.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
edgeofhearing wrote:All hobbies can be nerd hobbies. You can get nerdy about anything.
Speaking of which, I highly recommend the Nerdette podcast.

https://www.wbez.org/shows/nerdette/b2c ... d6fd33722c

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:All hobbies can be nerd hobbies. You can get nerdy about anything.
:thumbsup:

The line between "sports fan" and "tabletop roleplayer" is faar thinner than they'd like you to think. I can bend your ear for a few minutes on the relative merits of different types and attachments for snowshoes... :)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
:thumbsup:

The line between "sports fan" and "tabletop roleplayer" is faar thinner than they'd like you to think.
Yeah I think that line is bridged by Fantasy Football and the like. They don't call it "D&D for jocks" for nothing...

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
If karaoke is considered non-nerd, there you go.

Otherwise, I'm doomed... :(

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:Cooking and Chess :wink:
I think chess may fall under the nerdy category, at least here in the States.
LOL. Where are the times in which guys like the big US star Bobby Fisher were real national heroes. I guess battles of the minds doesn´t count too much these days. :)

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
T-Ricks wrote:
diver.jpg
The use of self contained underwater breathing apparatus.
I wouldn't call it a hobby for myself, but I've done it some 10x, and whenever possible & feasible, I'll do it again. It's awesome, and I've wanted to do it since I saw The Abyss (and subsequently came to love every underwater / submarine adventure I came across).
I also support that statement. And it goes for all my former and current hobbies, for me. As, I expect, for most, here. :)
KillerB wrote:Sex. People under 25 are having less of it. Nerds.
There are not too many people under 25 here, it seems. Yet. (That last word could be interpreted in interesting ways, contextually. Unintended.) :)
Boffo97 wrote:If karaoke is considered non-nerd, there you go.
Otherwise, I'm doomed... :(
That, too, depends on how far you 'dive' into the details. I've met -- and there are -- musicians that are more nerdy with music, than we are with STCCG. (And that is by no means a bad thing, for either side.)

But, thinking of my own karaoke experiences, you might also still be safe on the non-nerd side there. 8)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I can't choose, myself. I've tried my hand at so many hobbies that they don't even fit in my 1e card's lore.

Here I name the most important ones.

Some of my (former) interests/hobbies not explicitly mentioned there, or in the above post (like use of SCUBA), are: I supose the having of hobbies is also a hobby. But it can become a collection of chores, as well. (I guess I'm doing it wrong.)

By Chewie (Adam Hegarty)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I play rugby when I can, but the body doesn't bounce back from full contact sport the way it used to and 2 nights a week training and all day Saturday for games doesn't make it so friendly for people with 2 kids under 3.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi Quinlay, welcome to this place. :)

If you like to tell us something about yourself, and/or your experiences with the game, you could do that here.
Personally, I think it's nice to know more about the forum residents. (You could read about me right above here, incidentally; and in the links in my signature and profile.)

People can help you with game questions in various threads, like this one.

Have fun! :cheersL:

Oh -- what kind of guitar and music do you play? Do you play solitary or within an ensemble or band?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
From the annals for nerdy hobbies, a certain Lord Timmons is visiting Chicago for some Pokémon Go action. Even the rain can’t dampen the spirits of House Timmons.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I like photos! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And I liked this topic. :thumbsup: Perhaps more people like to share their other hobbies? It's nice to get to know you better, other than your card preferences. :)

Since Jadzia bumped it recently, I've come to think of this again, and I must disqualify myself for each of my hobbies that I mentioned or linked to, except for the karaoke. Everything else, I do or did with reckless abandon nerdiness.

I mean, once a week I go to stables for (only) one hour of horseback riding, but still I felt compelled to read multiple books on the subject -- and scribble notes in them. Two of my compatriots in the riding class, when they borrowed my books, found that very... intriguing. Not to say peculiar. (Granted -- the notes were many.)

Hobbies can contain nerdiness (like any Trek-related hobby, or, say filatelism). But it's not just the hobby that can make it nerdy. I guess we all agree on that -- and I, personally, can do few things without them becoming nerdy. So, I guess the OP's question might become, "who here can periodically do things that they enjoy and which really interest them, without doing them in-depth, detailed and thoroughly?" :) And, is it even worth it, doing things in a non-nerdy way? 8) Well... come to think of it, yes. It would sometimes remain more relaxed and become less of a chore. :(

Well -- 'nuf 'bout me. What are YOUR hobbies? And (optional question!) do you approach them "nerdy", or "normally"?
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]