A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Mod Edit [Boffo97]: Split off from Video Games thread.

=====

EDIT: It seems like we're going to play ARK and Star Trek: Bridge Crew if we can get some more people interested.

Most likely, we'd be playing on the "The Island" map included on the base game of ARK. All you'd need to play is ARK: Survival Evolved on Steam (I don't know if there are non-Steam versions), and preferably a headset for communication and a decent connection.

Similarly, for ST:BC, the TNG DLC would not be required at this point.

=====
If anyone is interested, I would love to try to get together online an hour a week to play a co-op survival game.

If I had my pick, I'd pick Raft, but I also have ARK: Survivor Evolved (no DLC though) and 7 Days to Die. Probably others too. I have Conan: Exiles, but my computer isn't good enough to play it.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote:If anyone is interested, I would love to try to get together online an hour a week to play a co-op survival game.

If I had my pick, I'd pick Raft, but I also have ARK: Survivor Evolved (no DLC though) and 7 Days to Die. Probably others too. I have Conan: Exiles, but my computer isn't good enough to play it.
I have Ark and 7 days. Could be interesting.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I was just thinking that ARK is fairly universal at this point. I'd like to get at least 4 people, but don't think there's an upper limit.

Of course, if we get exactly four, Star Trek: Bridge Crew is also an option, given that VR is no longer necessary to play it and it supports platform cross play. And I remember you saying before you had it on PC. I have it on PS4.
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote:I was just thinking that ARK is fairly universal at this point. I'd like to get at least 4 people, but don't think there's an upper limit.

Of course, if we get exactly four, Star Trek: Bridge Crew is also an option, given that VR is no longer necessary to play it and it supports platform cross play. And I remember you saying before you had it on PC. I have it on PS4.
If we go Ark or similar, it's probably worth getting some hosting. (I think my subscription is doing Minecraft right now).

I do have Bridge Crew and would love to get some CC flights in.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I've only played Ark solo (which is lonely, but I fear random strangers messing up what I've built. I want FRIEND messing up what I've built!), so I don't know, but is the experience online that bad without hosting? As in so bad it's worth it even for an hour a week type affair?
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote:I've only played Ark solo (which is lonely, but I fear random strangers messing up what I've built. I want FRIEND messing up what I've built!), so I don't know, but is the experience online that bad without hosting? As in so bad it's worth it even for an hour a week type affair?
I was playing with my brother, and the person who's not hosting can get some nasty lag. So we went with hosting (plus, it means you're not tied to a specific person being online).

Looks like a 10-person Ark server is about $15 a month. If there's a few people interested, might not be too bad.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I have an ARK server, that I would be happy to configure/open up for folks 15 slots. Just let me know what folks are feeling like.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Sweet. Now we just have to get the interest going.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
BTW, Mogor, does this mean you are interested? Or just willing to let us use your connection?

If you are, then we probably have enough to start planning and more than decent room for anyone to join us after. I'm thinking the weekends are probably the best bet to schedule this, and I'm completely open.

Also, how would we handle in game communication? Is that built into ARK or would we need Discord running?
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
I have Bridge Crew for PC and have been waiting for a chance to play with a full crew.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Sweet. That means we're also one away from playing Star Trek: Bridge Crew with a full crew.

My PSN ID (and pretty much every other game ID out there) is Boffo97.
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Is that built into ARK or would we need Discord running?
I don't remember Ark having great voice chat, so we might as well use the CC discord. :)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
We might want to do that for Bridge Crew then too. I've heard voice chat isn't great there either and the problem is magnified cross platform.

Also, I had no idea the CC had a Discord.
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Also, I had no idea the CC had a Discord.
Yup, Pazuzu set it up at some point in the past: https://discord.gg/VusGxAS
Is Sedis a captain?

Sopek is a [Univ] Captain, and another fucking […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]