A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Fear the Walking Dead: I've been watching from the beginning. It's slow and some of the characters aren't that memorable, but once you get to the crossover, it's a whole new ballgame. If you're a Walking Dead fan, you probably only need to start watching at season 4. You miss some bits of Daniel being a badass, but just think Carol and you're good.

One of the complaints I heard from a player in my area is that all the shows are so repetitious. They meet another group. They don't get along. Someone cherished dies. They come together. They rise up. They win. Then...new group. For the most part I tend to agree, but I generally enjoy the spectacle. We watch plenty of movies with the same messages over and over again. I'm not against a show that repeats itself, especially if life going on is kind of the point.

I have not been as enthralled with World Beyond as WLC seems to have been (sorry, Conno), but the finale had some juice. I just didn't really care about all of the kid's secrets. I don't mind teen angst, but I'd much rather see them now that the secrets are all out. Dealing with it. The tension only stretches so far. Based on the finale, I'll probably give it a couple more episodes. Otherwise, it'll go the way of Black Lightning, which is now that it's wrapping up, I'll probably binge it. Waiting from week to week and finding the time for it doesn't seem worth it.

Queen's Gambit: I could honestly not tell you what hooked me so much with this show. Yes, I love chess, but it wasn't like they were letting you in on the play. (And thank Q; that would have dragged it down. You'd need something super simple like the ending to Searching for Bobby Fischer for the average audience to see it. We know what's happening on their board by their reactions. It's about the emotion, not the specifics.) Spoiler:
I really liked the concept that I think kind of encapsulates the exterior conflict where Bobby mentions that the Russians play as a team, making each other better, while the Americans play as individuals. In the last episode, when her opponent calls an adjournment one night, she notices the Russians going over the position together and she has to do her work alone. Then, all her friends help her out in the last match, giving her a rest. It's like the "on your left" moment in the show, giving her the breather right when she needed it.
I suppose the disconnect might be that there are several conflicts going on. Will she overcome her addictions? Will she beat the World Champion? Will she find love? Will she find purpose? And not all of them are kept in focus. She seems to be okay with the substance abuse. She makes consistent progress in her journey, rarely failing or falling short. She has men throwing themselves at her, but she seems sociopathic enough that it doesn't seem like a concern. Other concerns quickly rectify themselves or don't seem all that bad whenever she compares her life to others. But it's in those successes that she learns the most. People reveal themselves to her when she defeats them. And thus, the piece says something about the world.

I don't know. I might be making that all up right now. I still can't tell you why I was so hooked.

Lovecraft Country: So good! I loved that the story was kind of an excuse to tell a lot of different types of stories while always moving the pieces forward a little. As a result, the finale seemed a little less grand than it could have been if all the episodes didn't stand on their own, but that's the price. Spoilers:
Still, I loved the ending and my theory is that this is a prequel to The Shining. Or, more specifically, that Key and Peele sketch about the "shining."

My wife told me years ago that if someone were to play her in the story of her life, she wanted it to be Jurnee Smollett. I kind of see it...
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I like the trend in tv lately where they allow actors to look like real people. I was struck by this when I first saw Ruby and Hippolyta in LC. I wanted to cheer, honestly.

By MrVorlon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:00 pm I like the trend in tv lately where they allow actors to look like real people. I was struck by this when I first saw Ruby and Hippolyta in LC. I wanted to cheer, honestly.
I had to look up Hiippolyta to find out what LC is. That's not cool. Please use your words.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I'm sorry. I was just talking about Lovecraft Country in my previous post, so I thought it would be understood.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Guardian wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:13 pm Fear the Walking Dead: I've been watching from the beginning. It's slow and some of the characters aren't that memorable, but once you get to the crossover, it's a whole new ballgame. If you're a Walking Dead fan, you probably only need to start watching at season 4. You miss some bits of Daniel being a badass, but just think Carol and you're good.

One of the complaints I heard from a player in my area is that all the shows are so repetitious. They meet another group. They don't get along. Someone cherished dies. They come together. They rise up. They win. Then...new group. For the most part I tend to agree, but I generally enjoy the spectacle. We watch plenty of movies with the same messages over and over again. I'm not against a show that repeats itself, especially if life going on is kind of the point.

I have not been as enthralled with World Beyond as WLC seems to have been (sorry, Conno), but the finale had some juice. I just didn't really care about all of the kid's secrets. I don't mind teen angst, but I'd much rather see them now that the secrets are all out. Dealing with it. The tension only stretches so far. Based on the finale, I'll probably give it a couple more episodes. Otherwise, it'll go the way of Black Lightning, which is now that it's wrapping up, I'll probably binge it. Waiting from week to week and finding the time for it doesn't seem worth it.
Thanks for the insights! I think part of it is I didn't really get into FTWD at first, so at some point watched it while doing other stuff (browsing forums, playing Hearthstone :) ), so that doesn't help with the engagement. Good to know I should maybe focus more once I get to season 4 :D

By Andrew
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Just finished Raised by Wolves, and I'm not sure if I can recommend it.

It's from Ridley Scott, so you'll recognize a few elements. Androids that always seem a little bit off, and have white fluid for blood.
This time around the theme of motherhood is explore in a way that's even creepier than you'd expect.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation