A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
How did the most clueless guy prevail over a guy who could've brought continents together?

How did Ross Fertel become "director of second edition" over Andrey Larin?

I've raged against the machine big time back in the day. It happened anyway.
We were assured that it was just a "logistical" position. A position that "moves things along behind the curtain."
Now that guy is making decisions for the good of 2E. Hire and fire decisions. Decisions about the game we love, which he has no clue about.

Not only did we pick the most unqualified guy for the job but in the process we not only pissed on a qualified community member but pissed off an entire continent to an extent where organized play in that continent almost subsided entirely.

I guess #murica prevailed.

I'm utterly disappointed.

Maybe an unqualified american prevails over a qualified non-american in the trekcc world...
Gene Roddenberry would obviously not be proud...

How are we gonna right these wrongs...?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
monty42 wrote:How did the most clueless guy prevail over a guy who could've brought continents together?

We were assured that it was just a "logistical" position. A position that "moves things along behind the curtain."
Now that guy is making decisions for the good of 2E. Hire and fire decisions. Decisions about the game we love, which he has no clue about.

Not only did we pick the most unqualified guy for the job but in the process we not only pissed on a qualified community member but pissed off an entire continent to an extent where organized play in that continent almost subsided entirely.

Maybe an unqualified american prevails over a qualified non-american in the trekcc world...

Ask the 67% of the community who voted confidence in Ross.

Your complaint was stronger when his position was changed from administrative to leadership and he was just along for the ride. Now that the community has spoken, they've validated that move so it's not just CC shenanigans.

Your ire is best directed at that 67%.

Also, I'm not sure this is really a #murica thing. I shouldn't have to point out that Ross has his detractors on this continent as well.

But they're just a vocal minority, so feel free to ignore them.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Armus wrote:
monty42 wrote:How did the most clueless guy prevail over a guy who could've brought continents together?

Ask the 67% of the community who voted confidence in Ross.

Your complaint was stronger when his position was changed from administrative to leadership and he was just along for the ride. Now that the community has spoken, they've validated that move so it's not just CC shenanigans.

Your ire is best directed at that 67%.

Also, I'm not sure this is really a #murica thing. I shouldn't have to point out that Ross has his detractors on this continent as well.

But they're just a vocal minority, so feel free to ignore them.
You bring up some intersting points, none of which are valid to the questiones I've asked.
I'd like to know how Ross prevailed over Andrey, which has nothing to do with the recent vote of confidence.
Which is definitely a #murica thing.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
monty42 wrote:How did Ross Fertel become "director of second edition" over Andrey Larin?
This a fairly decent question but like Armus I don't really have an answer but I would speculate that a group of people firmed up his position through their, lets say, uncouth behaviour over the last few months.
monty42 wrote:Not only did we pick the most unqualified guy for the job but in the process we not only pissed on a qualified community member but pissed off an entire continent to an extent where organized play in that continent almost subsided entirely.
Huh?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Latok wrote:
monty42 wrote:Not only did we pick the most unqualified guy for the job but in the process we not only pissed on a qualified community member but pissed off an entire continent to an extent where organized play in that continent almost subsided entirely.
Huh?
"Continent" may have been my bad. I'm talking about russia. Organized play all but subsided in that region after the mentioned incident.
Last edited by monty42 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Also the CC could've established itself as an international brand that day. Instead they went for #murica!

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Latok wrote:
monty42 wrote:How did Ross Fertel become "director of second edition" over Andrey Larin?
This a fairly decent question but like Armus I don't really have an answer but I would speculate that a group of people firmed up his position through their, lets say, uncouth behaviour over the last few months.
We were trying to warn you.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:He won the vote, and seems like he's trying to do a good job. The past 2e leads went AWOL for long stretches of time. I say give the guy a break and re-evaluate next year.
Ross: 1
John: 0

TK

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
When people get to vote, you sometimes get results that don´t please you.

Downside of democracy???

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Nate, TK, Nerdo. I know he won the vote. I'm not happy about that but I can accept it. However this isn't even what my original post is all about. Please take two seconds and read it again.
I'm wondering how he got the job in the first place when clearly there was a more qualified candidate.
I'm glad things are changing around here. I'm hopeful that under Maggie's leadership things may change.
However there's no denying that we fucked over Australia and Russia to a point where these communities are all but gone and at least the russian one had little to do with the message boards.
As I said before, appointing a russian as 2E brand manager could have gone a long way...

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yes, Russia and Australia should come back. A tragedy they walked off in the first place.

I too hope Maggie will rock the CC and make some substantional changes.

All good things begin with good communication. So why don´t you make a new thread addressing the russian and australian players? Let them and us speak up and come to a solution which fits all expectations.

Best would be without any prejudices as I know how sensible the catastrophy in Australia was.

Even better would be a video with people able to be diplomatic instead of throwing in insults and predigested opinions. But still sticking to the core problems. Yes, its like walking a tightrope, but it would ease things down.

Basically the thread or video should show both sides´ point of view. Without mocking, but with intelligent arguments without (!!!!) leaving anything unmentioned, no matter how much it hurts.

Most of the time this is how you solve problems.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
bhosp wrote:
Latok wrote:
We were trying to warn you.
Yeah but I'm saying you were shit at it, if anything you pushed people in the opposite direction, not that it matters to me I didn't vote.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:When people get to vote, you sometimes get results that don´t please you.

Downside of democracy???
Yes, Ross’s position has been vindicated by an election. But we’re allowed to tell people we think they made the wrong choice.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:Yes, Russia and Australia should come back. A tragedy they walked off in the first place.

I too hope Maggie will rock the CC and make some substantional changes.

All good things begin with good communication. So why don´t you make a new thread addressing the russian and australian players? Let them and us speak up and come to a solution which fits all expectations.

Best would be without any prejudices as I know how sensible the catastrophy in Australia was.

Even better would be a video with people able to be diplomatic instead of throwing in insults and predigested opinions. But still sticking to the core problems. Yes, its like walking a tightrope, but it would ease things down.

Basically the thread or video should show both sides´ point of view. Without mocking, but with intelligent arguments without (!!!!) leaving anything unmentioned, no matter how much it hurts.

Most of the time this is how you solve problems.
What no one seems to understand is that there is a straight line running from the establishment of the CoC, through Aussie Worlds 2015, through Ross’s hiring, through Aussie Worlds 2018, through your “Ban John Corbett” campaign, through John’s firing, through the recent PoR/elections.

At all levels, from leadership down to “the people”, we have shown what is valued in this community. At all levels, genial bumbling is the key to acceptance, and pointing out the mistakes of genial bumblers gets one marginalized and rejected.

And at all times since their establishment, the mods have consistently reinforced this message, not so much through who they choose to sanction, but in who they choose to protect. Everyone insisted on misunderstanding the whole argument we recently had about whether the CoC was being enforced “fairly”, but (now that I’m unbanned and able to actually comment on it) it boils down to: imagine if “disparaging or belittling” John Corbett was punished the same way as “disparaging or belittling” the people I was banned for insulting.

@Brad are you Brad Snyder?

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its ef[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a di[…]

Capturing Related

Thank you for the explanation. It's speculative, b[…]