A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote:
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:When people get to vote, you sometimes get results that don´t please you.

Downside of democracy???
Yes, Ross’s position has been vindicated by an election. But we’re allowed to tell people we think they made the wrong choice.
Are we seriously campaigning for *next* year's POR already?

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
AllenGould wrote:Are we seriously campaigning for *next* year's POR already?
Let's ignore X's shortcomings, this is not POR time.
come POR time: That was so long ago, what's important is what X is doing now.

And yes, count me as another one who think that not getting Andrey aboard when they had the chance served on a silver plate is one of the biggest failures of the CC.
Last edited by Kaiser on Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Kaiser wrote:
AllenGould wrote:Are we seriously campaigning for *next* year's POR already?
Let's ignore X's shortcomings, this is not POR time.
come POR time: That was so long ago, what's important is what X is doing now.
People got to vote this year, he got a pretty solid pass. Next year people get to vote again. Let's not adopt the American system of starting the next campaign the day after the last vote, hey?

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
AllenGould wrote:People got to vote this year, he got a pretty solid pass. Next year people get to vote again. Let's not adopt the American system of starting the next campaign the day after the last vote, hey?
People voted, the result sees him confirmed, no problem with that. I just very much hope that he is asking himself why the heck everyone else is getting approval rates so much higher while he is 20 points behind, and doesn't brush it off lightly as the same old four guys stirring the pot.

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I've got no skin left in this game to lose, so fuck it.

I was one of the people that chose Ross for the job in the first place. It was intended as a project management role, and we chose someone with actual project management experience. I did not make a decision because it was an olive branch to any particular community or playgroup, I did not make a decision based on someone's ability to play a game, and I actually made it a point not to choose someone with close ties to the CC or a current role in the organization explicitly because of some people's insistence that only a small tight group of people would get considered - and we all openly knew the backlash that would cause. I still stand by my choice based on the criteria for the job, I can't speak for others who were involved. Roles have changed over time, and whether someone is still the best fit is up to the people to decide through the systems available.

It's easy to make it look like a conspiracy when you piss off enough people within a subsection of the community that they actually start to dislike you. That's not an organized plan, that's just a gut reaction when someone is tired of you. If the goal of CC leadership was to get rid of someone they could have done it a long time ago before anyone had a CoCor moderators to point at, and they did more than once. But, you know, the fiction of the organized conspiracy is so much more exciting and easy to rally people to that are also upset, dissatisfied, or want things their way.

The entitlement and complaints of those that can't have a game unless it's on their terms it is one of three reasons I walked away from my former position and dropped Trek as a priority in what hobby time I have to give. That's not one person, that's widespread, and that even extends to people within the CC at times too. Take no for an answer once in a while without taking it as a personal slight, or reconstructing it as an effort to attack you. Expect nothing more than what you are told to expect and accept that sometimes things change for reasons that have nothing to do with you.

No other community I have been involved with has so forcefully rejected simple fucking rules. I've personally watched people ejected and banned from gaming stores for less, and anyone that wants to claim that this is different and somehow the CC isn't an organization that can make and enforce it's own rules for membership is sadly mistaken. Terms of service exist everywhere, folks, and if you don't think so please try your luck and see how it plays out. The CC historically has the most lax enforcement I've encountered and we all get the benefit of history to allow us to have nearly unlimited chances as long as we don't stack infractions too fast.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Kaiser wrote:
AllenGould wrote:People got to vote this year, he got a pretty solid pass. Next year people get to vote again. Let's not adopt the American system of starting the next campaign the day after the last vote, hey?
People voted, the result sees him confirmed, no problem with that. I just very much hope that he is asking himself why the heck everyone else is getting approval rates so much higher while he is 20 points behind, and doesn't brush it off lightly as the same old four guys stirring the pot.
Because of the sheer number of hypocrites who seem to be in opposition to him, they say we'll never do thing x, then 2 weeks latter they do think x. Just like flazor I've drastically diminished my time spent on this hobby due to the number of fucking idiots who want their way or we'll burn the place down. Any other community would have hard banned them by now, its amazing how stupid we are

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Mogor wrote: Because of the sheer number of hypocrites who seem to be in opposition to him, they say we'll never do thing x, then 2 weeks latter they do think x. Just like flazor I've drastically diminished my time spent on this hobby due to the number of fucking idiots who want their way or we'll burn the place down. Any other community would have hard banned them by now, its amazing how stupid we are
Uhh the universal translator seems to be having trouble reconfiguring your lingual clicks and pops again.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
monty42 wrote:How did the most clueless guy prevail over a guy who could've brought continents together?

How did Ross Fertel become "director of second edition" over Andrey Larin?
I can't speak to this because I wasn't on the committee who selected Ross. I wasn't privy to the discussions or the interviews. Thank you, Jeremy for answering this question.

However, I can speak to the next part of the question.
monty42 wrote:Not only did we pick the most unqualified guy for the job but in the process we not only pissed on a qualified community member but pissed off an entire continent to an extent where organized play in that continent almost subsided entirely.

How are we gonna right these wrongs...?
As I mentioned in the Omnibus Period of Review, I will take the blame for alienating Andrey after the selection of Ross. I promised that I would follow up with him on those issues, and then I did not. I have no explanation for why that happened. I have apologized to him publicly in the PoR broadcast and by PM, but he has not viewed it since I sent it. If you are in contact with him, please ask him to check his PMs. It's up to him if he wishes to respond or not, and I can understand if he is done here.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
I don't know what more there is to say. We've been through this several times and little progress is being made. I've specifically encouraged and included geography as a criteria for projects to get more involvement. Not just that, but I reached out to Andrey on a special project shortly after our kerfuffle and gave him the go-ahead on another project of his own design.

If there's something specific you want to discuss, I'mm all for it, but I'm not interested in re-litigating.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Kaiser wrote:
I would just like to point out that as of the Hosp Report Kenghazi investigation, I was not one of those “stirring the pot guys”, and was referring to them dismissively as “the ‘fuck the CC’ crowd”.

Over the past few months, you’ve seen Ross’s leadership completely alienate me out here in real time. I doubt he’ll improve significantly, but I do hope I’m wrong.

By Cersan
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Russian National Second Runner-Up 2016
This post is long time overdue. A year has passed since I logged in my account.
First of all, I want to apollogise to Ross, Maggie, also to Ben, Nick and Lucas for dissappearing the way I did. It was hard time for me psycologically, I was going through devorce, my ex-wife and son moving to another country. It was tough.
War games project was my child and I really wanted it to see the sun, but I overestimated the commitement it required. And I haven't got the guts to deal with it that time. Honestly, I hated latest expansions and the way the game was going, I was burned out with real life and the situation around Ross' appointment, and wasn't playing the game that often. So when I couldn't remeber my account password after mandatory change, I have decided just to quit. It wasn't right and honest, so I apollogise.

Second of all, despite some very questionable decisions on Ross' side before and after my departure from the game, I must say that I hold no grudge towards him or Maggie. They were honest and direct with me and for sure are not the reason Delphic Expanse no longer exists. Every group have players that organise and lead the local community. For our group that was me and Oleg, and for different personal and game related reasons we moved on to other hobbies and games. Nick tried to pick up the torch, but there was just not enough old players and commitent to find new ones. So Delpic Expanse ceased to exist.

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi Cersan.

First of all, please don´t apologize for hard times in real life. Such things are always more important than a hobby. I´m sorry that happened to you and that it ended so hard. I have some friends which are divorced and know about the struggles. But none of them has his ex wife and children living in another country, so I won´t pretend to know how you feel. I just want to say I´m sorry for what happened to you.

Its hard to put that aside and talk about hobbies now, so I won´t try. I just would like to mention that some of my friends found a hold in hobbies and their communities who gave them strength. I sincerely hope it can work out for you too, as it did for some of my friends.

All the best to you, and please stay strong. If not for anybody but just for yourself.

Cheers

Nerdo

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Cersan wrote:This post is long time overdue. A year has passed since I logged in my account.
First of all, I want to apollogise to Ross, Maggie, also to Ben, Nick and Lucas for dissappearing the way I did. It was hard time for me psycologically, I was going through devorce, my ex-wife and son moving to another country. It was tough.
War games project was my child and I really wanted it to see the sun, but I overestimated the commitement it required. And I haven't got the guts to deal with it that time. Honestly, I hated latest expansions and the way the game was going, I was burned out with real life and the situation around Ross' appointment, and wasn't playing the game that often. So when I couldn't remeber my account password after mandatory change, I have decided just to quit. It wasn't right and honest, so I apollogise.

Second of all, despite some very questionable decisions on Ross' side before and after my departure from the game, I must say that I hold no grudge towards him or Maggie. They were honest and direct with me and for sure are not the reason Delphic Expanse no longer exists. Every group have players that organise and lead the local community. For our group that was me and Oleg, and for different personal and game related reasons we moved on to other hobbies and games. Nick tried to pick up the torch, but there was just not enough old players and commitent to find new ones. So Delpic Expanse ceased to exist.
Ouch, I'm sorry man. Divorce is always killer no matter the circumstances

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]