A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Greetings all,

Mother nature is slowly releasing it's grip and this bitter winter is coming to an end up here in Canada...hopefully. I think I lost a neighbour in one of the 8ft snowbanks in my driveway. Hopefully, he'll be OK when he and it thaw out. Given that spring is just around the corner, it is time for me to get my butt in gear.

For the past 7 years, I have participated in the Multiple Sclerosis Ride for a Cure event. This is a series of events across Canada that take cyclists on different paths throughout our country, while raising money for the foundation. In the Ottawa area, some 600+ riders start at the Metcalfe Arena and end up at the NAV Centre in Cornwall, 100km away.

I started doing this event with a friend just for something to do. I had no knowledge of anyone in my personal life suffering from MS. As it turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong. While there is still no one in my direct circle, I have come to learn of quite a few people, in my extended circle, who have friends or family members with MS. For those of you who don't know, Multiple Sclerosis is a disease that attacks your nervous system with mild symptoms like blurred vision or numbness ... or much more serious ones like muscle spasms and lack of/no mobility, resulting in being wheelchair bound. It is an awful disease and my heart goes out to those that suffer from it. And so, this is my small way of helping the MS Society find a cure for this disease.

In order to do that, they need money. During my involvement with this event, I have managed to raise over $3800. It has come to that time of year, once again, where I am beginning my fund raising for this year's ride. Please consider a donation of any size. As they say, every bit counts. With all your help, perhaps a cure for MS is right around the corner. If my impassioned speech has swayed you, please click on the link below. Merely enter my name (Chad Cawlishaw) in the search fields and follow the rest of the prompts.
http://mssoc.convio.net/site/TR/BikeTou ... 0&pg=pfind

Keep in mind, 100% of the donations to go the MS Society.

I will, once again, be part of the Fluoriders cycling team, sponsored by my good friend and Ottawa dentist, Dan Hwang @ Westboro Station Dental. Our ranks have ebbed and flowed over the years. We started with 6 riders in our inaugural ride and two years ago, we had 21. Last year, after a pretty good summer of training, I managed a decent time of 3hrs 33minutes. Not bad for an old fella.

In any event, I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this message. If you have made it this far, I applaud you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you very much,
Chad

PS. This not related to anything CC. This is a 100% personal driven initiative.
Last edited by Se7enofMine on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Good for you for doing this, Chad. And may I say that 3.5 hours for a metric century is incredible!

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:Good for you for doing this, Chad. And may I say that 3.5 hours for a metric century is incredible!

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
Thanks Maggie :D I figure it helps raise some money for a good cause and forces me to get off my lazy ass.

As for the time, oddly enough, that was my fastest time in the years I have been doing it. The group of 4 I was with were averaging ~28km/h or so. Our fastest clip was a sustained burst of about 37km/h for about 8 straight kms. To be fair, there was a hill and some good tailwind but still. For a bunch of old dudes, it was pretty fantastic.

I really want to try and get to around 3hrs 15 min this year. But it'll be tough.

Anywho, thank you again :)

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:I have donated; I wish I could donate more, but I've given what I can. Thank you so much for doing this.

-crp
Thank you Charlie. Very much appreciated. Every bit counts. I would have been happy with $5 so anything more is fantastic.

:thumbsup: :cheersL:

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Goood afternoon :)

Just a wee update.

The MS Ride was this past weekend and here is my report.

With the weather not co-operating (rain and fairly high humidity), the first 35km or so were pretty hard to get through. However, the weather cleared up and the rest of the day was great.

After last year's time of 100km in 3h27min or so, I was a bit off the pace this year. But, I pulled off the 100km in 4h13min. So I didnt hit my desired time of 3h15min .. I blame the humidity (jeeebus it was awful).

Post-event, much beer and ice cream was taken in while sharing laughs with the other 650 riders.

On the fund raising side, I managed to raise $580 this year, marking my highest amount to date. So, I'd like to thank Charlie and Maggie for doing me a solid and helping support me. I truly appreciate it very very much.

To next year :)

Thanks again :)
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0