A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
bhosp wrote: I was under the impression that That Guy was Stan Lee...
The version I heard is that the culprit was Ike Perlmutter (and to a lesser extent the "Marvel Creative Committee"), but there's a lot of varying reports about exactly whose fault what was. The only real known is that after they restructured so that Feige didn't report to Perlmutter anymore (and the Creative Committee was disbanded), you started getting movies like Ragnarok and Black Panther and Captain Marvel, so obviously something good happened.
I'm not saying it couldn't have been Stan, but I mean the guy did create 34+ famous female characters...soooo I'm going to say probably not.

~D
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
HoodieDM wrote: I'm not saying it couldn't have been Stan, but I mean the guy did create 34+ famous female characters...soooo I'm going to say probably not.
Also, Stan stopped being in charge of Marvel back in the 90s, so it's safe to assume he wasn't making movie decisions two decades later. ;)
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
bhosp wrote:
Fritzinger wrote:So I came out thinking "Wonder Woman was good enough to be Marvel, Captain Marvel was bad enough to be DC"... But my wife convinced me that I might have missed some things so I'm going to see it again. Maybe.
This is a good take, but you’re either being too harsh on Captain Marvel or too generous to DC. I gave Captain Marvel a C+, and I meant it: a slightly-better-than-average passing grade. There aren’t any Marvel movies that are worse than a D+, and I can’t think of an example of one that’s worse than a C+ off the top of my head. (Thor 2? But I barely remember it so how bad could it be?)
Well I guess this would be a good DC movie, and in some ways better than WW (no need to make sure there's a hewmon male in every shot) but in terms of a twist that they didn't do a good job of selling, every bit DC.
But the Mar-Vell/Marvel thing is the same issue as “isn’t she kind of a Mary Sue?” Yeah, it’s dumb, but take it up with Stan Lee.
Mar-Vell is unavoidable, it's kind of fun (thanks Stan, RIP). I'm complaining about the scene where Nick Fury says "Marvel makes more sense". Just that little bit too far.
(Again, I remain shocked by the restraint of not even implying any romantic interest between Carol and Nick Fury.)
True dat.
 -  
Community Contributor
Fritzinger wrote:
But the Mar-Vell/Marvel thing is the same issue as “isn’t she kind of a Mary Sue?” Yeah, it’s dumb, but take it up with Stan Lee.
Mar-Vell is unavoidable, it's kind of fun (thanks Stan, RIP). I'm complaining about the scene where Nick Fury says "Marvel makes more sense". Just that little bit too far.
I thought they were just lampshading and playing around with the fact that it's the character with the name of the company. (And the frankly wacky history of why there's two Captain Marvels, the lawsuits, and the fact that the most notable contribution of the various Mr. Captain Marvels is everything *but* the titular hero.)

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:I thought they were just lampshading and playing around with the fact that it's the character with the name of the company. (And the frankly wacky history of why there's two Captain Marvels, the lawsuits, and the fact that the most notable contribution of the various Mr. Captain Marvels is everything *but* the titular hero.)
Especially when both the Captain Marvel movie, and the Shazam (née Captain Marvel) movie are coming out within a month of each other. ;-)
 -  
Community Contributor
Maelwys wrote:
AllenGould wrote:I thought they were just lampshading and playing around with the fact that it's the character with the name of the company. (And the frankly wacky history of why there's two Captain Marvels, the lawsuits, and the fact that the most notable contribution of the various Mr. Captain Marvels is everything *but* the titular hero.)
Especially when both the Captain Marvel movie, and the Shazam (née Captain Marvel) movie are coming out within a month of each other. ;-)
Heck, our theatre showed Shazam as a preview. (The other movie the kid wants to see)

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
HoodieDM wrote: I'm not saying it couldn't have been Stan, but I mean the guy did create 34+ famous female characters...soooo I'm going to say probably not.
Also, Stan stopped being in charge of Marvel back in the 90s, so it's safe to assume he wasn't making movie decisions two decades later. ;)
It’s very possible that I was only under that impression because I’m a confused old man, and also the eternal principle that if you need to find someone to blame for your mistakes, it might was well be the guy who just died.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
HoodieDM wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
bhosp wrote: I was under the impression that That Guy was Stan Lee...
The version I heard is that the culprit was Ike Perlmutter (and to a lesser extent the "Marvel Creative Committee"), but there's a lot of varying reports about exactly whose fault what was. The only real known is that after they restructured so that Feige didn't report to Perlmutter anymore (and the Creative Committee was disbanded), you started getting movies like Ragnarok and Black Panther and Captain Marvel, so obviously something good happened.
I'm not saying it couldn't have been Stan, but I mean the guy did create 34+ famous female characters...soooo I'm going to say probably not.

~D
I was gonna say 34 is probably an overestimate but then I remembered “oh yeah the X-men, regardless of bad decisions about their movie rights.”

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Fury sure does love that dumb cat though.

I’ve known people that have total asshole cats like that and that dynamic where it literally blinds him in one eye and he’s like “you know what, cat, you’re right, my bad” is totally how people with asshole cats act.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote:Fury sure does love that dumb cat though.

I’ve known people that have total asshole cats like that and that dynamic where it literally blinds him in one eye and he’s like “you know what, cat, you’re right, my bad” is totally how people with asshole cats act.
I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said: “My dog is a Republican.” I wondered what that meant at first, then I remembered your dog.
 -  
Community Contributor

Guess they felt the need to really nail home the reference to Winter Soldier.

Meanwhile, saw an interview with the current writers on Marvel, and they had a comparison between her and Cap America that I really liked. Both are Chumbawumbas, but Steve Rogers keeps getting back up because it's the right thing to do, while Carol keeps getting up because FU that's why.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
bhosp wrote:I am aware some people liked 2016 Ghostbusters. Some days I even believe it, but I dont understand it. I am also aware that aesthetic preferences are immune to reason or debate.
Probably because it was New Years Eve, late at night and I had been drinking. Now I'm scared to re-watch.

So, I just took the kids to see Captain Marvel. I had a grand time, which was worth the $6 Saturday morning ticket. Re-reading through the thread, it seems like Sean and I are on the same page here for the most part.
Iron Prime wrote:I would say most of the critiques in this thread are fair. They took the 90's nostalgia right up to the limit but I'm not sure if they gave us one-too-many or not.
"I'm Just a Girl" may have been a little too on the nose.

Personally, I wasn't too bothered by the 90s references. I really enjoy watching period pieces and I went into this film with that mindset. The difference between most period pieces and this one was that I lived through that period, so I knew all the references. (Side note: is this one of the first big films to do 90s call-backs?) As a counter-argument, I would say that Stranger Things is waaaaaay heavier-handed on the 80s kitsch than this film ever was.

In that vein, things I enjoyed:
[*]Stan Lee rehearsing his lines for Mallrats ("Stan Lee? Stan Lee?!? Stan Lee is coming to MY Mall I didn't hear about it?!?")
[*]The NIN shirt (have multiple of those)
[*]The stolen motorcycle because *points down to sig line*
[*]Learning that "Celebrity Skin" by Hole was written by one William Corgan

Swing and a miss:
[*]Carol Danvers would not have recognized "Come As You Are" because she left Earth in 1989 and that song came out in 1991.
[*]No Breeders? Denied!
bosskamiura wrote:the little girl who plays Monica Rambeau
She was great! It's so hard to cast kids. I also thought the little girl who played Cassie in "Ant Man and Wasp" was pretty good.
bhosp wrote:BIG PLOT HOLE

how did the repurposed military aircraft retrofitted with an experimental light speed engine take off without a magic carpet ride ocd?

no way that would’ve worked
*chuckle*
AllenGould wrote:

Guess they felt the need to really nail home the reference to Winter Soldier.

Meanwhile, saw an interview with the current writers on Marvel, and they had a comparison between her and Cap America that I really liked. Both are Chumbawumbas, but Steve Rogers keeps getting back up because it's the right thing to do, while Carol keeps getting up because FU that's why.
I got all the feels when the little Carols all stood up to fight back. For me, a woman who spends every moment of her life doing things that are considered "men's jobs" or "men's hobbies," watching little Carol fight it out with the guys and win was thoroughly satisfying. I don't care if that makes her a Mary Sue.

But then again, I cry at pretty much every movie I go to see, so there is that.

Also, I assumed that Nick Fury paging someone at the end of Infinity War was a callback to something I had forgotten in a previous MCU movie. (They kind of run together in my mind for the most part.) I was reassured as soon as the modded pager showed up that I hadn't lost my mind completely (at least not in this sense).
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: [*]Carol Danvers would not have recognized "Come As You Are" because she left Earth in 1989 and that song came out in 1991.=
Obviously this will come up as a plot point in a future movie, where a Kree will be humming an old folk song with that melody. :)

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:
Iron Prime wrote:I would say most of the critiques in this thread are fair. They took the 90's nostalgia right up to the limit but I'm not sure if they gave us one-too-many or not.
"I'm Just a Girl" may have been a little too on the nose.

Personally, I wasn't too bothered by the 90s references. I really enjoy watching period pieces and I went into this film with that mindset. The difference between most period pieces and this one was that I lived through that period, so I knew all the references. (Side note: is this one of the first big films to do 90s call-backs?) As a counter-argument, I would say that Stranger Things is waaaaaay heavier-handed on the 80s kitsch than this film ever was.

In that vein, things I enjoyed:
[*]Stan Lee rehearsing his lines for Mallrats ("Stan Lee? Stan Lee?!? Stan Lee is coming to MY Mall I didn't hear about it?!?")
[*]The NIN shirt (have multiple of those)
[*]The stolen motorcycle because *points down to sig line*
[*]Learning that "Celebrity Skin" by Hole was written by one William Corgan

Swing and a miss:
[*]Carol Danvers would not have recognized "Come As You Are" because she left Earth in 1989 and that song came out in 1991.
[*]No Breeders? Denied!
Unless they showed teenagers wearing "co-ed naked" shirts or a group of goth teens with long wallet chains they didn't cross the lines. If anything, bc they didn't include the dial up "gadong gadong kkkssscchhhhh" sound while she was in the internet cafe, they didn't go far enough.
HumQ: Pick of the Tribbles

It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through th[…]

I guess we should have done "What can we […]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to another one of my homies, @seve[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35