A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:I wonder why they didn't call this Mary Sue: The Movie?
Well that was always going to happen when they made a Captain Marvel movie.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
bhosp wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:I wonder why they didn't call this Mary Sue: The Movie?
Well that was always going to happen when they made a Captain Marvel movie.
It didn't with Thor. Though, admittedly, they did have to make him lose powers. Or Hulk. Though he is his own drawback.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
If anything they had to tone Carol’s power level down a little bit from the comics. Yes I’m aware that I’m saying that about a movie where she kills a spaceship by punching it.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
EVERYBODY'S MAD THAT CAPTAIN MARVEL DOESN'T HAVE BALLS!
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
So I came out thinking "Wonder Woman was good enough to be Marvel, Captain Marvel was bad enough to be DC"... But my wife convinced me that I might have missed some things so I'm going to see it again. Maybe.

There was a lot of "i can tell this is supposed to be important but the movie sure didn't help me understand / believe why". Like Hayden Christiansen's whining eventually driving him to mass child slaughter or Snape turning out to be the Half Blood Prince or every DC movie.

I found it difficult to believe Phil's mutiny, or suddenly trust the skrull (If they're so down and out why are they invading places and why do they have a big ass spaceship filled with warriors?)

Superhero movies used to all be full of why do I care moments but then Marvel proved that it can be done right. Over and over and over. So how the hell did they stuff this one up?

Anyway, Brie Larson seems like a good actress with some quirky different mannerisms. I appreciated the 90s quirks, the story had some elements that made this an actual woman's story (not just woman playing a man), and the Marvel salutes. Maybe with the exception of the Marvel vs Mar-Vell that was just too far past the 4th wall.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote:So I came out thinking "Wonder Woman was good enough to be Marvel, Captain Marvel was bad enough to be DC"... But my wife convinced me that I might have missed some things so I'm going to see it again. Maybe.
This is a good take, but you’re either being too harsh on Captain Marvel or too generous to DC. I gave Captain Marvel a C+, and I meant it: a slightly-better-than-average passing grade. There aren’t any Marvel movies that are worse than a D+, and I can’t think of an example of one that’s worse than a C+ off the top of my head. (Thor 2? But I barely remember it so how bad could it be?)

Meanwhile Wonder Woman was so unusually good for DC that I still haven’t seen Justice League because I don’t want them to rub DCEU nonsense all over my beautiful Amazon lunatic idiot. (Diana’s one weakness is that she’s kinda dumb, which is good for the character, saves her from being a Mary Sue, same dynamic as Pike being kinda dumb on Discovery.)
Anyway, Brie Larson seems like a good actress with some quirky different mannerisms. I appreciated the 90s quirks, the story had some elements that made this an actual woman's story (not just woman playing a man), and the Marvel salutes. Maybe with the exception of the Marvel vs Mar-Vell that was just too far past the 4th wall.
Good call on “this is actually the story of a woman” which is often missing from genre fiction. (I’m not sure even Ripley really counts as not “a woman playing a man”.)

But the Mar-Vell/Marvel thing is the same issue as “isn’t she kind of a Mary Sue?” Yeah, it’s dumb, but take it up with Stan Lee.

(Again, I remain shocked by the restraint of not even implying any romantic interest between Carol and Nick Fury.)

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I enjoyed it. Can't pick between giving it a C+ and a B-. I would say most of the critiques in this thread are fair. They took the 90's nostalgia right up to the limit but I'm not sure if they gave us one-too-many or not. I'll have to see it a second time (probably when the blu-ray releases)

Personally I'm thinking she'll be a character that excels as part of the larger ensemble movies but struggles a little bit in movies of her own. Iron Man and Thor can fall in this boat as well. We'll see...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Iron Prime wrote:I enjoyed it. Can't pick between giving it a C+ and a B-. I would say most of the critiques in this thread are fair. They took the 90's nostalgia right up to the limit but I'm not sure if they gave us one-too-many or not. I'll have to see it a second time (probably when the blu-ray releases)

Personally I'm thinking she'll be a character that excels as part of the larger ensemble movies but struggles a little bit in movies of her own. Iron Man and Thor can fall in this boat as well. We'll see...
Personally I thought Iron Man was amazing.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Iron Prime wrote:I enjoyed it. Can't pick between giving it a C+ and a B-. I would say most of the critiques in this thread are fair. They took the 90's nostalgia right up to the limit but I'm not sure if they gave us one-too-many or not. I'll have to see it a second time (probably when the blu-ray releases)

Personally I thought Iron Man was amazing.
#1 is fantastic, but if I'm honest with myself #2 and #3 are lacking (good, fun, but lacking). Iron Man has been my favorite for a long time! (since the late 80s or very early 90s)
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Iron Prime wrote: Personally I'm thinking she'll be a character that excels as part of the larger ensemble movies but struggles a little bit in movies of her own. Iron Man and Thor can fall in this boat as well. We'll see...
Surprised you didn't go with Hulk as the poster child for "great supporting character, can't carry a movie on their own" (look at how many times Marvel has *tried*!)

We just got back from the theatre, and I think I can sum it up thusly:
The gents in our group thought it was a pretty good movie.
The ladies in our group thought it was a really good movie.
The 12-year-old girl was bouncing in her chair the whole time and thought it was AMAZING.

So, I'd say that it's hitting the audience it was aimed at. :thumbsup:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Iron Prime wrote: Personally I'm thinking she'll be a character that excels as part of the larger ensemble movies but struggles a little bit in movies of her own. Iron Man and Thor can fall in this boat as well. We'll see...
Surprised you didn't go with Hulk as the poster child for "great supporting character, can't carry a movie on their own" (look at how many times Marvel has *tried*!)
We just got back from the theatre, and I think I can sum it up thusly:
The gents in our group thought it was a pretty good movie.
The ladies in our group thought it was a really good movie.
The 12-year-old girl was bouncing in her chair the whole time and thought it was AMAZING.

So, I'd say that it's hitting the audience it was aimed at. :thumbsup:
I thought about it but I decided:
A) Iron Man and Thor were more popular - making more of a point, and
B) They have come right out and said they were having trouble with Hulk movies and this his "new movie" would be told in thirds during Infinity War, Ragnarok, and End game. (so this made it feel like a Hulk example would need an asterisk)

I'm basing item B on the 4:29 mark of this.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Iron Prime wrote: B) They have come right out and said they were having trouble with Hulk movies and this his "new movie" would be told in thirds during Infinity War, Ragnarok, and End game.
But that's pretty much exactly what you're proposing ;)

Personally, I think Brie Larson can carry a movie - she's just not going to be fighting HYDRA. The one thing Marvel does well is keep their various heroes in their own tiers* - you don't see the Guardians or Doctor Strange doing street patrols, and you don't see Daredevil fighting cosmic horrors. (Or for a recent example, how they made sure Thor and Hulk were AWOL for Civil War, or the classical "why doesn't Steve call Thor for some backup during Winter Soldier?"). Her comics are out in space (the last ones I saw had her running Alpha Flight from an orbiting station), so the threats will scale to the power level.

* except for the Writer's Pets, like Spidey and Wolverine - then they just show up everywhere.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I do appreciate the hero tiering. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that Hulk doesn't seem to work in his own movie but other heros work in their own movie but work better as part of larger cast.

I guess we'll know for sure (hopefully) in a month and a half. Either way I'm sure I'll buy the blu-ray when it comes out... :D
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]

@Brad are you Brad Snyder?

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its ef[…]

Capturing Related

Thank you for the explanation. It's speculative, b[…]