A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I stumbled on this article this morning. It gave a nice, simple run-down of family-friendly board games. I had heard of some of them, but not all. It also reminded me that I really do need to make the kids turn off their screens and sit at the table more often.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Out of the list there, I'd vouch for Century as a proper "good for kids" game. 7 Wonders and Catan might be OK with the right group.

I'd point folks to the coop games for kids, myself. Pandemic is the obvious choice, but I'd recommend Flash Point over it (replace "disease" with "fire", add multiple choices of maps, and a handful of rules changes that improve gameplay - banking extra actions, for instance).

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:Out of the list there, I'd vouch for Century as a proper "good for kids" game. 7 Wonders and Catan might be OK with the right group.

I'd point folks to the coop games for kids, myself. Pandemic is the obvious choice, but I'd recommend Flash Point over it (replace "disease" with "fire", add multiple choices of maps, and a handful of rules changes that improve gameplay - banking extra actions, for instance).
I've found that my older two really enjoy Catan Junior. Less complicated, faster paced, and nobody steals your stuff.
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: I've found that my older two really enjoy Catan Junior. Less complicated, faster paced, and nobody steals your stuff.
Catan Original is still pretty solid - we just had a bad experience where one of our group qualified for Worlds and things got UBER-COMPETITIVE for a few months, and it burned us out pretty hard. Not quite as bad for 7 Wonders, but both are games that can suffer from "You're not playing optimally and it's messing me up" syndrome.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
Armus wrote: I've found that my older two really enjoy Catan Junior. Less complicated, faster paced, and nobody steals your stuff.
Catan Original is still pretty solid - we just had a bad experience where one of our group qualified for Worlds and things got UBER-COMPETITIVE for a few months, and it burned us out pretty hard. Not quite as bad for 7 Wonders, but both are games that can suffer from "You're not playing optimally and it's messing me up" syndrome.
Dear God why would you subject your kids to World Championship level prep games? That's crazy town.

I know they don't play optimally, but part of the fun is learning from experience and growing as a player.
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Dear God why would you subject your kids to World Championship level prep games? That's crazy town.
Oh sorry - there's a time skip there. WC prep was pre-kids, but none of the adults want much to do with Catan because of it (only one player was prepping, was the worst of it). So the kids haven't experienced much because (a) even 10-ish years later we're still a bit sour, and (b) you can't really un-learn Optimum Catan Play. (Also, Catan isn't nearly as "random" as people think - there absolutely is optimum on-board play, and then the rest is just social engineering.)

edit: also, out of the three family members in my home, the kid *easily* is the one with the best competitive reputation at the local boardgaming con.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I would recommend Stuffed Fables as a fun one to play with children that even has a progressive story.

Also King of Tokyo, because it's fun to just smash things.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]