A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Those 3 hours went by fast! Such a blast to watch the movie, thoroughly enjoyed it.

To be honest, I did not really care for Infinity Gauntlet. It was decent, and I'm happy I saw it, but felt it was a bit much and over the top. Endgame, to me, does a way better job in concentrating on the awesome story and keeping it together, while combining a lot of threads and stories making it an (almost) perfect ending to what the Marvel cinematic universe build up to.

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Good, exceeded my expectations. Pretty much all things it set out to be. If you liked the last 10 years of MCU then you're gonna like this.

Some spoiler thoughts...
I went into it saying, like many, if it's just time travel then I'm gonna be disappointed. However, the way they set it up wasn't so bad, I was basically sold.

Having both the gauntlet and time travel, .... You can think of many "why didn't they just do this" things.

History has been messed up tonnes now, particularly the last 7 years. I know they kinda hand waved that time travel doesn't work like in the movies... But the Ancient One's description sounded like fractured timelines.

Ant Man and the Avengers can time travel any time they want now.

Cap returning the soul stone to Red Skull must have been awkward.

Thanos's double sword was arbitrarily more powerful than Stormbringer?

This is something a friend mentioned --- Did you think when you were a kid that Thanos would ever become a mainstream pop culture household name?

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
#FatThorRules
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Yup, pretty much the ending I wanted. No mean feat considering all the hype and all the fresh angles they’ve found in every movie so far. Somehow they managed to tell a story that didn’t feel stale. Incredible.

Loved the scenes in the past, what a great way to wrap up 11 years of cinema. But not overdone either.

Glad they kept captain marvel out until the end, i still don’t know how you tell a credible story with her power level.

Fair amount of why didn’t they just snap fingers again but it felt good.

Soul stone’s penalty being stronger than finger snapping magic means that whatever set up the soul stone box is stronger than the infinity gauntlet, but I doubt that they’ll ever explore that. Turtles all the way down / infinite power all the way up.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Just got back from the theatre:

It... was OK?

I won't be at all surprised if they pull a LotR-style "extended edition" where the other half of the movie lives, because what's on screen felt really, really rushed. You can see the bits and pieces of other plotlines (usually as part of big fight scenes) where the setup was dropped on the cutting room floor.

When it slowed down to breathe for a moment it was quite good, but too often they were running full-tilt trying to get to the next set piece.
 -  
Community Contributor
Fritzinger wrote:How about all that cameo star power!?
There were a few faces where, at the end of the film I thought "how much money did they have to spend to get them to come back for that little of a part?"

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
AllenGould wrote:
There were a few faces where, at the end of the film I thought "how much money did they have to spend to get them to come back for that little of a part?"
Best thing about that is they don't fucking need to care. This film is gonna make more than twice as much money as you need to end world hunger!
They could probably afford to clone George Washington for a cameo by now.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
The first act was great. Our heroes dealing with loss. The universe was in the frame, but we got to see what happened on our end through the eyes of those we loved and cared about. Going forward five years rushed us through the immediate effects. Some handled it better than others, but this is the kind of lasting change we need to see. Those that survive came together and worked for the betterment in their own way. Very well done.

Then they invoked time travel. They said right at the jump that the sanctity of the timeline didn't manner. It was a fun way to look at the events of the past few years, but why not just watch the original instead of a Clip Show? The New York stuff was fantastic, particularly Cap fighting himself and the rest of Avengers 1.5, though the stairs but was too much. I loved Banner having to figure it out with his mind after being Hulkified for years. The seventies stuff was gratuitous and the Asgard seemed like it was there for fan service. Maybe actually have Portman come over instead of using unused footage.

At least the didn't have an overly gratuitous ending battle. And have a shot with all the kick ass ladies of the franchise. 'Cause we did that last year! Worst of all, we have an ending that robs the heroes of their choices.

Go a little easier on Barton and expand the first act and there's a winner.
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote:Going forward five years rushed us through the immediate effects.
Thinking on it, this is the part I like the least.

The problem with the bigger "event" MCU flicks is that they end up skipping over details in order to move the pieces into position for the next batch of films. And the five years later piece means we missed out on a bunch of cool movies because they skipped to the end. No Professor Hulk movie. No "Ronin" film. No "Black Widow running the world" film. No wacky Nebula/Rocket team up flick. All of those just poofed in the rush to get to RDJ's finale. :(
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
So presumably,
when everyone was 'snapped' back they came back in the same place in space (though like always with time travel magically at the corrected place for orbits and what not) because Spiderman/Dr. Strange/etc. were all on Titan still. Does that mean the people that were on aircraft at the time of the original 'snap' just fell to their deaths straight away? And did the people that died indirectly from the 'snap' come back as well or is Thanos still the most successful mass-murderer in the universe?
 -  
Community Contributor
Latok wrote:So presumably,
when everyone was 'snapped' back they came back in the same place in space (though like always with time travel magically at the corrected place for orbits and what not) because Spiderman/Dr. Strange/etc. were all on Titan still. Does that mean the people that were on aircraft at the time of the original 'snap' just fell to their deaths straight away? And did the people that died indirectly from the 'snap' come back as well or is Thanos still the most successful mass-murderer in the universe?
Depends on how much you're willing to read between the lines, I guess. Ditto for anyone who died of suicide/hunger/Ronin in the meantime, etc etc. I've heard arguments that Banner would account for all that, but I suspect it'll never be brought up.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
I'm not sure how well the rest of Chris Evans or Jeremy Renner's acting careers are going to go compared to all of the part-timers that didn't even get a signature (Natalie Portman? Gwyneth Paltrow? Michael Douglas? Ho hum). But they'll always have that moment where the MCU decided to show how much they made all other movie franchises their bitch for 10 years running.
NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]