A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
MidnightLich wrote:What would you have taken out? I've been thinking that the 3 hour runtime was actually really lean, and the movie had very little fluff in it.
What about that entirely overblown and unnecessary third act? Besides creating continuity nightmares, we already had several battles against Thanos in Infinity War.

Why go to 20144 for the Power Stone with Nebula? Didn't she know her system would sync with her past version? The stones have been there for millennia.

And oh yeah, poop jokes can be cut out.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Faithful Reader wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:What would you have taken out? I've been thinking that the 3 hour runtime was actually really lean, and the movie had very little fluff in it.
What about that entirely overblown and unnecessary third act? Besides creating continuity nightmares, we already had several battles against Thanos in Infinity War.

Why go to 20144 for the Power Stone with Nebula? Didn't she know her system would sync with her past version? The stones have been there for millennia.

And oh yeah, poop jokes can be cut out.
I often have massive problems with time travel and this movie is no different but they went to 2014 because they knew the Power Stone was there then since that's when Starlord got it, prior to that they had no way of knowing when it got there AND I don't really see how she could've known that her system would do that, when has there been two of her in the same time before? It's the same with the Soul Stone I've heard people say Nebula could've told them someone had to die for it so they knew going in but there's no way she could've actually known that. When you've got limited resources(Pym particles) you make safe plays, you know exactly when the Power Stone will be somewhere? Then go to that time exactly.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Latok wrote:I often have massive problems with time travel and this movie is no different but they went to 2014 because they knew the Power Stone was there then since that's when Starlord got it, prior to that they had no way of knowing when it got there
It's covered by oceans every 300 years! They can count that high. The only reason anyone came was for the stone. It's been abandoned for quite some time. It's actually more risky because if Starlord isn't jamming away, he sees Nebula and Falcon!
Latok wrote:I don't really see how she could've known that her system would do that, when has there been two of her in the same time before?
How could she not? Lethal cyborg assassin becomes less effective if I can stop her with a magnet or a jammer. You know crime bosses would be willing to lug a big one around to make sure she wasn't something to worry about. It's a glaring weakness of her ability to function, she has to know.
Latok wrote:When you've got limited resources(Pym particles) you make safe plays, you know exactly when the Power Stone will be somewhere? Then go to that time exactly.
But why do they have to send the entire roster of heroes? All at once? And why leave off their arguably most powerful who could just make one trip and get them all? Send Captain Marvel back to 2012, she travels around gathering them up and them comes back.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote: And why leave off their arguably most powerful who could just make one trip and get them all? Send Captain Marvel back to 2012, she travels around gathering them up and them comes back.
Actually, this one makes sense - it's been pointed out that Marvel is not a... subtle hero. Remember they're trying to avoid changing the timeline - having Marvel do multiple smash-and-grabs is gonna make waves that they really would rather not make.

(Also, "Because this is the finale sendoff for the Original Six")
By Latok
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
Latok wrote:I often have massive problems with time travel and this movie is no different but they went to 2014 because they knew the Power Stone was there then since that's when Starlord got it, prior to that they had no way of knowing when it got there
It's covered by oceans every 300 years! They can count that high. The only reason anyone came was for the stone. It's been abandoned for quite some time. It's actually more risky because if Starlord isn't jamming away, he sees Nebula and Falcon!
So you've replaced "How would they know that?" with more "How would they know that?".
Faithful Reader wrote:
Latok wrote:I don't really see how she could've known that her system would do that, when has there been two of her in the same time before?
How could she not? Lethal cyborg assassin becomes less effective if I can stop her with a magnet or a jammer. You know crime bosses would be willing to lug a big one around to make sure she wasn't something to worry about. It's a glaring weakness of her ability to function, she has to know.
Yes Nebula is a bad non-sensical character like all of the Guardians of the Galaxy but doesn't answer my question, why should she be able to deduce that her brain is going to somehow quantum entangle(or whatever BS they said to explain it) with the other Nebula, she didn't create her system, she doesn't really control it and there's never been two of her in the same time before.
Faithful Reader wrote:
Latok wrote:When you've got limited resources(Pym particles) you make safe plays, you know exactly when the Power Stone will be somewhere? Then go to that time exactly.
But why do they have to send the entire roster of heroes? All at once? And why leave off their arguably most powerful who could just make one trip and get them all? Send Captain Marvel back to 2012, she travels around gathering them up and them comes back.
Probably for the same reason Captain Marvel didn't fly through Thanos and kill him as soon as she showed up. Because she's a terrible 'Superman' character and it was a HUGE mistake to add her between Infinity War and Endgame so they used her as little as they could possibly justify.
 -  
Community Contributor
Latok wrote: Probably for the same reason Captain Marvel didn't fly through Thanos and kill him as soon as she showed up. Because she's a terrible 'Superman' character and it was a HUGE mistake to add her between Infinity War and Endgame so they used her as little as they could possibly justify.
No, it was necessary, because she (along with Ant-Man) serve as hope. (Also, she's how you get Tony back to Earth). And funnily enough, she's also false hope (because she does pretty much just "fly through Thanos", but that turns out not to be the solution.)
By Latok
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Latok wrote: Probably for the same reason Captain Marvel didn't fly through Thanos and kill him as soon as she showed up. Because she's a terrible 'Superman' character and it was a HUGE mistake to add her between Infinity War and Endgame so they used her as little as they could possibly justify.
No, it was necessary, because she (along with Ant-Man) serve as hope. (Also, she's how you get Tony back to Earth). And funnily enough, she's also false hope (because she does pretty much just "fly through Thanos", but that turns out not to be the solution.)
She serves as 'hope' by contributing nothing? Getting Tony back to Earth is a problem they created in Endgame, could've just had the ship not run out of fuel, easy. She doesn't do anything to Thanos, doesn't even take the Gauntlet off of him, which she dropped so he could get it.
 -  
Community Contributor
Latok wrote: She serves as 'hope' by contributing nothing? Getting Tony back to Earth is a problem they created in Endgame, could've just had the ship not run out of fuel, easy. She doesn't do anything to Thanos, doesn't even take the Gauntlet off of him, which she dropped so he could get it.
Because Tony flying back to earth in his shiny new ship doesn't fit the theme of loss and hopelessness. Everyone just got their asses handed to them, they completely lost, and then Marvel shows up, all full of spitfire and ready to go kick ass, and gives them hope that they can still win. And then they go find him and find out they're too late, the Stones are gone, nothing can be fixed. It's a fake-out. (And also probably a take that to the "Marvel is too powerful" crowd, since not all problems can be solved with brute violence)

Then you fast forward and Ant-Man appears and provides the true hope of the film. But both of them serve as characters who weren't involved in the original beat down, so still have motivation. (Note that everyone else was just going through the motions for those five years.)
By Latok
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Latok wrote: She serves as 'hope' by contributing nothing? Getting Tony back to Earth is a problem they created in Endgame, could've just had the ship not run out of fuel, easy. She doesn't do anything to Thanos, doesn't even take the Gauntlet off of him, which she dropped so he could get it.
Because Tony flying back to earth in his shiny new ship doesn't fit the theme of loss and hopelessness. Everyone just got their asses handed to them, they completely lost, and then Marvel shows up, all full of spitfire and ready to go kick ass, and gives them hope that they can still win. And then they go find him and find out they're too late, the Stones are gone, nothing can be fixed. It's a fake-out. (And also probably a take that to the "Marvel is too powerful" crowd, since not all problems can be solved with brute violence)
Introducing such a bad character, because she's so OP, just for a essentially pointless driving force for the first 20 minutes of the movie is a waste of time, effort and causes unnecessary problems. There's other ways to get to original Thanos being dead and hope being lost that don't cause problems later when you have a character that can fly through spaceships but can't beat a Thanos with no Stones.
 -  
Community Contributor
Latok wrote:. There's other ways to get to original Thanos being dead and hope being lost that don't cause problems later when you have a character that can fly through spaceships but can't beat a Thanos with no Stones.
If I recall, she beats down Thanos quite easily the first time (when he has no stones), and only gets knocked out when he uses the Power Stone.

Also, everyone knows that bad guy ships are made out of grade-J materials. :D
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote:
This is my wife's argument, but the third act battle against Thanos was the first time I ever cared about any of these battles, because this movie did a much, much, much better job setting up character arcs than Infinity War.

For the first time since the beginning of frankly Winter Soldier, Captain America actually felt like Captain America. The team was finally, unreservedly, united again. Everyone from the original team, the one Phil Coulson forged, was on the brink of resolving the key conflicts that have defined them for a decade.

The jokes are the reason I go to see Marvel movies. I usually regard the battles are an unfortunate side-effect of the jokes, and I have zero investment in comic books outside these movies... but when Cap said "Avengers... Assemble," I had genuine chills. And it worked all the better because I knew it was the last time. There will be other Avengers, but these are my Avengers, and they always will be.

So, yes, correct, Endgame did not need to be three hours long. I would have cut it by trimming all of Infinity War down to 22 minutes (that is a movie built entirely around shock and spectacle, not character) and then giving Endgame an extra 30 minutes with the cost savings, because Endgame knew how to treat its characters. (I would also add a 20-minute intermission to Endgame.)

Best comic book movie since the original The Avengers, and leaps and bounds ahead of every other "crossover event" since then.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:Best comic book movie since the original The Avengers, and leaps and bounds ahead of every other "crossover event" since then.
I thought you might remember that crossovers could be good after watching this one.
Now that I've seen it, I wonder if I need to go back and redact that whole PM conversation with updated correct opinions.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Seems they are rereleasing the movie with some stuff in the credits (although the movie will be unaltered).

I hope it beats Avatar as highest grossing, because I liked Endgame much more than that average scifi movie.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]