A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote: But if it makes you feel better, Ill see it while eating a steak and report back to you.
You enjoy that steak. ;)

(Honestly, the kid is pretty much the age where I'm gonna stop getting invited to movies, and it's not like I'm gonna run out of media to consume any time soon... )
Its okay Allen. Eventually they come back and appreciate the movie times with their dad. It just takes that semi-quasi teens into early 20s. Im pretty sure we all did to our dads at the movies :-)

~D
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
HoodieDM wrote: Its okay Allen. Eventually they come back and appreciate the movie times with their dad. It just takes that semi-quasi teens into early 20s. Im pretty sure we all did to our dads at the movies :-)
:cheersL:

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
I really like it. Definitely of DC's best movies thanks to Zach Levi and the heartwarming center of the film.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The trailers gave a good summation of the second act, but there's a lot leading up to it, including a truly diverse cast. Kids who are good at acting and you get a sense that they are a family both on screen and off. The family fell into their roles pretty well and it never hurts for Cooper Andrews on screen, though he got to stretch his acting muscles with being Angry Dad. Best of all, we add two more members to the DC/Marvel list. I've been a fan of Grazer since seeing the aborted Me Myself and I last year and he did a great job as lead kid here. Angel did a job job as half the protagonist, but he just wasn't believable as a fourteen year old. They should have made him his true age.

And then we have Levi. He was great and all, but I didn't believe he was the same character as Angel. The problem also extended to SPOILER(S), but they tried here and there.

That last act is amazeballs. They left it out of the trailers (along with most of the action scenes, but that climactic fight is simple fantastic. It is worth the price of admission and you really really need to make sure your eyeballs are glued to it at some point.

Sadly, the villain is kind of one note. He is bad and has powers, but he doesn't really do a whole lot except want more power, or something. So many of these first movies would be so much better without having a climactic fight. It works sometimes when there's a connection between the two, but not here. Especially when the seven bad guys are pretty much interchangeable.

The rest of the movie is ... problematic. It's as though the writers slapped together a bunch of scenes and hoped they would work, but they don't. What kid is the perfect embodiment of virtue? What kid will go to the Evil Ball of Evil and see it as a thing to play with? For someone trying to pick paragons of virtue, the wizard is pretty sporadic During the climax, everyone vanishes except for some random people including two bullies on the ferris wheel. Did no one think of calling the fire department to save them? While this is probably the best reason for superhero not being heroic, that very much damages the choice of him in the first place.

Worst of all, after establishing the parents as loving, they disappear when it's necessary for the story.

Buy a ticket then come back a hour and a half later.

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
Well, I made the nerd mistake of booking my tickets on-line, completely forgetting that it's called Shazam! and booked tickets for Captain Marvel by mistake. D'oh!

I'm no DC fan boy, I really haven't liked any of the DCEU films that much. Wonder Woman was ruined by the third act (imho), Aquaman was OK, but loved this film. Even held the attention of my 10 year old niece for the 130 minute run time, which is pretty much unheard of for any film longer than 90 minutes (and some scenes did scare her silly lol).

The film really connected with me, and I didn't dislike anything in it. Oh, the mid-credits scene was awful. So there was that...

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I didn't get the mid credits scene - but I looked it up and it is for the DC Fanbois and it sounds like that worked. I agree with your film reviews. :-)
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Did no one think of calling the fire department to save them? While this is probably the best reason for superhero not being heroic, that very much damages the choice of him in the first place.
I'm confused by what you mean here?

I liked the film. I didn't actually dislike anything except the cripple sidekick, who I think was a pretty bad character.

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]