A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Don't get discouraged. Really, if I can get this far (despite it being the wrong type of game for me, being this complex), then anybody can.
I mean, really, any game with a manual bigger than 1 page, I would skip now.
And while I'm still not tourney material, I ca get along with my friends, so. Yes you can.

And... there's this site, here. These people. :thumbsup:

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
If there were people local to play and learn with it would be easier for sure but alas just me....

I may have to take a look at Tribbles though as it sounds fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ouch, yeah, having live people around is a big help. (I mean, it was for me.)

Where are you from? Oh wait, I remember that you posted about that -- looked it up.

We're so close, and yet so far. (That sounds creepy! :D ) Divided by the Channel. (If you're a person of means, you're welcome to hop over.)

But hey -- you can also always try what I did. I restarted playing and learning, in 2014, by only using the Decipher ("Traditional") cards and Decipher rules. That way, it was closer to what I knew. No hundreds of (great!) new cards, no few handsful of (interesting!) new icons -- just the old stuff. The old rules documents (I can get them to you).

Build on that, get into the nuances during play. Later, you can start reading newer documents.

For me, it helped me keep it contained. And again, I'm not really cut out for this, but I'm really making headway. Even with the infamous Borg!

Of course, most people here would love to see you (and me) join the Virtual fun. But take your time. Have patience with yourself. :)

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Suden Kapala wrote:
Did anybody say... dead games?

I guess many here have SWCCG? I have quite some cards but never got to learning it correctly. And while the life force game mechanic and destiny draws are truly awesome, the story-wise goal -- just shoot-'em-up (or sabre-them-up) -- appealed to me less than solving missions. And thus the gameplay itself was less fun for me, since the stories & subplots of a game interest me most. Also: too much algebra involved (attrition... forfeit... battle damage... too many numbers...).
Still, I absolutely love the cards. (Layout, borders, photos.) I'm of a mind to learn it properly and play it with friends. But before I do that, must... have... mastered all nuances and complexities of 1e. (A.K.A.: Never. 8) )

As an avid card collector, I also bought some packs of Dune CCG and I have some Bab5 CCG... And I would like to try to use my TLOTR TCG one day... But never played.

Thinking... nope, that's it. Wait --
Middle Earth CCG, also have a lot of cards of that, but never played.
I have gobs of this and have played... 1 game I think? Maybe 2.... :-(
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Oh my God somebody mentioned Sim City CCG. I used to own a bunch of those cards. I played like, maybe once, with my sister.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Did someone say dead CCGs?

I used to play the CCG NFL Red Zone by Donruss. As the name implies, it was an NFL based CCG.

It was fun, but it did have a fundamental design flaw: There was really no point in continuing to collect once you collected your favorite team to be your players. Cards were designed so they could serve as players, or results of plays and almost (if not all) rare cards were penalties if you drew them at the wrong time. So any all rare deck was a surefire loser.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Sim city always looked so good.... so I bought a booster box, opened them and never played...

I had a booster box of an NFL ccg so it may be the same one... also a MLB ccg which I don’t remember the name of lol

First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
OKCoyote wrote:Oh my God somebody mentioned Sim City CCG. I used to own a bunch of those cards. I played like, maybe once, with my sister.
Still got mine. Gameplay was cool. Scorekeeping was *brutal*. (Although better if you did the one-deck variant, because then you could curate a bit).

Somewhere I've got my video of "here's all my old CCGs" :)

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
OKCoyote wrote:Oh my God somebody mentioned Sim City CCG. I used to own a bunch of those cards. I played like, maybe once, with my sister.
Still got mine. Gameplay was cool. Scorekeeping was *brutal*. (Although better if you did the one-deck variant, because then you could curate a bit).

That would be cool to see... is it on YouTube?

First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Retrogamer82 wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
That would be cool to see... is it on YouTube?
Apparently not, which is weird because now I don't know how it was shared the first time? :)

I'll see if I can dig it up this weekend.

edit: Found it.

(If memory serves, people didn't like the Totally Awesome Music I picked as background, so you may want to mute.)

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.