A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Schmeh.

It didnt really move the needle for me.

TFA was good but rehash-y. TLJ was absolutely awful. So they have a lot of work to do. Abrams being back can, hopefully, right the ship.

I'm somewhat optimistic but not overly hopeful.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Se7enofMine wrote:TFA was good but rehash-y. TLJ was absolutely awful.
Everything bad in TLJ was TFA's fault.

I didn't trust my judgment when he was running Star Trek, because I knew I was biased and inclined to hate the guy just for messing with my franchise... but now that he's on Star Wars I can see it clearly: J.J. Abrams is a bad storyteller. (Good at many things I'm not, like directing, but his stories are bad.) He kneecapped Rian Johnson in many ways, it harmed TLJ badly, and now he's back to retcon TLJ and give us an unsatisfying ending.

I'm still going to see it, of course. I like Rey and Finn and Lando and Luke too much not to.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Se7enofMine wrote:TFA was good but rehash-y. TLJ was absolutely awful.
Everything bad in TLJ was TFA's fault.

I didn't trust my judgment when he was running Star Trek, because I knew I was biased and inclined to hate the guy just for messing with my franchise... but now that he's on Star Wars I can see it clearly: J.J. Abrams is a bad storyteller. (Good at many things I'm not, like directing, but his stories are bad.) He kneecapped Rian Johnson in many ways, it harmed TLJ badly, and now he's back to retcon TLJ and give us an unsatisfying ending.

I'm still going to see it, of course. I like Rey and Finn and Lando and Luke too much not to.
I don't see how Finn and random character #53 going off to do stupid shit on a gambling planet is TFA's fault, or Luke killing himself projecting lightyears away for no real reason or benefit is TFA's fault. Yeah actually I see it as TLJ went, I'm going to take TFA's set up and just throw it away by killing the big-baddy pointlessly, make the protagonist's mentor not a mentor and also kill him pointlessly and do an even worse job than TFA to try explain Kylo's character.
 -  
Community Contributor
Latok wrote:I don't see how Finn and random character #53 going off to do stupid shit on a gambling planet is TFA's fault
TFA didn't give any of these characters (except Rey) anywhere to go.

At the end of A New Hope, you've got Luke set on his path to become a Jedi, you've got Han midway into a redemption arc (and, yes, Harrison Ford is right that he should have died when that arc ended in Empire, but that's another story), you've got Leia leading a fairly well-defined Rebellion against a fairly well-defined Empire and specifically the villain of Vader -- who isn't very deep at this point, but whose characterization in just the ANH "lack of faith disturbing" and Obi-Wan fight scenes is more consistent than anything Kylo Ren did. You don't know the full story behind the Rebellion and the Empire, but you don't need to to understand the story on screen and the characters at the head of each.

At the end of TFA, you've got Rey on her path to become a Jedi. Not surprisingly, the continuation of that storyline is the only part of TLJ that really works.

You've got Finn, who is... a nice guy? Where does that character go? He has no defined goals, no serious defects that need to be fixed. The entire interesting part of Finn's story happens in the very start of TFA, when he decides to defect. The only thing he's got by the end of TFA is a potential nemesis relationship with Captain Phasma, but we don't understand her or their relationship well enough from TFA to really care. With his most significant relationship -- Rey -- isolated by her subplot in TLJ, he's really at loose ends. So Rian Johnson naturally generates a new relationship for him and tries to send him off to do something that can let him deal with that Phasma loose end, with a lot of bombast and spectacle along the way to hide how little he has to work with.

And Poe. Poe is... also just some nice guy? He's a good pilot at the end of TFA. That's it. He's got more and funnier lines, but, dig beneath the surface, and he's basically Movie!Wedge Antilles. To get him in the new movie doing something -- anything! -- Rian Johnson had to invent a whole layer of characterization and conflict for him. But it all came across as stupid and contrived and not grounded in the character (or logical sense) because it wasn't. Worse, Johnson had to figure out how to draw Poe into conflict with Leia, because Carrie Fisher was in the movie and Expectations Had Been Set, even though the second movie in the new trilogy desperately needed to spend more time on the new generation of main characters. (Luke was in the movie too much, too, honestly. Although I think Rian Johnson absolutely nailed Luke Skywalker, a man who has never ever won a single on-screen lightsaber battle.)

Can we care about the galactic struggle between the First Order and the Resistance? No, because none of that conflict makes any sense. It was one thing for ANH to tell us about an Empire that had been around for a while and a Rebellion that was rising up against it. But to tell us, six movies later, after watching the Empire fall, that the Empire is back (????) and the New Republic is somehow completely unable to do anything about it (????????) snaps suspension of disbelief. None of it adds up. The long retreat convoy thing made as much sense as anything.

What I'll concede Johnson could have and should have done better: he ought to have recognized that one of the only things Poe and Finn had going for them was their bond with one another from the rescue in TFA. With Rey off on Blue Milk Planet, Poe and Finn should have spent the entire movie together being buds. It still would've been either (a) pointless like Finn's plot or (b) contrived like Poe's, because neither character has anything to DO outside of Mary Sue Rey's central arc, but it would have been less noticeable if Finn and Poe were palling around the whole time cracking jokes.

The other thing Johnson screwed up -- and this is huge, he really screwed it up -- is by allowing the movie to continue past the battle in the throne room. The correct ending of The Last Jedi is:
Ren: No, no, you're still... holding on! Let go! [quickly calms down] Do you want to know the truth about your parents? Or have you always known? And you've just hidden it away. You know the truth. Say it.

[Rey continues to tear up] Say it.

Rey: [tearfully] They were nobody.

Ren: They were filthy junk traders, who sold you off for drinking money. They're dead in a pauper's grave in the Jakku desert. You have no place in this story; you come from nothing. You're nothing...

...but not to me. Join me. [he extends his hand towards Rey] Please.

[OFF Rey's ambivalent reaction]

ROLL CREDITS
Then you spend the next three years arguing about what Rey's answer will be and what kind of galaxy we return to in IX.

But the fundamental structural problems in TLJ, the contrivances, the weird character beats, all the wasted time, are all because TFA was a bad movie that left TLJ precious little to follow up on. Perhaps a better creator than Rian Johnson could have saved it and knitted something better together in the wake of TFA, but the challenge was far more immense than it should have been, and TLJ turned out... roughly how I'd expect, given its starting point.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
[quote="BCSWowbaggerYou've got Finn, who is... a nice guy? Where does that character go? He has no defined goals, no serious defects that need to be fixed. The entire interesting part of Finn's story happens in the very start of TFA, when he decides to defect.[/quote]

I agree with your Luke/Rey takes, but disagree strongly with your assessment of Finn. I think Finn is the best take on the "what does it mean to be human?" character in quite some time, which is why I resent so much that JJ saw fit to put him in his SW movie and not his Trek movies. His arc was the most compelling part of TFA for me - his efforts to exceed his programming were the least derivative element of the movie.

I didn't see that as the end of his story either; you don't just leave a cult that you've been a part of for your whole life and immediately integrate into society. Yes, putting Finn together with Poe again would have been the right move, because that's all Poe is meant to do - help Finn deal with suddenly becoming and autonomous being.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Although I think Rian Johnson absolutely nailed Luke Skywalker, a man who has never ever won a single on-screen lightsaber battle.)
Welp, that just made me spit my coffee. (And for bonus points, got a chortle out of the spouse) :cheersL:

Personally, the title makes me nervous, because given that we are currently Fresh Out of Skywalkers. Options:

1. Ren turns to the light side, completing the remake of 4-6. Yaawn.

2. We find out Rey is actually a Skywalker (being Shmi's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate), and thus the True Heir to the Skywalker family name because heaven forbid we have a hero who isn't part of that family tree.

3. Rey rips off the mask and it turns out she and Luke switched places and now Luke's Back Baby and starts pulling Star Destroyers out of the sky. (The day after the premiere theaters are closed because they have to steam clean all the seats where the fanboys were sitting.)
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
AllenGould wrote:We find out Rey is actually a Skywalker (being Shmi's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate), and thus the True Heir to the Skywalker family name because heaven forbid we have a hero who isn't part of that family tree.
I was just gonna post a Spaceballs gif in response, but then I found this:

-  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: I was just gonna post a Spaceballs gif in response, but then I found this:
Well, it is the logical nerd ending place for "She's a long-lost Skywalker". :)
 -  
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:I agree with your Luke/Rey takes, but disagree strongly with your assessment of Finn. I think Finn is the best take on the "what does it mean to be human?" character in quite some time, which is why I resent so much that JJ saw fit to put him in his SW movie and not his Trek movies. His arc was the most compelling part of TFA for me - his efforts to exceed his programming were the least derivative element of the movie.
Maybe I need to see TFA again. I saw it twice in theatres, but not since, and I have no memory of this subplot whatsoever.

If it's there (and I don't doubt it is, since you have a vivid memory of it), then I need to reevaluate my blame targets for TLJ.
AllenGould wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: Although I think Rian Johnson absolutely nailed Luke Skywalker, a man who has never ever won a single on-screen lightsaber battle.)
Welp, that just made me spit my coffee. (And for bonus points, got a chortle out of the spouse) :cheersL:
My work here is done.

The spaceballs jpg is gold.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:

Personally, the title makes me nervous, because given that we are currently Fresh Out of Skywalkers. Options:

2. We find out Rey is actually a Skywalker (being Shmi's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate), and thus the True Heir to the Skywalker family name because heaven forbid we have a hero who isn't part of that family tree.

3. Rey rips off the mask and it turns out she and Luke switched places and now Luke's Back Baby and starts pulling Star Destroyers out of the sky. (The day after the premiere theaters are closed because they have to steam clean all the seats where the fanboys were sitting.)

4. Skywalker becomes the replacement religion. If luke or rey is the last jedi, then the force users after will have a different name. My money is on Rise of Skywalker being analogous to "The Rise of Christian(s)" Followers of a new religious sect who identify using their founders name. It would also complete the cycle of the 3rd EP of each trilogy referring to the current dominant force sect. Revenge of the sith, return of the jedi, The Rise of Skywalker(s)
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hoss-Drone wrote:
AllenGould wrote:

4. Skywalker becomes the replacement religion. If luke or rey is the last jedi, then the force users after will have a different name. My money is on Rise of Skywalker being analogous to "The Rise of Christian(s)" Followers of a new religious sect who identify using their founders name. It would also complete the cycle of the 3rd EP of each trilogy referring to the current dominant force sect. Revenge of the sith, return of the jedi, The Rise of Skywalker(s)
I think #4 is dead on. I saw Matt Kirk suggest that Rey learns to Force Fly and literally becomes a "sky walker" as an option, too.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
HoodieDM wrote:Fuck this movie.

You should all be talking about The Mandalorian...

~D
I've been enjoying the side movies so much more than the main series ones...

TK

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
bosskamiura wrote: I've been enjoying the side movies so much more than the main series ones...
TK, you know I am with you on that. Rogue One, Solo and Rebels tv show been the best SW to come out since Disney took over. Ep7 (it is tolerable), Ep8, and The Resistance show are all shitz.

~D
Is Sedis a captain?

P'Jem Sanctuary can also DL Sopek .

Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]