A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
  • 120 posts
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Anyone watching? What did you think?

TK

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Haha, same for me here as with Discovery -- I'm waiting for both to be finished, first. GOT was way too cliffhangery for me, each season. I did watch seasons 1-4 in one stretch though, and I really enjoyed it. Well, "enjoy" was not the right word. You know! 8)

But, great series; really thrilled that I can almost start watching the rest of it! :D
Last edited by SudenKapala on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Gah, who ordered the deviled legs?

Why does the Night King need to send a message? Up until now he's been all unstoppable machine, seems out of character.

It doesn't gel with my favourite Bran is the night king theory. We've seen hints of, "it's ok to sacrifice the good guys for the greater good" from him, so I can see this as a "humanity has gone wrong, let's press the reset button" play. But then psychological warfare messages don't seem congruent with that.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Prophet
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Two words - Zombie Theon. You heard it here first. :wink:

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The writing has gotten worse every year since about season 3, but at this point I'm pot-committed. At least they can't possibly have another no-action episode next week.

By Pazuzu
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Naetor wrote:The writing has gotten worse every year since about season 3, but at this point I'm pot-committed. At least they can't possibly have another no-action episode next week.
At least we got some new bed-related action. But yes, in general I totally agree: two episodes now with no action at all. But at least we got some dialogues we were waiting for a couple of seasons now.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Naetor wrote:The writing has gotten worse every year since about season 3, but at this point I'm pot-committed. At least they can't possibly have another no-action episode next week.
I will say that they did a great job cutting all the extra fat out of books 4 & 5 to make the show leaner.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:
I will say that they did a great job cutting all the extra fat out of books 4 & 5 to make the show leaner.
Perhaps. The trip to Dorne and killing Jon only to resurrect him 1 episode later didn't serve much purpose beyond lip service to the books. Now, you could argue that Martin's story and planned conclusion of his series is too fragmented after book 3, and the show is the best effort to transform the setting laid out into a coherent story. But that doesn't change -- to me -- that the show has gotten bad to the point where political intrigue, plotting, and compelling dialogue has been replaced with basic plot points amplified by some battle or murder.

I think the best part of the series were the interactions between the political players: Tyrion, Tywin, the Red Viper, Varys, Littlefinger, and Cersei. Now they are all dead, or mere background characters with little screen time. It's a different show now.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Naetor wrote:I think the best part of the series were the interactions between the political players: Tyrion, Tywin, the Red Viper, Varys, Littlefinger, and Cersei. Now they are all dead, or mere background characters with little screen time. It's a different show now.
Yeah this for me as well, they've basically replaced it with a whole lot of "Remember these two characters know each other, well here's a pointless scene where nothing happens" through season 7 and literally all of S08E01, it's so repetitive and boring.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pazuzu wrote:two episodes now with no action at all.
Wait -- I was mistaken. I thought this was about the series that I saw the first 4 seasons of, but surely this is about another GoT. :D :P :wink:

No, TBH, for me, that's OK; I like it (also) when there's less action. If there's also more atmosphere and character moments, or even nice landscapes or other scenery... (Watching TOS for the first time in 2016 was a bit too slow, but if it's well-made and a conscious choice, it's not often too slow for me.)
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
It feels to me like they are giving us one last look at the characters and to realize that some/most/all of the cast won't be around much longer. Kind of like a fond farewell opportunity as it were.

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yeah, first couple episodes were great and what I expected. No action, character reflection, night before the battle, was the right call. And real, in most medieval battles and sieges everybody spent far more time getting ready and waiting.

We're about to get four 1.5 hour episodes that are reported to surpass what they've already done on the most intense, epic, cinematic action tv series ever created.

I'm more worried that we get too much of a superhero movie non stop blurry action.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Timo wrote:I'm more worried that we get too much of a superhero movie non stop blurry action.
Apparently they spent a lot of time studying the Battle of Helm's Deep in The Two Towers, to learn how to make a large connected battle with small skirmishes and spotlights on the separated main characters, while still being able to keep a good sense for how large the battle is and where everybody is in relation to each other. I'm hoping they did a good job learning that...

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.