A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote: Some evenings, my brain doesn't want to focus on a bigger game, so we play the lighter games. I prefer the longer ones, though.
I like the mix - you need some lighter/short games so you can chat and do something while you wait for everyone else to arrive, then you do the big main-event game, then something light to wind down (or because it's 8pm, people don't want to leave yet but don't want to commit to another three hours of Heavy Game).

Not to mention, there are lots of nice crunchy games that don't require hours. The Century series, for example.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Dunnagh wrote:The Kennerspiel award is cool, but still those games are mostly too light for us. From those presented, Wingspan won the price fairly.
We played Wingspan for the first time last night. We enjoyed it, but we did terribly. Probably to be expected for a first try and not knowing the possible abilities of the birds in the deck or the bonus cards.

By Andrew
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Also, Miniature Market is having their Black Friday sale
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchr ... riday+Sale
They even have a spreadsheet with all of the merchandise on it
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Some pretty good deals on sleeves and playmats.

Although the Asmodee items won't be added to the list until the middle of the day sometime tomorrow.

A good tip I found for reaching the free shipping threshold on a $100 or more total:
They have a customer hold option as part of the shipping options when you check out! So your best bet is to make an account ahead of time with your address & billing details, then its super quick to checkout. Just put items you find on hold & email them to release the orders. So you don't lose any really good deals while you're browsing to reach free shipping, or browsing the rest of the sale. Because lots of people will get price drop notifications for certain items they are set for, at the start of the sale. So the hot games will go quickly.
I lost out on getting A Feast for Odin last year for only $30 not knowing that.

The weirdest thing is how cheap some of the Warmachine/Hordes books are going for. I guess the attempt to win over discontented Games Workshop fans didn't work out so well.

By Andrew
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
So, I'd like some nerd hivemind input. This is purely about my local board gaming experience. As you can tell from my scant tournament record, I don't play trek ccg often enough to level this complaint about anyone here.

A problem I keep running into is having to perpetually prod a certain player to put his phone down and take his turn. Most of the other gamers there will use their time in between turns to plot out in their mind what they want their next turn to be. Not Player-A. His turn now takes three times as long because he wasn't already plotting it out, in addition to all of us waiting for him to finish his text and start his turn. No matter how I call him out, he doesn't think there's anything wrong with having a table full of people wait for him to put his phone down.

In fact, he's now accused me of making the game process "not fun". As if his behavior choice doesn't have anything to do with it. I'm sure he's at home right now, texting at people (of course) to tell them that I'm the asshole.

Over the last couple of years there were a few acquaintances I avoided gaming with because I couldn't put up with the phone gazing anymore.

I'd like your input.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I'm not active in any tabletop groups, but I'd say the etiquette is the same as going out to eat with friends. Using your phone during that time outside of emergency or answering a call with "Hey, can I call you back later?" is rude. You're basically saying the phone and the people on it are more important than the people you're with.

For a game, it's arguably worse since you should be paying attention to everything going on.

Unless you absolutely need the guy for enough people to play, I'd suggest a "No phones at the table." rule. If that makes him leave, then you know what his priorities are.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
We have one of those at our LGS - usually isn't a phone, but he can take as long to do a turn as everyone else.

We just try to avoid being at the same table as him. (Nice guy otherwise, just awful to play a game with. *shrug*)
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
One of the people who would come to our local tabletop sessions was asked not to return because they didn't pay attention to the game while it was being played and kept having to ask what was happening when their turn came around. It would make the games take considerably longer than necessary. People eventually got tired of it and didn't want to play with her any longer.

By Andrew
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:02 am One of the people who would come to our local tabletop sessions was asked not to return because they didn't pay attention to the game while it was being played and kept having to ask what was happening when their turn came around. It would make the games take considerably longer than necessary. People eventually got tired of it and didn't want to play with her any longer.
I once had someone rage-quit Architects of the Western Kingdom because I refused to tell him what he had just missed for the 12th time.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation