A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Andrew
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Spiel des Jahres nominees for 2019 have been announced.

Nominees:
• Just One, by Ludovic Roudy and Bruno Sautter from Repos Production
• LAMA, by Reiner Knizia from AMIGO
• Werwörter, by Ted Alspach from Bézier Games
Honorable Mentions: Belratti, Dizzle, Imhotep: The Duel, Krasse Kacke, Reef, and Sherlock, a series of three standalone games from GDM Games that were released in Germany by ABACUSSPIELE: Sherlock: Death on the 4th of July, Sherlock: Last Call, and Sherlock: Tomb of the Archaeologist.

Nominations for the Kennerspiel des Jahres went to:
• Carpe Diem, by Stefan Feld from alea
• Detective, by Ignacy Trzewiczek from Portal Games
• Wingspan, by Elizabeth Hargrave from Stonemaier Games (and in Germany from Feuerland Spiele)
Honorable Mentions: Architects of the West Kingdom, Lowlands, Newton, and Paper Tales.

The titles nominated for Kinderspiel des Jahres:
• Fabulantica, by Marco Teubner from Pegasus Spiele
• Go Gecko Go!, by Jürgen Adams from Zoch
• Tal der Wikinger, by Marie and Wilfried Fort from HABA
Honorable Mentions: Bauernhof Bande, Concept Kids: Animals, Magic Maze Kids, Monster Match, Monster-Bande, Octopus, and Voll verwackelt.

Personally I've played Wingspan and Architects of the Western Kingdom, and I think Architects is more deserving of a nomination. I think it just won game of the year at the U.K. Game Expo.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Man, I'm slacking. I haven't played anything on this list. Mostly just Gloomhaven and Pathfinder ACG for me these days.

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:Man, I'm slacking. I haven't played anything on this list. Mostly just Gloomhaven and Pathfinder ACG for me these days.

-crp
Is Gloomhaven worth it? We're into the Legacy games (finished Pandemic 2: The Pandemining and Charterstone), but the price tag on that box is wild...
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
AllenGould wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:Man, I'm slacking. I haven't played anything on this list. Mostly just Gloomhaven and Pathfinder ACG for me these days.

-crp
Is Gloomhaven worth it? We're into the Legacy games (finished Pandemic 2: The Pandemining and Charterstone), but the price tag on that box is wild...
I really like Gloomhaven, it's basically buying a Dungeon Master.
I have tried D&D and couldn't get into it but the extra structure, consistency, and ability for everyone to really play is why I like Gloomhaven.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
AllenGould wrote:

-crp
In a word: yes. Also worth it: the Broken Token organizer. We've had countless hours of fun playing GH and unlocking all of the content.

-crp
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:
AllenGould wrote:

-crp
In a word: yes. Also worth it: the Broken Token organizer. We've had countless hours of fun playing GH and unlocking all of the content.

-crp
I'll have to keep an eye out for it then. (It was on sale a while back, but those oversized boxes make me nervous.)
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Gloomhaven is fantastic... if you have a couple spare years.

I finished the main storyline a couple weeks ago - after just over a year of continuous play, roughly one session a week. I've put it away for now but I may eventually pick up the expansion.

Currently playing Pathfinder ACG (but still way back on Rise of the Runelords, eventually I'll move on I hope) and Dragonfire (still debating if this is going to be on the permanent roster; it's fun but very difficult).
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
My girlfriend and I played Dominion (not the Trek affiliation) recently and we really liked it. So much so, that I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a complete set. 12+ expansions or something like that. Thousands of cards. Now I just need to force our friends to enjoy it, too.

By Iella
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
James and I play a few board games ourselves. Teraforming Mars is always a favorite. Dice City is too. We also get most of the games from Red Raven. They have a really good story telling board game called Near and Far. There's another one on kickstarter right now, also a story telling board game, that we're looking forward to. Let me link it to you.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/95 ... escription

Here's their main website if you're interested.

https://redravengames.squarespace.com/
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
We have enjoyed Dice City too, though to me it feels like it's missing something. Probably some form of "chain reactions" would help. Some way to form synergies.

By Dunnagh (Andreas Micheel)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
I do have a boardgaming-related youtube channel - if you´re interested to see me move, look up "brettspiel dude" on YT ;)

The SdJ award... well, thats not my cup of tea. Mostly its about VERY lightweight family-type board games and we´re way past that.

The Kennerspiel award is cool, but still those games are mostly too light for us. From those presented, Wingspan won the price fairly. Carpe Diem is a neat game, but BOY is it not nice to look at. And Detective is much fun - but I´m not sure if the type of game is for many players.

Currently, I love Barrage, Vindication, Brass, any deck builder, Everdell... theres so many good games out there!
 -  
Community Contributor
Dunnagh wrote: The SdJ award... well, thats not my cup of tea. Mostly its about VERY lightweight family-type board games and we´re way past that.
Hey, don't knock the lightweight games. Sometimes folks just don't want to sign up for two-three hours of deep hardcore thinky-time, and a lighter game lets you still hang with your friends and chat.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Dunnagh wrote: The SdJ award... well, thats not my cup of tea. Mostly its about VERY lightweight family-type board games and we´re way past that.
Hey, don't knock the lightweight games. Sometimes folks just don't want to sign up for two-three hours of deep hardcore thinky-time, and a lighter game lets you still hang with your friends and chat.
We definitely have 2 sets of friends. One set likes the games that takes an hour. The others can't keep their attention on something that long and prefer the lighter games, 30 minutes tops.

Some evenings, my brain doesn't want to focus on a bigger game, so we play the lighter games. I prefer the longer ones, though.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]