A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

Which Sci-Fi multi-media franchises do you like, besides Trek?

Aliens
6%
Babylon 5
10%
Battlestar Galactica (original)
3%
Battlestar Galactica (re-imagined)
12%
Dune
5%
The Matrix
10%
Predators
3%
Space: Above And Beyond
1%
A Space Odyssey (only counts if you've seen both films and read at least 2 books)
2%
StarGate
10%
Star Wars
12%
Starship Troopers
7%
Terminator
7%
Transformers
6%
other (please specify; AKA "y u no include this, @%!^&")*
6%
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
Star Wars is fine. I go see the movies. But I've never found a book series I liked in that franchise. And most importantly, I never feel the urge to watch it again. (My kid hasn't even seen the classic three.)
Ok this jumped out at me. Did you not like the original Zahn trilogy or have you just not read them? If the former, where did it fall short in your view?

I'll be the first to acknowledge that there's plenty of Blah star wars novels out there, but Heir to the Empire and its immediate followers always stuck me as a cut above everything else, to include the later Zahn novels.
Y'know, I honestly don't remember. It was in my jr/sr high "read fifteen books a week" period, and I read everything I could get my hands on (even that gawd-awful Mission Earth series). So I've probably read the Zahn and it just didn't make an impression on me.

(The Trek novels are similar, I found - most of them were OK popcorn reads for an hour, but otherwise forgettable. The only exception was the SCE books a while back, which I really wish they'd kept making.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Voted Star Wars and Transformers. For Star Wars, I loved the Zahn books, and watched all movies at least twice (even I and II :-) ). For Transformers, I guess it's mostly nostalgia, but the recent movies are nice popcorn material. And Bumblebee was great!

Also voted Other, mostly for Farscape. Hope it counts as multimedia with the comics and books. Just love the visual design, the humor, while also having a lot of heart. And a very nice combination of characters.

Even though it doesn't hold a candle to Trek, I kind of want to watch Earth: Final Conflict again. I remember I liked the first two seasons (never saw the fourth), but don't know where it is available.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Cool, everybody. Thanks.

Yes we can count Farscape, I just had to draw a line for my list.

Allen, yes I've seen StarGate Atlantis, I remember now -- and found that better. :thumbsup: :)

Weyoun, I couldn't do EFC, but hear good things. And yes, the CGI live action Bumblebee rocks, right?

I'll be off (AFK) a bit more (or completely), this weekend. But if you like, by all means, keep it going. :wink:

:cheersL: :borg:

By MrVorlon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Nobody has mentioned Doctor Who? Also add me for Firefly. Of course, my favorite space movie franchise is Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also, I know you asked about multi-media franchises, but I wanted to include these tv shows: Sliders, Quantum Leap, Fringe, and Continuum.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
MrVorlon wrote:Also, I know you asked about multi-media franchises, but I wanted to include these tv shows: Sliders, Quantum Leap, Fringe, and Continuum.
I'll take Sliders until they started losing pieces of the original group of Quinn, Wade, Remy and Professor Arturo, and everything but the last episode of Quantum Leap.

I do find it an odd coincidence that the two worst series finales ever IMO were both shows starring Scott Bakula.

By MrVorlon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:
MrVorlon wrote:Also, I know you asked about multi-media franchises, but I wanted to include these tv shows: Sliders, Quantum Leap, Fringe, and Continuum.
I'll take Sliders until they started losing pieces of the original group of Quinn, Wade, Remy and Professor Arturo, and everything but the last episode of Quantum Leap.

I do find it an odd coincidence that the two worst series finales ever IMO were both shows starring Scott Bakula.
I loved the last episode of Quantum Leap! Not a happy ending, but it is one of the episodes I watch over and over again.
 -  
Community Contributor
MrVorlon wrote:Nobody has mentioned Doctor Who?
(snip)
Sliders, Quantum Leap
All good choices (although I haven't seen Leap since original airing, so I am... suspicious as to how well it aged). But I'm a bit shocked I forgot DW.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I liked BSG Caprica a lot.

The remake series went too crazy in the 4th season and I never actually finished it. I will soon enough.

B5 I only watched like seasons 3 and 4. One day I'll have to watch it start to end.

Star Wars I really like the universe but the main storyline is garbage (or turned garbage). Rogue 1 was amazing and I actually really liked Solo. So that tells me the main story line is being ruined and that's most likely due to creative differences and infighting that will never see the light of day.

Terminator has a good formula but is inconsistent. Maybe I will try to watch Sarah Connor Chronicles one day. I think I made it 3 episodes in haha

Stargate yes please. Original movie awesome, SG1 great up to a point. Did try some SGU but started to lose interest early season 2 when they announced it was getting the axe. Atlantis I've been told is good and I guess it's another for the maybe one day.

I could go on and on with universes that only have 1 series or movie but I think in the context of franchises the discussion should stick to that which has expanded to encompass vast works.
 -  
Community Contributor
Spectre9 wrote: Stargate yes please. Original movie awesome, SG1 great up to a point. Did try some SGU but started to lose interest early season 2 when they announced it was getting the axe.
I'd suggest finishing off SGU - they ended the series on a pretty nice note. It obviously has the "we left some loopholes just in case we get season 3" vibe, but doesn't end on a cliffhanger.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thx for the voting and the additions. :thumbsup: Nice to read the addendums and opinions.
The results so far are very different from what I had expected, so it's proving to be a great experiment. (Points for ship name.) :)
Spectre9 wrote:I liked BSG Caprica a lot.
I liked that too, but can't seem to get around to watching it again. But, one day.
B5 I only watched like seasons 3 and 4. One day I'll have to watch it start to end.
It's very good, go for it!
Star Wars I really like the universe but the main storyline is garbage (or turned garbage). Rogue 1 was amazing and I actually really liked Solo.
:thumbsup: This. :x :thumbsup:
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
MrVorlon wrote:Nobody has mentioned Doctor Who?
(snip)
Sliders, Quantum Leap
All good choices (although I haven't seen Leap since original airing, so I am... suspicious as to how well it aged). But I'm a bit shocked I forgot DW.
Given that he portrayed people of various ethincities/genders and no one batted an eye, I'm guessing pretty well.

Are you asking for a rewatch?
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote:
AllenGould wrote: All good choices (although I haven't seen Leap since original airing, so I am... suspicious as to how well it aged). But I'm a bit shocked I forgot DW.
Given that he portrayed people of various ethincities/genders and no one batted an eye, I'm guessing pretty well.

Are you asking for a rewatch?
Well, no-one batted an eye in the early 90s when it aired. Lots of stuff from back then hasn't aged so well.

As for a rewatch... I'm kinda inclined to leave it back in rose-colored-glasses land, y'know? It was good, I enjoyed it.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:
AllenGould wrote: All good choices (although I haven't seen Leap since original airing, so I am... suspicious as to how well it aged).
Well, no-one batted an eye in the early 90s when it aired. Lots of stuff from back then hasn't aged so well.
I could do a modicum of research (i.e. more than nothing) but this is the show where a man regularly portrayed women, minorities, etc. I suppose chimps may not like their portrayal, but it will take some time for them to make an informed opinion.

He gave an impassioned speech about date rape.
There was only one time he used his masculinity as a woman for story purposes. He was figuratively Driving Miss Daisy. He played a minority person several times, including a guy trying to get some money from the bank and a loan officer who was the same race was sympathetic to their plight. It was one of the few shows to acknowledge the plights of Asian Americans. He took on the Klan in the fifties.

Surely they covered their bases.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]