A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By phaserihardlyknowher (Ben Daeuber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Is it ever definitively established that the Rebellion didn't copy the plans and distribute them?

Another thought is that "The Rebellion" smacks a bit of the "People's Front of Judea" and possibly they were trying to keep the plans from the Judean People's Front. We see this story entirely from the Rebel's point of view. We have little idea if they are the only rebellion, if there are multiple working at cross purposes or even if they aren't in fact the good guys. I mean, they are essentially trying to reestablish a mystical theocracy. (You can follow this hole down for Star Trek as well, which I've done many, many times.)

I've got two:

1. Cars/Planes. There was a car WWII. That means there was a car Hitler. Think about that for a minute. There's a great fan theory that Cars exists in our own world, but after the human race is wiped out by disease.

2. Lord of the Rings. Plot holes aside, again with the mystical rulers and their ignorant but wise and hardworking minions. There's just a lot going on here, but if you've never heard of it, I highly recommend The Last Ring Bearer by Kirill Eskov. It's the story told from the perspective of Mordor, which is a burgeoning industrial state that is crushed by imperialists.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:01 pm Pokemon is a show about a society that is perfectly OK sending 10-year-old children out in the wilderness to capture animals for dogfighting rings.
That's definitely something Pokemon doesn't want you thinking about too hard. Especially after Michael Vick's arrest for dogfighting.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Boffo97 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:32 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:01 pm Pokemon is a show about a society that is perfectly OK sending 10-year-old children out in the wilderness to capture animals for dogfighting rings.
That's definitely something Pokemon doesn't want you thinking about too hard. Especially after Michael Vick's arrest for dogfighting.
Here's the disheartening thing - I've explained this to my kids and they don't care. They say the Pokemon are happy!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:36 pm
Here's the disheartening thing - I've explained this to my kids and they don't care. They say the Pokemon are happy!
You're trying to explain to kids why something they love is wrong. Of course they aren't going to listen to you.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Armus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:53 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:36 pm

You're trying to explain to kids why something they love is wrong. Of course they aren't going to listen to you.
Same as eating meat for most adults.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
phaserihardlyknowher wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:45 pm

Is it ever definitively established that the Rebellion didn't copy the plans and distribute them?

Another thought is that "The Rebellion" smacks a bit of the "People's Front of Judea" and possibly they were trying to keep the plans from the Judean People's Front. We see this story entirely from the Rebel's point of view. We have little idea if they are the only rebellion, if there are multiple working at cross purposes or even if they aren't in fact the good guys. I mean, they are essentially trying to reestablish a mystical theocracy. (You can follow this hole down for Star Trek as well, which I've done many, many times.)

I've got two:

1. Cars/Planes. There was a car WWII. That means there was a car Hitler. Think about that for a minute. There's a great fan theory that Cars exists in our own world, but after the human race is wiped out by disease.

2. Lord of the Rings. Plot holes aside, again with the mystical rulers and their ignorant but wise and hardworking minions. There's just a lot going on here,
but if you've never heard of it, I highly recommend The Last Ring Bearer by Kirill Eskov. It's the story told from the perspective of Mordor, which is a burgeoning industrial state that is crushed by imperialists.
I love the concept - but it was, IMHO, poorly written. Especially the dialogue. I didn't get very far... Of course this was "back in the day" so maybe I should try again.

By phaserihardlyknowher (Ben Daeuber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Iron Prime wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:01 pm I love the concept - but it was, IMHO, poorly written. Especially the dialogue. I didn't get very far... Of course this was "back in the day" so maybe I should try again.
This is a valid criticism. There was an updated translation in 2011, but it's not a masterpiece by any stretch. If you didn't like it then, I doubt it will improve much for you.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]