A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Anyone have a theory about a movie (or movie series) that completely ruins the movie, but you only came up with because you thought too much about the movie?

For example:

In Back to the Future, George McFly should be really, really worried that his son Marty looks exactly like "Calvin Klein".

Although, in a minor spoiler, the Telltale Games adventure games series based on the movie subtly implies that
George has somehow figured out that Marty was "Calvin", even if he's not exactly sure how.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Latok wrote:A lot of time travel movies make no sense when you think about it, Back to the Future for example, Looper.
True enough, like how neither free will or any dramatic tension that our heroes might lose can exist in the "Bill & Ted" movies.

If you can make stuff happen by just remembering to time travel back later and set it up, then time is like a highway that's already been built from one point to another. You can travel back and forth on it if you have a time machine, but you can't change the highway.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Arrival was ruined a bit for me, in a wholly different way. It's an awesome, AWESOME cerebral SF epic. Sadly, the ending, while positive enough, upon reflection implies a future for the main character that I would not wish upon myself. But YMMV. And still -- did I mention its AWESOMENESS?
Armus wrote:Big Bang Theory totally ruined Raiders of the Lost Ark for me. :?
How?
Boffo97 wrote:True enough, like how neither free will or any dramatic tension that our heroes might lose can exist in the "Bill & Ted" movies.

If you can make stuff happen by just remembering to time travel back later and set it up, then time is like a highway that's already been built from one point to another. You can travel back and forth on it if you have a time machine, but you can't change the highway.
Not sure whether B&T films took themselves seriously enough to warrant such analysis... Not whether the heroes would be bothered by such effects. They might just play an air guitar riff and carry on.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: In Back to the Future, George McFly should be really, really worried that his son Marty looks exactly like "Calvin Klein".
Except that it's 30 years between meeting "Calvin" and when Marty would look like Calvin. And as far as I recall, there's no pictures of Calvin taken back in '55. So even if George happened to think "hey, my teenage son looks kinda like that guy who came to town and then disappeared in the 50s", he's got nothing to confirm it.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:Big Bang Theory totally ruined Raiders of the Lost Ark for me. :?
First one I thought of when I saw the topic. Didn't totally ruin it for me tho, just amused.
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
Wonder Park.

Some of the story is decent (my kid loves it), a lot of the animation is terrific.

But most of the story, does NOT ring true at all. My theory: 20-ish minutes into the movie June goes to Math Camp. [Fill in the Blank] happens on the bus ride and it's just "Heaven" until the end of the movie.

Movie ruined.

But makes more sense.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Even if we buy Allen's theory that without a picture of "Calvin Klein", George and Lorraine McFly didn't remember his appearance well enough to be concerned when Marty looks just like... himself (which is possible), there's another issue.

Lorraine should be very confused when the actual Calvin Klein started making and selling underwear with his name sewn into it in the exact same style that Marty had back in 1955 that made Lorraine assume that was his name in the first place.
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote:Even if we buy Allen's theory that without a picture of "Calvin Klein", George and Lorraine McFly didn't remember his appearance well enough to be concerned when Marty looks just like... himself (which is possible), there's another issue.

Lorraine should be very confused when the actual Calvin Klein started making and selling underwear with his name sewn into it in the exact same style that Marty had back in 1955 that made Lorraine assume that was his name in the first place.
Quick check on a genealogy site shows *nine* "Calvin Klein"s. :)

Interestingly, Calvin Klein - the real one - was 13 in '55, and the brand started in '68. So even if she makes the connection, it's gonna be a "huh, I knew a kid with that name", not something to be weird about.

(For instance, I've never been to Pennsylvania, or Vermont in the 1820s, or Toronto.)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
It's not just that she knew the name, but also saw Marty's underwear with a distinctive logo sewed into it.

It's possible that it didn't result in too much of a difference in the grand scheme of things though.
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote:It's not just that she knew the name, but also saw Marty's underwear with a distinctive logo sewed into it.
Just sayin' - I don't think Lorraine was looking at the logo that closely, y'know? :D

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
AllenGould wrote:
Boffo97 wrote:It's not just that she knew the name, but also saw Marty's underwear with a distinctive logo sewed into it.
Just sayin' - I don't think Lorraine was looking at the logo that closely, y'know? :D
Fair enough. ;)
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]