A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Naetor wrote:Naetor = My name (Nate) + being the master of my favorite affiliation (Romulan; Praetor).
I never made that connection. Neat!

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Daimyoshi wrote:so being the Japanese fan I was and reading Shi at the time I when in retrospect bad syntax became Daimyo Shi [Lord Death].
So that name is even more dangerous than the 'steel' of your real name. (Mentioned in theCard Yourself topic.) Huh!
jadziadax8 wrote:
Naetor wrote:Naetor = My name (Nate) + being the master of my favorite affiliation (Romulan; Praetor).
Neat!
FTFY-- naet. :D :shifty: :? :(
jadziadax8 wrote:I never made that connection.
Me naether. 8)

Thanks for sharing, everyone. :cheersR:

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I needed a name back when Decipher opened up its forums for us early adopters and me, being a happy guy very into the electronic music scene going by the DJ name Smiley just adopted that on. I was not aware of the O'Brian Mirror character back then but as soon as I was I adopted that version. And later I actually go a card with my name so that was an easy avatar for my forum posts. =)

And I have a tendency to overuse the =) so that could be a part of the name as well.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
That's another nice story. And unexpected -- indeed, I figured the character had inspired your name. So thx for clearing that up.

What kind of electronics were/are you interested in? Which artists/records? Did you make your own music? If so, can you set us up with a sample?
Myself,
I'm mainly a metal-and-soundtrack-score person; next comes a heavy rock section; but the 4th portion of my tastes does consist of electronics (such as synthesisers, EBM/gothic, and trance. Even some happy hardcore/Eurohouse, since that was big when I was small, and it stuck)
Music is important.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:
SudenKapala wrote:Music is important.
To my knowledge, I have only known one person who actively disliked music.
Can you tell us more about that, while protecting their privacy? I've recently seen such a peson in a fictional TV production, but never met or heard of one IRL. So I'm very curious as to the extent and the reasons.

Aside from that -- my remark concerned the "fact" that I can't -- or don't want to -- exist without music. It's a near-primary need. Of course, there are many people who like music but don't find it all that important, which I fully understand. But how can people really not care for any music at all -- let alone actively dislike it? That is fascinating to me.

And aside from THAT, Smiley; still also interested in your electronics taste. When you've time. :thumbsup:
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote: To my knowledge, I have only known one person who actively disliked music.
Can you tell us more about that, while protecting their privacy? I've recently seen such a peson in a fictional TV production, but never met or heard of one IRL. So I'm very curious as to the extent and the reasons.
I don't know hers, but I have a close friend who just.. doesn't "get" music. To the point that she is the embodiment of "can't carry a tune with a bucket" (we got her up on stage at kareoke once. And we apologized to her afterwards).
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote:But Allen, does she not passively enjoy music? I mean, in the least? Or does she really not "understand" (receive) the joy of it?
As far as I know, nope. She reads, watches TV/movies, but music just doesn't do anything for her. I mean, I don't get Adam Sandler - I understand a lot of people think he's funny, but I can't think of a single Sandler routine that didn't fall flat for me. So I suspect it's something like that.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
SudenKapala wrote:Aside from that -- my remark concerned the "fact" that I can't -- or don't want to -- exist without music. It's a near-primary need. Of course, there are many people who like music but don't find it all that important, which I fully understand. But how can people really not care for any music at all -- let alone actively dislike it? That is fascinating to me.
He was another physics major that I knew when I was an undergraduate. Most of the other things I remember about him were he was the kind of person who was very smart and condescending to anyone else who wasn't as brilliant as he was. He was a real dick, to be honest. I don't want to make any correlations between those two facts, though. :lol:

The rest of us found it very puzzling that he didn't like music, because we ALL played instruments (as indeed most physicists do, actually). Between the rest of my class, we had the instrumentation for a Count Basie-style Big Band. We were actually just missing a bass player, which I could supply via my boyfriend (now husband), who was majoring in jazz performance.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Interesting comparison... but... Sandler is ONE ARTIST who doesn't do for you. (There're famed artists who don't float my boat; and obscure ones which I can't get enough of. And everything in between -- even popular music that I, too, like. Really!) There's bound to be someone who makes jokes you like. Right? The real comparison, I think, would be if you don't find ANYTHING funny. I.e., if you'd have no humour at all. I'd be equally fascinated if I heard of a person that didn't understand any humour. I mean, humour -- and the feelings which resonate with music -- seem to be so basic, so very present in seemingly every person everywhere...

(I didn't make jokes or references to Data on purpose. Let it not be thought that I didn't think of him while typing the above.)

I'd love to talk to a person who "doesn't experience" music. And see if they can make me understand how that is. What they DO hear -- and how it DOES register, then.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Back in the '90s I tried out a series of Trek-themed names on the old Decipher BBS and listservs, based on characters I liked from the show -- Dathon, Lovok, etc. but EVERY one ended up being already taken by somebody else. (e.g. after my first post as Lovok I got a reply along the lines of "Wow, Lovok, I haven't seen you on here in a while!") Even Kotran Pa'Dar was chosen by somebody else.

So I went in a different direction and chose a name from my musical hobby. Sergei Rachmaninoff was (and largely still is) my favorite composer for the piano, nobody in the CCG was using it for a handle, and that was that. A few years ago I picked up pipe organ and now consider that my primary instrument rather than piano, but that's another story for another time.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I sort of expected it to be something musical, but couldn't have guessed the pre-trails. Did you make new accounts each time? Or did you have your name changed? Or, wait, I remember from other fora now, that you could sometimes change your own screen name...

Thanks for sharing.
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0