A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
A thread for NFL discussion since the last thread was popular, but just about last year's Playoffs. This one isn't dated.

I'll start off with the Browns-Broncos game today having the odd decision of both teams wearing their dark uniforms. Here's a story with pictures on it. I can't imagine this game was very fun for the colorblind.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote:A thread for NFL discussion since the last thread was popular, but just about last year's Playoffs. This one isn't dated.

I'll start off with the Browns-Broncos game today having the odd decision of both teams wearing their dark uniforms. Here's a story with pictures on it. I can't imagine this game was very fun for the colorblind.
Did both teams forget to use bleach on their whites? :D

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I'm not sure what happened. The only other case I've seen of a uniform seeing play against both dark and light uniforms of an opponent is the Rams' blue on yellow Color Rush uniforms.

It's typically used against darker uniforms, but against white uniforms (for example October 21st, 2018 vs. the 49ers) the yellow also stands out enough.

The orange Broncos jerseys and the brown Browns jerseys though... no.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Well my 49ers are undefeated and it's a shocking development. I never would have expected this at the start of the season.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
We must all thank the Tennessee Titans for sparing us from that this year.
 -  
Community Contributor
But the important question:

How were the ads?

(Seriously - the biggest news around the Great Bird game in Canada is the ongoing argument around whether Canadian networks with the rights to the game can substitute their own ads.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:But the important question:

How were the ads?

(Seriously - the biggest news around the Great Bird game in Canada is the ongoing argument around whether Canadian networks with the rights to the game can substitute their own ads.)
Old Town Road Doritos was my favorite, with Groundhog Day Jeep and late 20th century sci-fi fanboy service Walmart grocery pickup rounding out the podium (Alex Winter is still alive!)

There were some other good ones too. My general impression is after several years of meh-level SB commercials, this year's crop was a pleasant step back in the right direction.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:(Alex Winter is still alive!)
He'd better be, Bill and Ted 3 comes out this summer. ;-)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Maelwys wrote:
Armus wrote:(Alex Winter is still alive!)
He'd better be, Bill and Ted 3 comes out this summer. ;-)
Of course it does. :roll:

Would that be before or after Top Gun 2?

The 80s are strong with this decade....

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:Would that be before or after Top Gun 2?

The 80s are strong with this decade....
Top Gun is June, Bill and Ted is August. Oh, and don't forget Ghostbusters in July!

And of course the 80s are more literally back in May for Wonder Woman 1984. ;-)
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: The 80s are strong with this decade....
I wonder if this is just another side effect of when technology made replaying things cheap/available to consumers. VCRs got big in the 80s, so that's where all the movies that everyone watched over and over (and over, and over) get imbedded in the American brain.

xkcd blamed Boomers for similar stagnation on Christmas songs, but I think it's also explained by the 50s being when record players became commonplace (meaning again - this is the first batch of songs that you could hear as often as you wanted).
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
Old Town Road Doritos was my favorite, with Groundhog Day Jeep and late 20th century sci-fi fanboy service Walmart grocery pickup rounding out the podium (Alex Winter is still alive!)

There were some other good ones too. My general impression is after several years of meh-level SB commercials, this year's crop was a pleasant step back in the right direction.
Quick aside: I really miss when YouTube or Adbusters or someone had a complete compilation of all the ads. Best I found was the CBS Sports page, and it was incomplete (and picked the sappy Walmart ad instead of the much better sci-fi pickup one, so thanks for pointing it out!)

Groundhog Day was very good. Old Town Road didn't do much for us, but I think we're not the target audience. From what I've seen, I'd pick the Reeses Take Five ad as our favorite (for having a proper punchline at the end).

But holy hell that's a pile of celebrity cameos this year. (And how much did Walmart pay just for licencing fees?!?)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
In CBA negotiation news, the NFL is considering changing the playoff format from the top 6 teams in each conference to the top 7. If this change is approved, it would take effect in the 2021 season.

Had this been in effect last year, the Packers would have hosted the Rams and the Chiefs would have hosted the Steelers during Wild Card Weekend rather than getting Byes. The 49ers and Ravens still would have gotten Byes.

I'm not sure how good an idea this is. As a Rams fan, sure, they would have been a playoff team technically, but I'm not sure what kind of realistic chance to advance they would have had, particularly with the O-Line issues.

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]