A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Czech National Champion 2011
AWFUL. TRASH. After Star Trek JJA completely killed the Star Wars universe. R.I.P.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
My friend Reese is primarily a Wars fan, but loves Trek, too. I'm the inverse. We agree that JJA killed Wars much more painfully than he did Trek. But he indeed, sadly, seems to be Death -- The Destroyer Of Franchises.

Reese will see ep.9 in the weekend. He is not looking forward to it. (And he is a fan!! Sad, sad sign.)

I won't even bother with it in cinema; but then I must admit that I rarely go. Blade Runner 2049 was my last; and perhaps Interstellar before it. My couch and own coffee are not easily surplantable by awfully loud sound (these days I often wear ear plugs in cinema -- WTF!? It's not a concert!!) and the lack of a pause button.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
vlasopes wrote:AWFUL. TRASH. After Star Trek JJA completely killed the Star Wars universe. R.I.P.
But tell us how you really feel, Vlad. :o

I'm reserving judgement. I may go tomorrow (I have a friend who's in the local chapter of the 501st Stormtrooper squadron and she'll be on maneuvers at one of the local theaters tomorrow.)
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
This'll be the first Wars that we haven't organized an outing for.

Worse, I think folks are actively wondering if it might be better to go see Cats instead (and *no-one* seems to think Cats is good).

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Czech National Champion 2011
jadziadax8 wrote:
vlasopes wrote:AWFUL. TRASH. After Star Trek JJA completely killed the Star Wars universe. R.I.P.
But tell us how you really feel, Vlad. :o

I'm reserving judgement. I may go tomorrow (I have a friend who's in the local chapter of the 501st Stormtrooper squadron and she'll be on maneuvers at one of the local theaters tomorrow.)
Lets get back here tomorrow after you see it. I am looking forward to reading your feelings :P

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I'll probably see it in the theaters to satisfy my inner completionist. Thanks for the heads up that it's godawful.

That allows me to lower the bar of expectation to the level where it's possible to be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be NOT completely godawful terrible (and if it is, it's still 2 kid free hours with popcorn candy and soda... :wink: )

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
We enjoyed it!! (I loved it)

Want to see it again.. was happy with how it turned out... and I will fight anyone who doesn't like the *censored* :P

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
It's not Attack of the Clones godawful. The writing and acting are so much better in this movie that that crap.

Is Rise of Skywalker a good movie? No, but I liked it. It is not one of the better Star Wars films but it did a decent job of wrapping up the 9-episode Skywalker storyline.

There are two big problems the last trilogy faced.

First, it was not planned out in advance. At least George Lucas had an overview plot he had written up before breaking it down into individual movies. JJ and Kathleen threw out that story to make episode VII.

Second, the death of Carrie Fisher threw a big wrench into everything. VII was to be Han's story. VIII was to be Luke's and IX was to be Leia's. We will never get what was supposed to have been due to her death. I won't say what happens to Leia in Rise of Skywalker, but I bet what we would have got had she been alive would have been much better.

My rating: 2 stars out of 4.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
AllenGould wrote:This'll be the first Wars that we haven't organized an outing for.

Worse, I think folks are actively wondering if it might be better to go see Cats instead (and *no-one* seems to think Cats is good).
You know you don’t have to see a movie this weekend.
Jono wrote: My rating: 2 stars out of 4.
Snarky response 1: Don’t you mean 2 Death Stars out of 4?
Snarky response 2: Good because there were only two Death Stars.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote:
AllenGould wrote:This'll be the first Wars that we haven't organized an outing for.

Yeah, but if I don't I'd have to visit with relatives, and who wants to do *that*? ;)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I saw the movie in a newly opened '4DX' room in our cinema, so I was slightly distracted by the light flashes, rain, and shaking chairs, and thought I had missed parts of the story, but to me at points was switching a bit too much and not everything made sense.

Visually I did like it, and there were some nice bits and scenes, and the actors seemed to have fun (although some could have had a little bit more attention).

In the end, I definitely had a good time (I'm easily pleased :-) ), but liked it quite less than III, VII and VIII (and of course the original trilogy).

By Andrew
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
It was as good as could be after what we already got from episodes 7 and 8.

The musical score is a retread of what's come before. Good, just nothing original.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:

Jono wrote:My rating: 2 stars out of 4.
Snarky response 1: Don’t you mean 2 Death Stars out of 4?
Snarky response 2: Good because there were only two Death Stars.
... and a -- what's-its-face? Planetkiller? Man, what a stupid idea that was... So, awarding a Planetkiller should be like awarding a Raspberry. It detracts about 5 Death Stars from the total score.

Yeah, I also like some of the visuals and individual ideas and characters... but I really loathe the rehashed stories (rather: combinations of fan service without any semblance of meaning, nor enough coherance to validate the plot as a whole) and the lack of logic and physics (there's a lot going wrong in each of the space battles, for one). I just can't get over how insulting these new films are to old fans (and, as I could imagine, new fans who have an IQ over 55), who are critical of the continuity of the rules set in the past for the franchise. And who don't want to see flashy -- and well-made -- but story-wise bland repeats of the previous trilogies.

I wish I could be more positive, because I hate being a hater, and I sure am envious of anyone who can enjoy these new films. (At least I can enjoy the new Trek films a bit -- but not Wars. If the heart of JJA's Trek -- arguably even after The Future begins -- was battlefield-surgically replaced by an unemotional positronic brain, then the heart of JJA's Wars was ripped out and replaced by a Gonk's CPU. What a disappointment.)

(And actually, my anger -- which I release! -- is due to the fact that I WANT to love these new films.)
Andrew wrote:The musical score is a retread of what's come before. Good, just nothing original.
Interesting that you mention the music! Are you a score listener?

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I haven't seen it yet. Mostly cuz I refuse to pay any money to be disappointed again. So I'm not gonna see it until it's out for free somewhere.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I’m sitting in the theater now. Expectations are properly lowered.
How can we Interact with a Stopped Ship?

(I personally file "2E did it" in the[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

It wasn’t deemed important at the time.

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]