A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
  • 611 posts
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Marquetry wrote:Wow.. Screw them all.
Dare I ask?

(And in addition to NBA, Tom Hanks tested positive. No word on Wilson yet.)

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
The no flight from Europe for 30 days, the NBA thing, the whole damn over-reaction panicky mess.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
If you have a compromised immune system, COVID-19 is serious business.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
There are 9 cases being reported on the state's health department site for Tennessee. This afternoon the University of Tennessee at Martin, where I teach history, announced the campus was officially shutting down in a pro-active approach to keep the faculty and student's safe. We might reopen on April 6, but I kind of doubt it.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
The travel ban may be an overreaction.

Closing things is not. Slowing the spread is essential to keep hospitals able to help people
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Campus is still open here, though there are suspected cases on community transmission in Illinois right now. We're planning to move to fully online classes when campus closes (yeah - I'm figuring when, not if). I'm working through how to deliver physics labs online. Thankfully, I have options.
 -  
Community Contributor
My work started up pandemic protocols this morning, so anyone who sees the public has to be symptom-free (and not been to a Naughty Country in the past few weeks), and has to submit to screening on request at any customer location.

The only upside is that we have big-ass binders walking through our various emergency plans (helped rewrite parts of it once upon a time), so it's nice and paint by numbers.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:Campus is still open here, though there are suspected cases on community transmission in Illinois right now. We're planning to move to fully online classes when campus closes (yeah - I'm figuring when, not if). I'm working through how to deliver physics labs online. Thankfully, I have options.
I don't envy your job. Thank god all I have to do is record lectures. Good luck!

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
The real rubber meets the road in america in all this going to be "what are employers going to do?" Bc if the answer is unpaid forced time away or anything close to it people are still gonna get hurt either financially or they will still work and the infection will spread....
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
In my corner of the Business World (restaurants, consumer goods, tourism), this is MASSIVE deal.

If anything, the prevailing rhetoric is understated and pollyana-ish.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
jjh wrote:In my corner of the Business World (restaurants, consumer goods, tourism), this is MASSIVE deal.

This is going to hurt every brick & mortar sector hard. Most office jobs can be "remoted", but even that has the side-effect of fewer people out and about visiting local establishments. I can only imagine how much the restaurants in downtown Chicago are hurting right now because so many people are not commuting to their jobs in skyscrapers and going out for lunch.
 -  
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote:
jjh wrote:In my corner of the Business World (restaurants, consumer goods, tourism), this is MASSIVE deal.

This is going to hurt every brick & mortar sector hard. Most office jobs can be "remoted", but even that has the side-effect of fewer people out and about visiting local establishments. I can only imagine how much the restaurants in downtown Chicago are hurting right now because so many people are not commuting to their jobs in skyscrapers and going out for lunch.
The hope will be that we'll see a rebound once the coast clears as stir-crazy folks look for something to do. But that depends on what support employees get - if they've been stuck unpaid in quarantine, then we'll see the knock-on effects for months as everyone tries to make rent.

(Alberta just banned gatherings of 250+.)

edit: because we all could use a smile - if you haven't found washyourlyrics.com , check it out - builds custom "wash your hands" posters using the lyrics of a song of your choice.
Last edited by AllenGould on Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
not afraid of death rates at all.

germany stops sport events and starts closing shools.

I decided not to travel as trains might stopp soon too.

exponentional grows of infections expected with means no social or ecconomy lifes soon?

so far no personal problems for me. world ecconomy is what could be effected hard?

southkorea had first successes in stopping spreading (very strict social life cuts)

You will need one more thing for this - compatibil[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]