A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
  • 611 posts
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
monty42 wrote:So whether you need to home school your kids or take a deadly dose of radiation... Let Nimoy be your guide!
Thank goodness it’s not actual homeschooling.

Me: Little Bit, what part of a graph is represented by a derivative?

Little Bit: But mom, I only know 5 + 5 is 10.

Me: What, they didn’t cover calculus in pre-school? That lab school was supposed to be advanced!
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: I just need to remind myself over and over that I am lucky. I have good internet. I can work from home and so can my husband.
That is true. I'm super glad my kid is old enough to work relatively independently.

And a bit of good news - while my provincial officials are a.. *coughahem*, my local school board is a bit more on-the-ball - word is they'll be giving parents the choice of in-school or distance-learning (with the option to move between as conditions change). So now we're just waiting to hear how our school plans to handle that before we decide what the safe plan is.

And on the up-side YouTube and internet means parents have so many more options for interesting information. Was great for filling in the kid's day.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
jadziadax8 wrote:Thank goodness it’s not actual homeschooling.

Me: Little Bit, what part of a graph is represented by a derivative?

Little Bit: But mom, I only know 5 + 5 is 10.

Me: What, they didn’t cover calculus in pre-school? That lab school was supposed to be advanced!
Perhaps you should send your child(ren) to one of those learning hole schools from the first Abrams-verse movie.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
I’m currently passing through Indianapolis, realizing it was supposed to be Gencon this weekend. :(
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
:lol:
Attachments:
F224E494-2780-4FE2-8DDC-FC45A24CF2CA.jpeg
F224E494-2780-4FE2-8DDC-FC45A24CF2CA.jpeg (94.92 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote:In case anyone was wondering, a heat pad will not give you a false positive with a temperature check.
Good to know? :shifty:

Our school board's criteria list includes fatigue and headache as "absolutely can not go to school", so... pretty easy to get a personal day this year. (If you read the criteria strictly, if either of us parents get a headache the kid is locked out of school for 14 days, which will be *hilarious*.)

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:Our school board's criteria list includes fatigue and headache as "absolutely can not go to school", so... pretty easy to get a personal day this year.
I would like anybody to find one high school student that isn't very tired on the morning of a school day. ;-)
 -  
Community Contributor
Maelwys wrote:
AllenGould wrote:Our school board's criteria list includes fatigue and headache as "absolutely can not go to school", so... pretty easy to get a personal day this year.
I would like anybody to find one high school student that isn't very tired on the morning of a school day. ;-)
Especially on day 2, after they've had to lug all their kit around all day (no lockers!). And I weep for the teachers who get a classroom of kids who had gym first block (no lockers includes gym glass, so enjoy those 30-odd teenagers with all their sweaty gym kit in their bags!)

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
Maelwys wrote:
Especially on day 2, after they've had to lug all their kit around all day (no lockers!). And I weep for the teachers who get a classroom of kids who had gym first block (no lockers includes gym glass, so enjoy those 30-odd teenagers with all their sweaty gym kit in their bags!)
Good news! I've found a leak of their plans for future socially-distant schooling, to keep all the kids safe.

-  
Community Contributor
Maelwys wrote: Good news! I've found a leak of their plans for future socially-distant schooling, to keep all the kids safe.
Heh.

Not in Alberta, sadly. We're still waiting to hear how choir and band are supposed to work if they're not allowed to sing or play wind instruments. (And if we can switch the kid to an option where they'll actually Do The Option).
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
Scuttlebutt around campus is the Provost MIGHT decide to make us go fully online for the Fall, instead of allowing labs on campus. She MIGHT make the decision sometime next week. Never mind that I've been prepping for the last three weeks with a blended class in the works. The other prof who's teaching my class with me and I decided to preemptively switch to fully online just so we don't spend ANOTHER week going down the wrong path. *sigh*
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote:Scuttlebutt around campus is the Provost MIGHT decide to make us go fully online for the Fall, instead of allowing labs on campus. She MIGHT make the decision sometime next week. Never mind that I've been prepping for the last three weeks with a blended class in the works. The other prof who's teaching my class with me and I decided to preemptively switch to fully online just so we don't spend ANOTHER week going down the wrong path. *sigh*
For curiousity, what's the prep difference between the two? I keep thinking back (waaay back) to my uni days and figure you get a decent camera with a good view and just film the lecture? Lav mics on the prof? (Basically, what you see for Royal Institute lectures).
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
AllenGould wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:Scuttlebutt around campus is the Provost MIGHT decide to make us go fully online for the Fall, instead of allowing labs on campus. She MIGHT make the decision sometime next week. Never mind that I've been prepping for the last three weeks with a blended class in the works. The other prof who's teaching my class with me and I decided to preemptively switch to fully online just so we don't spend ANOTHER week going down the wrong path. *sigh*
For curiousity, what's the prep difference between the two? I keep thinking back (waaay back) to my uni days and figure you get a decent camera with a good view and just film the lecture? Lav mics on the prof? (Basically, what you see for Royal Institute lectures).
Originally, the class was set up to be a hybrid model; lecture online, but lab on campus. The section was to be divided into two groups, A and B, to accommodate social distancing in lab. In the first week of class, group A would come to campus and do an in-person lab while group B would do an online lab. Then during the second week, the two groups would switch. I had to spell out which group would be doing which lab on the weekly schedule on the Syllabus.

Additionally, when I set up my course shells, I make a folder for each week of instruction. Inside that folder is a table outlining all of the things the students will be working on and what their due dates are (see attached pic). This took me a couple of days to do for each of the classes I'm teaching this semester. Now I have to basically redo every table because everyone will be turning in the same assignment at the same time, which was not the case with the weird flip-flop schedule. In the long run, this change will make my life easier, but in the short term, it's a real PITA.
Attachments:
Weekly Schedule Sample.PNG
Weekly Schedule Sample.PNG (66.79 KiB) Viewed 1153 times

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]